Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6V wiring

Ok guys and Gals,

I am strating my restoration on my 46 FFPW. I would like to make my own wiring Harness, however with all the reading im doing about wire gauge for a 6V system, I figured I would volly the question to the experts. I am keeping the original 6V system in the truck but want to completely replace all the wiring. What gauge of wire should I use? I was thinking of 10 gauge wire from Ancor Marine. Is this overkill for a 6V system or is it still not adequate enough? Please let me know your thoughts.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50561

6V wiring

When I rewired my truck, I used the schematic out of my shop manual to determine colors and wire gauge. Not sure if your 46 is much different than my 53.
    Attached Files
    Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
    2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by bmhenry View Post
      Ok guys and Gals,

I am strating my restoration on my 46 FFPW. I would like to make my own wiring Harness, however with all the reading im doing about wire gauge for a 6V system, I figured I would volly the question to the experts. I am keeping the original 6V system in the truck but want to completely replace all the wiring. What gauge of wire should I use? I was thinking of 10 gauge wire from Ancor Marine. Is this overkill for a 6V system or is it still not adequate enough? Please let me know your thoughts.

Most of the wiring on the truck does not carry much current. There is some need for heavier gauge wiring, but 14 gauge would be a great plenty for much of it. Have a look at your wiring harness to see what was used and where. Don't just use 10 gauge everywhere.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks Gordon. That is the response I was looking for. Unfortunately there isnt much wiring to go off of. The only thing that is wired is the engine, generator, starter, and ignition switch. Basically just enough to make it drive.. Thanks again guys. I will try and post some pics this weekend..

Comment

Marine grade wire is overkill for a FFPW and a waste of money. No need for tinned wire on a truck, although marine-grade connectors are nice if you are not looking for original appearance.

If you are going to spend extra money, spend it on the original style insulated wire and connectors that are available from some specialty suppliers.

Comment

Ok guys and Gals,

The wiring diagrahm already posted by 53 crusher in pdf is all you need.
            Color gauge location.
            Click on his link.

Tom
            WDX & Misc. Pics.
            http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
            "47" Dodge WDX WW
            "52" Dodge M-37 WW
            "54" Willys M38A1
            "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
            "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
            "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
            "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
            "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
            "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Thanks guys.. I will get this job underway then. I was just unsure about the guage of the wire, given it was a 6Vsystem. Obviously, I am not very familiar with electrical. LOL..

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find the "lighting" harness for the instrumnet lights for a 46 WDX or is there anything aftermarket? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find the "lighting" harness for the instrumnet lights for a 46 WDX or is there anything aftermarket? Thanks for the help.
                  Does it have an actual, separate lighting harness?

Comment

An edit to post 3 above, I really wanted to say 16 gauge for small bulb lighting circuits, I realize, after seeing some of my wire packages in the shop.

Comment

Gordon,

You are correct. I should have stated the follwoing: the wiring for the three bulbs and their connectors, that connect into the back of instrument clusters and to lighting pull switch. I am not sure if this is a seperate "harness" or not.

Comment

Try these guy's for parts to make your own harness.

Click
                        http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

Tom
                        Attached Files
                        WDX & Misc. Pics.
                        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                        "47" Dodge WDX WW
                        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                        "54" Willys M38A1
                        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker