2007 Idaho Trail Ride pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Idaho Trail Ride pictures

I got my digital pictures downloaded, so here are a few of the better shots.

The first picture is Roxy Eickhof on my trailer with about 3,000 lbs. of tires and wheels that I picked up in Cul de Sac and Lewiston, Idaho. The second picture is a new Power Wagon that screeched to a stop and pulled into the gas station in Rogerson, Idaho while we were topping off our gas tanks. This guy couldn't believe what he was seeing - two old Power Wagons ready to take on the toughest trails! The third picture is a view upstream of the East Fork of the Jarbidge River, with the crater of the Matterhorn in the background.
    Attached Files

Wonderful...
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Serious Senery

Russ, that is really some picture, the East Fork/Jarbridge River & the Matterhorn, is this area public land or private?

Comment

Jarbidge lands

Nearly everything shown in the Jarbidge River / Matterhorn picture is BLM, Forest Service or Wilderness land.

Here are a few more pictures from the Idaho Trail Ride. The first picture is at the Bear Creek Summit. The second picture is what is left of the large snow drift that is always there at Coon Creek Summit. The third picture is the group having fun winching a down tree off the trail.
        Attached Files

Comment

I bet that was fun getting around that snow drift with that drop off there and that left rear wheel off the ground. That's what ya call pucker up in the seat LOL... Looked like a great time to be had.

Doug

Comment

Wildlife seen

We weren't able to drive across the bottom of the big snowdrift - there was only about 50 feet to traverse, but it was too steep. The dropoff on the downhill side is nearly vertical for about 300 feet.

We came across a swarm of Mormon crickets West of Jarbidge. The affected area that we traversed was about 10 miles West to East and about 50 miles North to South. We talked to some folks who ran into the South end of the swarm much further South than we travelled. If you calculate 1 cricket per square foot, and only the affected area that we knew about, that would give you a swarm of nearly 27 million crickets per square mile. 500 square miles at this density would give you nearly 14 billion crickets. Most of the area we saw crickets had about 4 per square foot, plus the reported sighting of more crickets South of the area that we travelled ups the number tremendously. We also did not find the Western edge of the swarm, so I have no idea how far the swarm stretched to the West. A couple of pictures show Mormon crickets, and Gary Carlin's Irish Elkhound.

I also found a bullsnake (about 5 feet long) stretched out on the road. This fellow paid me no attention, even when my tires passed within inches of his tail.
            Attached Files

Comment

Russ,
              Great pics. SOmeday I would like to join you, as I used to live in northern Utah and am a little familiar with the beautiful scenery in that general region.
              On another note, when I was a kid I had a bull snake as a pet once. I built a box for it to live, and it tamed down very quickly and was fun. It was a terror on mice- would dispatch them quickly in its coils.

Comment

Glen Baldwin's trucks

Doc Dave, we would be happy to have you join the Idaho Trail Ride. We only had 4 trucks this year, but it was still a great time. This trail ride has always been open to all interested people, and there has been a big variety of vehicles including a Unimog 404, a Scout 80, a Scout II, Jeeps and Chev pickups.

I grew up on a ranch in Montana, and we made sure that any bull snake that showed up was treated with great respect. They not only eat lots of mice, but also take care of rattlesnakes too.

The attached pictures are of Glen Baldwin's Diamond T truck with 25 hp Fairbanks Morse engine mounted on the back, and his Power Wagon. If I remember right, the Diamond T is a '49 and the Power Wagon in early 50's. Glen also has a bunch of Town Wagons and other Power Wagons. He lives in Cul de Sac, Idaho.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Russ!
                  I really enjoyed those shots,...although it was a tad hard scrolling with my work gloves on.....!

Comment

Great pics.

Thanks Russ, It took me a while to figure out how to view your pictures. Your camera does a beautifull job. That bug looked like it could jump off of the screen and eat my alfalfa. Glen

Comment

Big tires & bugs

That bug was looking for your alfalfa, but he'll need to pack a lunch and bring his big canteen to get to your place.

I'm looking for 20inch super single wheels for the big Michelins now. I tried several places in Ogden and Salt Lake City, but only found one wheel so far that will work. A salvage yard North of Ogden has a set of 4 split rims (2 piece rims that bolt together like forklift wheels), but I believe they're illegal to use anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X