Truck pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck pull

Last night, Denise and I went to a truck and tractor pull competition in Lyman, Wyoming with the '49 Power Wagon. I entered the Light Gas Truck division and was the very first puller of the evening. Since I was the first to run in my division, I had the option to do another pull if I thought I could do better. My first pull (ever), got the sled to 109 feet before I powered out. I elected to try again, so dropped a gear for the next try. The ol' girl roared to 239 feet before losing traction, but the engine was still pulling hard.

The next (and only other competitor in my class) was a Chevrolet with a 454 cubic inch big block. He powered out at 121 feet, so the ol' Power Wagon did us proud by going nearly twice as far on about half the cubic inches.

This was the first time we had even seen truck pulling in person, so being able to compete was a lot of fun.
    Attached Files

More truck pull pictures

A few more pictures of the truck pulls. I won a hat and got my $35.00 entry fee back for first place in my division. We also got the best seats in the place to watch the rest of the competition.
    Attached Files

Comment

Way to go Russ!
      Just think how far you'd go with decals and big nitrous bottles on your bumper...and more chrome!....= )

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Wow, a legend in your own time! THANKS RUSS for putting up such a good showing for Dodge, and for being willing to put your truck to the test. Stomping a OHV 454 with a flat 6, now that's got to be some kind of record? Amazing and again, congratulations, fantastic!

Comment

truck pull

Russ that looked like too much fun, way to spank em.

Comment

Pullin'

JimmieD, I'm a legend only in my own mind (grin).

Glen, the 9.50X24 wheels and tires I got from you probably would have broken an axle, but they would have looked right at home with the rest of the pullers.

Here's our next puller project - just try to imagine black smoke going up about 300 feet while the tractor is doing a nice wheelie!
              Attached Files

Comment

I Don't know, Russ, but that looks like a lady that wouldn't want ANYBODY messing with HER TRACTOR! Now of course if she could drive it in the events, well.... :~ )

Comment

IHC Cub

You're right about not messing with that Cub, because Momma Bear will have you for a snack! She loves driving the little Cub.

Comment

Nice goin Russ!

"Walk softly and drive a big Dodge" is what I always say! I used to attend the Deleware County Fair, with some regularity, about a lifetime ago. We had tractor/truck pulls there too and it was lways the highlight for me. Even then, there was a Power Wagon that use to pull and always shamed those boys in the Chey's and Fords. There was also a Binder that entered but could never match the mighty MOPAR!

Thanks for the great showing!

Dave
                    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                    1954 Ford 860 tractor
                    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Good job Russ!

I was interested in what gears and tire size/type got you such a good pull. I've seen many stock vehicles do poorly when hooked to the sled. Last one I went to Dodge won both stock categories. One was a hemi and the other was a ctd.

Kevin

Comment

Spec's on the old Power Wagon

This truck has 4.89:1 gears, LockRight locker in the rear, the front differential is still open, the tires are 9.00X16 STA SuperLugs at 35 psi and the engine is Dodge industrial 265 (from a combine) with sodium filled valves. There's another truck and tractor pull scheduled for September 15 in Salt Lake City at the Utah State Fair. It's really tempting to try it again.

Dave, are there any pulls in your part of the world? Roger Atkinson of Fort Collins sent me a picture of his Power Wagon taking first place at a pull there many years ago.

Comment

I guess I don't have a diffinitive answer there Russ, but my quess is no. There seems to be several shows of various types around the area, but I know of no pulls here around Cheyenne.

I should look into that!

BTW, what gear combination seemed to work best for you in the big pull?
                          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                          1954 Ford 860 tractor
                          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Congrats

Nice going Russ, you did us proud!

Comment

Knowing how the truck did against its competition and then reading what the drivetrain is, man, that's just plain ridiculous haha! As in, "Able to pour out a truck load of ridicule on any lesser makes..." Hilarious!

Comment

Working...
                              X