No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well, ill try and redo everything, as i can.

i turned it over tonight, ill try and make a short video of it running tomorrow.

the tube idea was my buddies. it wouldnt be very easy, but it IS removeable.

Comment

• Boy, This School Stuff Keeps Ya Busy..

Lee:

In answer to a question on the last page, I have the NP 540 tranny in the Beast. The 1 with the OD.

Later
      Ugg

Comment

• Thanks Bruce but your link does not work either

I am not sure why it does not work . Gotta be a formatting issue .
        I am still working on my skid plate / transfercase / trannie mount. lots of welding and a few warps to deal with .

Comment

• How about that.

I am getting ready to trim and drill my transmission ,skidplate mount . Before doing this I thought it might be smart to check the frame. The measurement is very accurate , like dead on . 175" 1/16 x 175" 1/16 This kind of thing does not happen very often. A look in many frame books will show you 1/4" is good enough and some will go as high as 5/16" . This is a diagonal measurement which means your frame is out of alignment by 1/2 the diagonal measurement . Generaly I shoot for 1/8" and that is considered dead on .

I am impressed.

Bruce

Comment

• Cool! That is good!

Comment

• skidplate pictures

The plate is not finished . But it is done far enough to support the transmission and move on to other more pressing parts. Like the steering and front motor mounts .
              I plan on boxing the front tube and countersink the bolt holes in the tube. Where the transfer case pokes through I may add a bolt on skidplate or weld it up solid , but that will come later .

This plate should act as a torque box and prevent some of the frame twisting that cracks these Carryall bodies.

Take care

Bruce

edit - If you look at the photo you can see the rear yoke just visible in one of the shots. This was done to make greasing the thing relativly easy and to provide clearance for the drive shaft.
              Attached Files

Comment

• looks GREAT!
                im going to belly-pan mine too.

Comment

• how thick and how large a belly pan ?

I have seen 1/4 hot rolled plate , 3/8 aluminum plate used for some skidplates and a few round tube girdles with plate either bolted or welded to the girdle. I think it would be possible to go to a thinner and lighter plate if a person had access to either some chrome moly plate or a big enough bead roller to put some shape into the metal . The 1/8 th plate that comes from the factory on some models gets bent out of shape quite quickly . The plate should be thick enough to jack on and support a vehicle.
                  The skidplate in the previous shots is about 20 inches x the width of the frame. I could have gone up to 6 inches larger but I wanted easy access to the rear driveshaft universals and to leave room for the muffler.
                  The next issue is getting the front steering to work without clunking on either the frame or having the spring hit the draglink . I spent a few hours at the wreckers going through steering arms today . So far the best one I have found is in my scrap pile , origin unknown .

Best regards

Bruce
                  Attached Files

Comment

• What Are You

Using to suspend your Carryall, Jack Stands? Great work!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                      Using to suspend your Carryall, Jack Stands? Great work!
                      Extra heavy duty milk cartons.......

Comment

• Those metal milk crates used to work ok, till a corner would collapse

The carryall is rolling around on some Michelyn XZLs or whatever they are called . I rolled it out in June for a peek . I did not want to fit the engine and trans without the axles in place . The springs are not stock .

Bruce
                        Attached Files

Comment

• ooooh, I like that stance!

Comment

• Yeah....

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                            ooooh, I like that stance!
                            She is sitting real nice, have you peeked at it with the running boards yet?

Comment

• No, I'm waiting to be surprised....= )

Comment

• I have not seen it with the new running boards

Got to get the motor and steering squared away first then I will fit the front fenders and rad shell back on . At that time I will toss on the boards and work on the exhaust. The winch mount is a bit of an issue too . I think I found a pitman arm to work with the saginaw scout box . A 2000 Ford F 350 arm may fit the bill . I will need to change the taper to the other side . I am going to my local furd dealer tomorrow and have a peek under their trucks .
                                10 bucks says there will be a salesman out there by the time I am laying under the truck .

Back to work on Tuesday . Where did the summer go ?

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X