bed wood dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bed wood dimensions

I know the answer to this is out there but I can't seem to find it. I'm all thumbs when it comes to typing and now I'm down to one. The wheel on the angle grinder grenaded earlier in the week. My left thumb caught some shrapnel cutting and breaking it.

I've been thinking of things I might accomplish as I am already getting antsy sitting around. I think I'll go to the sawmill and buy rough cut white oak for my bed floor. That's a long range project but it's something I can do with limited dexterity. The question is what width boards do I need. The truck is a 1964 WM300. I've seen this information somewhere but it's hiding from me. Jim

I had the information for my 48 B-1 somewhere and I lost it too. I was gonna do the same, go to the saw mill that made the wood for my trailer gates

Comment

Bed Wood dimensions

This doesn't exactly answer your post, but Todd Somers has a nice piece on the WDX bed wood dimensions....

http://www.t137.com/ToddSomers/Bed/index.htm
      Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
      2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

The late 2nd series and 3rd series are similar as to the number of boards and width of the boards. The two outside boards are wider than the inner boards.
        If you get white oak at the mill, have them rough cut it 1" thick.
        Also have them cut it at least 12" longer than you need, and 1" wider than the final dimension.
        Stack it in your garage for one year for it to air dry. THere will be some cracks at the ends but those will get cut off. When ready, cut, rip and plane it to the desired dimension.
        That is what I did on my early 2nd series and it turned out very nice. See avatar.
        Here is a discussion of the dimensions for your truck.

http://www.t137.com/archives/wwwboar...s/2160971.html

Comment

Thanks Doc Dave,
          That's just what I needed! Jim

Comment

Glad to help.

I have promised Gordon for several years to write something up for the PWA on a home-made wood bed and need to actually do it.

A few other suggestions:
            When you stack the boards, be sure to place them in layers. I had the two wider ones on the bottom, them placed small sticks, maybe 3/4" on a side, as spacers above these then another layer. On the very top, I put a pine plank over the pile with a few cinder blocks on top of it to put a little pressure down on the drying boards to help prevent any warpage.
            Also, hand pick the lumber and avoid ones with any appreciable knots. Knotty wood warps more.

To finish the wood after drying and milling I bought a kit from the Bruce Horkey Company that included some good marine spar varnish to finish the boards.

One last helpful hint. Before I cut the oak boards down to finished size, I got pine 3/4" lumber from the lumberyard and constructed the bed of it, making all the cuts such as those around the wheel wells and rabbets. When I was sure everything was "right", I then used these boards as patterns for the oak. This prevented a mistake, as the wheel well cut out section was a little tricky to get just right. Also it allowed me to "practice" with the rabbeting set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
              Glad to help.

I have promised Gordon for several years to write something up for the PWA on a home-made wood bed and need to actually do it.

That would be really wonderful!
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Ok, sssooooooooo, HOW MUCH WOULD YA CHARGE ME TO MAKE MY BED!!!???? lol ;)

Comment

oak lumber

Is there any interest if I get lumber for more than just my bed. I expect to be at the Iowa rally in June. The mill sells kiln dried as well, but I'm buying green for mine.

Comment

Nick,
                    It would be a neat thing if at least one person from the west coast attended the Iowa Rally and could haul back some white oak that Bob mentions. THen you and others could make your bed….we would be available for advice!

Comment

Ok, Ill pay for the wood, and now taking donations to pay for the trip!! lol But seriously, some day I plan on making that trip with my truck. I think that would be a blast. Just would hafta decide if I wanna drive it or trailer it. Think Id lean to trailering it, since its a stock motor, it would take a month to get there. lol

Comment

I think trailer is the way to go.
                        Not only would it take a LONG time to drive the PW, your hearing would be bad without ear plugs, and also you might be pretty dry from all the sweating that your doing due to no A/C. Iowa has humidity…

Comment

Working...
                        X