VIN Charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN Charts

I noticed alot of questions concerning VIN numbers of the 70s era truck, some of them being my own.Seems the decoders out there are either hard to use or inaccurate.To add to the confusion I've noticed discrepencies and inaccuracies in almost all of the repair manuals that I own. Over the years I've compiled VIN data for Dodge trucks for the model years 1972 thru 1980, which is basically a chart breaking down the first seven digits of a trucks VIN. This does not apply to vans,cars, or ramchargers/traildusters necessarily.Would anyone be interested in me posting any of this VIN info in this forum?

if you could do it in a format that people could understand then by all means go for it / but just for your info on RCC they have a VIN decoder that go,s back to 1974 that works AWESOME

Comment

I'm sure there would be lots of interest for any new owners now or later. Could make a nice Tech sticky, thanks fer the offer!

Comment

not for it didn't, it gave me an error message everytime, multiple days.
        Originally posted by DODGEBOYS View Post
        if you could do it in a format that people could understand then by all means go for it / but just for your info on RCC they have a VIN decoder that go,s back to 1974 that works AWESOME

Comment

First digit (D=2wd,W=4wd)...Second digit (1=1/2 ton,2=3/4ton,3=1ton)..Third digit (2=crew cab&chassis,3=reg cab/utiline,4=reg cab/sweptline,5=crew cab/utiline,6=crew cab/sweptline,7=clubcab/sweptline,8=clubcab&chassis,9=clubcab/utiline)...Fourth digit (A=6000lbs or less,B=6000lbs + in earlier yrs,J=6001-8500,K=8501-10000,C=10001-14000 lbs)...Fifth digit (B=225-1v,C=225-2v,D=440,E=318,F=360-2v,G=318,H=243diesel,J=400,K=360-2v,T=360-4v)...Sixth digit (2=1972,3=1973,4=1974,5=1975,6=1976,7=1977,8=1978, 9=1979,0 or A=1980)....Seventh digit (C=Jefferson,J & K=Windsor,T & S=Warren) This is about as good as I can do and I'm sure it'll get scrambled as soon as I hit submit:-)

Comment

If someone could put my above post in a more readible format please do so. Feel free to point out any omissions or screw-ups on my part.I don't want to put out any more incorrect data on this subject than what's already out there.Also you will note that the same size engine may have more than one engine code. I believe this is due to different carb/emission/HP ratings on the same CID engine.It gets even more confusing after 1980 but I won't go there.

Comment

Originally posted by smalltowncowboy View Post
              not for it didn't, it gave me an error message everytime, multiple days.
              the last time l used it it worked good / l just tried it and got an error also

Comment

First digit:
                D - 2WD
                W - 4WD

Second digit:
                1 - 100 Series 1/2 ton
                2 - 200 Series 3/4ton
                3 - 300 Series 1ton

Third digit:
                2 - crew cab & chassis
                3 - reg cab/utiline
                4 - reg cab/sweptline
                5 - crew cab/utiline
                6 - crew cab/sweptline
                7 - clubcab/sweptline
                8 - clubcab & chassis
                9 - clubcab/utiline)

Fourth digit:
                A - 6000lbs or less
                B - 6000lbs + in earlier yrs
                J - 6001 - 8500 lbs
                K - 8501 - 10000 lbs
                C - 10001-14000 lbs

Fifth digit:
                B - 225 - 1v
                C - 225 - 2v
                D - 440
                E - 318
                F - 360 - 2v
                G - 318
                H - 243 diesel
                J - 400
                K - 360 - 2v
                T - 360 - 4v

Sixth digit:
                2 - 1972
                3 - 1973
                4 - 1974
                5 - 1975
                6 - 1976
                7 - 1977
                8 - 1978
                9 - 1979
                0 or A - 1980)

Seventh digit:
                C - Jefferson
                J & K - Windsor
                T & S - Warren

>

Comment

You're the Man JimmieD!

Comment

My pleasure, sir!

Comment

bump

Comment

VIN forum

I maybe out of line here, but that is such good info [and i have ramcharger info similar]..why not create a VIN thingy ,just as we have a for-sale thingy ? military\w's\74-93\etc
                        once the info starts coming in i think it would be amazing,
                        factory info only..i guess?
                        fyi; i didin't know '78 was the last yr of 1\2 ton 440's, but read it on this site...so the'80 i was stalking wasn't orig...the vin woulda told me that..get it..
                        jus my 2bits
                        Andyp

Comment

VIN post-it note

Originally posted by Andyp View Post
                          I maybe out of line here, but that is such good info [and i have ramcharger info similar]..why not create a VIN thingy ,just as we have a for-sale thingy ? military\w's\74-93\etc
                          fyi; i didin't know '78 was the last yr of 1\2 ton 440's, but read it on this site...so the'80 i was stalking wasn't orig...the vin woulda told me that..get it..
                          jus my 2bits
                          Andyp
                          I agree. It is my understanding that when this website began, this 72-93 lifestyle forum did not exist. This site was geared more towards the older trucks. It I guess was added as interest & information became available. Now just look at it. Outside of "The Back Room" forum, which isn't tied specifically to trucks, this forum has the most posts/threads. This is where the action is at. Maybe its because the era covers 22 years, but so does the civilian flat fender production era.

Lifestyle trucks & interest in them is no longer an afterthought. Maybe its just a generational thing. When my dad thinks of "Power Wagon", he is thinking about the old rugged flat fender rig that The "Oklahoma Power & Gas" man would drive doing service calls. the gasman would pay my dad a nickel to open the gate for him to drive his FFPW onto their farm. When I think of "Power Wagon" a 78 Macho or maybe 74 W200 Sno-Fiter comes to mind, simply because that's was I was raised around (I am 41). I don't have any in personal memories of FFPW's because I never seen one driven in public. For the record, I have seen more Plymouth Superbird's & Charger Daytona's being actually driven on the street, than FFPW's. (I could solve this by bringing my butt to the rally.) Lifestlye trucks obviously aren't more purer, but definately more abundant in my life.

As people join this site & become acquianted with the Lifestyle era, questions eventually arise concerning VIN data. It would be nice to have a "sticky" some where on board to refer to.

Bucky

Comment

Vin decoder

HERE YA GO

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...0_VIN_decoding

WORKED FOR ME

Originally posted by Andyp View Post
                            jus my 2bits
                            Andyp

Comment

Vin decoder

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...0_VIN_decoding

Comment

Working...
                              X