No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the extra holes for air conditioning?

How much clearance between the bottom of your oil pan and your axle ? And how far away is the back of the engine block from the firewall ?

I think I can use a flat piece of steel for my trans crossmember. At least for a start . One of the kits out there makes a flat trannie plate for the new jeeps out of 1/4 inch . They add control arms and stuff to it. I think 3/16 would be fine . Once everything was set up and trimmed it would be simple to add a stiffener rib or flange where needed.

You are flying on that thing now.

keep us imformed
    Bruce

Comment

• first time out of the shop in a year

Ok here is a side shot of the HSLATT special. I need to get a new perspective on this thing . Way too much engineering and little muck ups have got me feeling just a tad ornary . So in the interest of self preservation I elected to roll the carryall out into the rain for a quick look see and photo shoot . Looks half way decent but there is a long ways to go yet.

The steering box hitting the starter is quite the issue with me I have been messing with the trannie all day and i figure I need to drop in the motor and have a good look at what hits what . There is now a 50 % chance that I am going to go for a cross steer system . If I go this way I have no idea if the box is going on the outside or inside of the frame . Ideally it would sit on top with a long shaft dropping down the outside of the frame and clear everything.

Its raining again .
      I think my feet are starting to rot .

Bruce
      Attached Files

Comment

• Bruce,

I'm just throwing ideas out there. A company called Classic Performance Products makes a lot of power steering gears and kits for many different applications including a power assist (piston type) for an early ford F100. I checked into them because they are producing a power steering box for the 57 chevy which has a long sector shaft (6.5") and is reverse rotation - so they told me. www.classicperform.com

I'm going to use Ray's kit if I can when I get to that point.

Bill

Comment

• Cross steering in a PW or Carryall

This just might work . It is a Saginaw reverse rotation box out of an International Scout . Getting the rebuild kits for this box is not difficult and many of the parts interchange with other Saginaw boxes. At least that is what I have dug up so far . What on earth is the lump on the fender well shield for ? It covers my steering box right up and looks like it was made for this purpose. .

The box in the previous post might work too. Kinda pricey for us canuckian guys. Basically double.
          Looks like I have the other PS unit up for grabs . This one fits in the stock location . Shipping to the states might be a bit steep though.

Bruce
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
            What on earth is the lump on the fender well shield for ? It covers my steering box right up and looks like it was made for this purpose. Bruce
            Hi Bruce, I always assumed "the lump" was for the battery on the trucks that used the same left fender well shield. The 6 volt battery on other WC trucks would fit under the hood without any problems and that is where I put my battery.

Took my Carryall out on a short tour around town today and found out it really takes a long time to get home. Seems like everyone wants to look at it. Keep up the good work.

Comment

• battery box it is.

I guess I am going to fill the area with my steering box . That cummins 4BT is going to get centered or even set 1/2 an inch to the drivers side.
              this will help provide room for the exhaust and balance out the batteries , drive shaft , exhaust pipe and transfer case that sticks out to the passenger side . It may help clear the differential too. I do not know if that will be an issue .
              Mind you the steering box and related hardwear are on the drivers side . So things more or less balance out with a centered engine. Not that weight on one side or the other is much of an issue when designing one of these set ups .. Clearance certainly is.

Thanks

Bruce

Comment

• Gonna Be A Quiet Ride

Hello Lee,
                As always, you are out-doing yourself again, looking NICE & QUIET!
                Have A Safe 4th Everyone,

Comment

• well, THIS time i plan on actually making a rather large writeup. my solutions and why.

hey bruce!

Comment

• Originally posted by mcinfantry View Post
                    well, THIS time i plan on actually making a rather large writeup. my solutions and why.

hey bruce!
                    How about an article for the magazine???? ....with photos.
                    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• sure. id love to. i was going to ask you about that!

Comment

• Found some sort of smooshed war wagon

While hiking on a old logging road we came across a camp that had been cleaned up recently . That is everywhere except a road to a landing . Tucked away on the landing was a rusted out chev and a flipped over Dodge something or other. The frame and hangers look much like my carryalls . The mess was flattened to about 12 inches high and covered with ferns and stuff. Sitting on top of the old cross member was one excellent black out light turn signal lense. The transfer case and axles were still there and some of the cast pieces that attach to the frame may be worth grabbing . Unfortunitly the only access to the area was is by barge.
                        The area is not open to the public but I will be in there a few times trying to get access to another area . To get there will mean some clever wheeling and opening up about 1/2 a mile of old road. The old road is supposed to be reopened but that could happen anytime in the next decade. I suspect there may be a little bit of pruning before the big machinery ever arrives on site.
                        The 4bt is about 1/2 way out of the bread van . I cleaned up a spot in the back 40 and have dropped the trans , pulled the radiator and removed the racks from 1/2 of the back . The plan is to slide the motor to the back of the van and load it from there.

best regards

Bruce

Comment

• 4bt front engine mount .

For you power wagon builders this mount may be what you are looking for . I am using a cross steering system and I think the frame crossmember will interfere with the steering . I have left the front motor mount in for mock up purposes only and to see if it would work on a less modified truck using more stock running gear. For those of you using the drag link style steering the front motor mount may simplify your installation . This and the ford T19 trannie with the bell housing motor mounts may be the simplest way to drop a 4bt into a PW. I have never seen this combination used on a PW before but it sure looks like it could work in many builders favour .

Bruce
                          Attached Files

Comment

• the only problems i see (i looked at that route) is:
                            1) the rotation point for the engine is too close together and the rear tranny mount is so far away, i think you will bust motor/tranny mounts ALOT. i dont think anyone has ever mounted the cummins that way in an OTR appliction. that doesnt mean it cant work, im just not an engineer.

2) the engine has to be fairly far forward, and as a result you have to mount the motor high to mount it that way, and high to clear the pumpkin. as a result you are raising the COG, and also are going to push everything too close to the hood.

sam tarver just bought a 55 powerwagon and after looking at how "clean" and easy my mounts are, he is going to copy my designs and tranny choice.

i mid mounted my engine for vibration and strength. i think the people who have done 4bt swaps have mentioned mid-mount as a vibration reducer.

now your idea may work if you spread the forces over to the original front mounts and used a SAE (3053a) tranny and mid mount the bellhousing like the original way. I also looked at trying to use the front mount holes, but couldnt get it to fit in a way i felt comfortable with.

i am interested in how it wil work, and support your efforts.
                            has anyone mounted a gas engine that way?

Comment

• And this is what it looks like from the side

Just dummied into position . I have lots of clearance around the differential and the firewall . No plans for the motor mounts yet or the trans for that matter .
                              Lots of designs in the back of my mind though . I think it is time to look at some other folks mounts .
                              Bruce

edit #1 - at present this is sitting about 2 inches higher than Lee,s set up.
                              edit #2- And from looking at Paul's site my dummied block may sit at the same level as his but further back.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by mcinfantry View Post

i am interested in how it wil work, and support your efforts.
                                has anyone mounted a gas engine that way?
                                Nearly all of the V-8 conversions mount that way.

I haven't seen any Cummins using that mount however.

Comment

Working...
                                X