New M37 owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New M37 owner

Howdy folks, I just joined in the M-37 owner club I guess..

I bought one off of ebay at a not too terrible price and just got it auled back from Arizona. I guess pics are called for...

It runs strong, doesn't have any cancer obvious, so my first project is straightening out the mess that whoever converted the truck to power steering made. I think I need a little help identifying this steering box, and figuring out my best option to redo the PS system.

What is the format for linking to pictures here?

Size Matters

It should be under a certian amount of jpegs, I just don't remember what that is...but when you choose your file/attachment, the browser thingy will say what size it is. Did that make sense?
    Attached Files

Comment

Here we go.

Truck on the way home...

And in the driveway.

I drove it down to the corner store, it runs and drives pretty good. The only real problem is the steering wheel mounting right up to the dash and the master cylinder needs new seals.

The steering is going to have to change first though.. The conversion on it isn't really even safe IMO.

Front of the truck.

Comment

Steering box...

Comment

And the steering wheel, the steering column is shortened way up.

I need to figure out what box that is, what box I want, or maybe one of those drag link hydraulic ram sytems and a stock box and column.

Comment

Drove it in to the office today, I'm going to really like this truck once I get a few things squared away on it.

Anyone know where I can pick up a complete steering column?

Comment

parts availability

You should be able to get a used column from most any dealer that sells takeoffs. John Bizal, possibly AB Linn, certainly any of the big dealers like Vintage Power Wagon and Memphis Equipment.

Charles Talbert with M-Series Rebuild probably has some available from his own power steering conversions.

Did the PS conversion cut into the frame? It is hard to tell in the photos.

Comment

It doesn't look like he cut into the frame, but instead welded a bracket to the frame on the outside about where the original box mounted.

That put the PS box above the frame mostly, which tilted the steering column way up in the front to meet it, and it put the PS box inboard of the frame which has tilted the steering column in toward the center of the truck.

It's also shortened so the turn signal switch is literally right against the dash, with the wheel cocked down so it's almost vertical and cocked to the left so the window crank actually hits the steering wheel when you try to wind the window up or down.

I definitely need a complete new column/shaft, and I'm betting I'll probably need a different steering box as I'd like to move it outboard of the frame or go back with an original box and just go with a drag link PS setup like my old ford cars had. The PS box on it is pretty huge and has too much boost anyway.

I'll probably go ahead and pull out the steering box and column and the master cyclinder this weekend if I don't get too held up going back to Houston to get my 4-runner back, and post up more pics.

I'm pretty good at a lot of things and can work through this, but I know there are a lot of folks here that have been through this PS steering situation before and could save me a lot of time and aggravation on getting the truck upgraded to a state where I can take trips in it and drive it daily if needed.

Charles if your reading here, how do you set up PS conversions and can I buy all the parts for converting, and a used original steering column from you? I really want to get a clean solid and safe steering setup.

Comment

I'm lost for words here

Based on the information & photos you've shared, I think this is the most "Mickey Mouse" steering set up I've seen. I'd be afraid to pull out of the yard with a box bracket that looks like that, has the appearance of being very weak & of poor design. We build our own box bracket from 5/8" cold roll plate that mounts in the original box mounting holes already in the frame rail. Steering wheel, column appearance & position inside the cab doesn't change from original. I can build a system for you when time permits, we are in the middle of a restoration project at this time however. You can see pictures of our set up on customers trucks in the slide show presentations in the client/photo pages on our website if you would like to have a look.

Comment

Nice truck! I did a PS conversion on mine, similar to the Snake River setup, going that route, the column you have might still be long enough.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I agree completely Charles, the bracket is bad, and the box is even a little loose in it. This is the only really bad issue the truck has other than normal wear and tear and some scars it got from I assume some brush fire equipment in the back.

WA, is that the snake river setup? Is that box and bracket available? That looks a lot more like what I have in mind. I will need a new column though, this is very short.

Comment

Snake River

See: http://www.snakeriver4x4.com/
                        Tom is very helpful, can set you up.

Originally posted by jmacqueen View Post
                        is that the snake river setup? Is that box and bracket available? That looks a lot more like what I have in mind. I will need a new column though, this is very short.

Comment

Yeah the snake river setup looks like it will do fine for me, it does look a bit different than the setup WA posted the picture of though, at least the mounting bracket.

Comment

J, Yep the same set up, my bracket came off e-bay, but they can be found from Tom and in junk yards. My column is cut off so it extends a little ways past the fire wall, so you might be surprised that your column might just work.

Yes, that's a broom handle I used during the mock-up.
                            I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                            Will
                            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

The problem with mine is if I pull it back enough to get the steering wheel back where it needs to be the shaft seems like it'll be almost flush with the firewall.

The length outside the firewall looks to be about the same as yours, but inside my wheel is jammed up against the dashboard and needs to come back out I guess at least 6-8".

I need to tear it apart and get a better look at it and get some measurements.

Maybe I could make up the difference using a longer intermediate shaft with the u-joints on it though.

What is the difference between the snake river 4x4 cast iron bracket and the steel one your using? Do you know who made yours?

Comment

Working...
                              X