power wagon wheel bolt pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power wagon wheel bolt pattern

Anyone tell me the bolt pattern on a 1950 Power Wagon? Anything common that would fit so I can roll it on a trailer? What size wheels?
    Thanks for the help

Originally posted by gyman98 View Post
    Anyone tell me the bolt pattern on a 1950 Power Wagon? Anything common that would fit so I can roll it on a trailer? What size wheels?
    Thanks for the help
    I do not have the exact measurements handy, but they will not help much anyway.

The stud pattern used on the civilian WDX-WM300 model Power Wagons is what is known as the "Budd Pattern." Budd made the wheels, and for whatever reason, this particular pattern was exclusive to them. So, if you don't have the Power Wagon wheels, the best bet in finding something else that will fit is to use wheels from military Dodge all-wheel-drive trucks:

- WWII 3/4-ton and 1 1/2-ton trucks
    - M37 trucks and their variants
    - WWII 1/2-ton trucks
    - Some military trailers

Beyond these, some Ford AA model trucks from the '30s through the '40s used the same Budd pattern. I have also been told, but have not verified, that some Chevy trucks from the same time period used the Budd pattern.

The Ford (and probably Chevy too) wheels are extremely hard to find. They were a 20-inch diameter wheel and were typically narrower than a Power Wagon wheel. All of the rest I have listed are 16-inch diameter wheels and can be found in two widths: 5.5-inches and 6.5-inches. They were also made in combat style and split ring style and a few have been found with a 2-piece safety split ring.

Others here have had custom wheels made and maybe they will offer some help.

Comment

What model, the one with the 5 lug Budd Pattern?

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Thanks guys that answers all my questions. Yes going by the pictures they are 5 bolt's. I guess I'll have to winch it on with flat tires and get new rubber on it when I get it home

Comment

The bolt pattern is 5 x 6 7/8". The only other vehicles to use this pattern are other period military vehicles (IHC and others), 1933 and earlier Ford AAs/BBs, Dodge Bros 1935 and earlier (IIRC), and 1938 to 1947 Ford tonners. The Ford tonner wheels are shallow dished and won't really work on a FFPW. Stu McMillan

Comment

Originally posted by truckdog62563 View Post
            The bolt pattern is 5 x 6 7/8". The only other vehicles to use this pattern are other period military vehicles (IHC and others), 1933 and earlier Ford AAs/BBs, Dodge Bros 1935 and earlier (IIRC), and 1938 to 1947 Ford tonners. The Ford tonner wheels are shallow dished and won't really work on a FFPW. Stu McMillan
            Interesting.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Backspacing and 20" Ford rims

Yesterday, I posted in the "Conversions..." thread that in measuring my stock Budd rims I found that the backspacing measured 8", not 7" and wondered where the 7" came from. Still wondering.
              Also, if you look at photo #141 at Moparnorm's carryall site (http//imageevent/moparnorm/carryall.com) you will see some Ford 20" rims with 11.00 R20 NDT's mounted on my WC53. The picture was taken a number of years back when I was first starting that particular project and since I keep that in Maine and I am in Mass. I can't offer any other pictures. I have had no issues with putting those rims and tires on that vehicle.
              DavidGB

Comment

DavidGB,

If yours are 8", you might have the dual wheel rims, and I would not change them as from time to time others are looking for them. I'd like to come across a set some day.

Will
                I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                Will
                WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Backspacing

See my reply in the thread "Michelin XMLs" under Conversions and Modifications.
                  Thank you,
                  DavidGB

Comment

Budd Wheels

I have 8 dual wheels off of a 40-41 WC. I am looking for some wheels I can mount in exchange on the same 40-41 WC.

Comment

Budd 10 bolt rims will also work as they are on the 6.875" bolt circle too. They were used on many medium duty trucks I believe to present day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ggg6 View Post
                        Budd 10 bolt rims will also work as they are on the 6.875" bolt circle too. They were used on many medium duty trucks I believe to present day.
                        Hmmm? Are you maybe thinking of the Chevy/GMC 10 lug x 7.25" pattern wheels? Besides the pattern difference, these would also be hub piloted rather than stud piloted like our PWs. I have no catalog reference for any 10 x 6 7/8" pattern wheels having been made. Stu

Comment

You know you are probably right, those are the rims I was thinking about.

Comment

10 lug rims

If you do a search on this forum, you will find multiple mentions of 10 hole rims that have been adapted for use on Power Wagons. I believe they are all 20" rims.
                            DavidGB

Comment

I did a search and came up with the below thread. The 20" wheels used here were old Ford AA (also could use '35 and earlier Dodge Bros). These have the same 5 x 6 7/8" pattern as FFPWs. These will generally be much narrower than PW wheels and, unless the outer rims are replaced, won't support wide 20" tires. There's not much reason to do narrow 20s because they aren't much taller than stock NDT 9.00 x 16s. If I was to do this I'd want a 6" wide rim since that rim supports an 8.25 x 20" tire that will measure about 38" outside diameter. The NDT 9.00 x 16" measures about 35". Maybe a 5" rim would be ok too with a 7.50 x 20" measuring just shy of 37". Better yet would be a 22.5" x 6" outer rim to accept a 9R22.5" tire, also 38" outside diameter.

In this thread there's mention of the GMC wheels being modified to work. The adapters Jonas Smith had made pretty clearly convert his truck to the 6 lug x 8.75" pattern. These wheels are real common, still being produced matter-of-fact, and would be a good fix. Similar adapters were factory installed on my Marmon-Herrington F-3s to convert the stock 8 x 6.5" rear hub to the big 5 lug x 8" pattern. Picture below. Stu

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...+wheels&page=2

Comment

Working...
                              X