Differential Gear Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential Gear Swap

I'm thinking about swapping the diff gears in my M37 to the higher 4.88. I figure this will up the road speed a little bit and make everything run at a lower rpms, while still keeping the gear ratio low enough for good offroad performance.

What are your experiences with this? Where can the components be purchased from? Is it a good idea?

Thoughts?

The gear change is one of the better upgrades that are possible, IF your engine is in good enough condition to support the extra load that will be applied as a result. I would highly recommend the change, however some that drive over hilly terrain are less than happy with a few extra down shifts as a result of higher ratio and the load you may be hauling. Most are really pleased, but with the few it is usually a combination of an engine suffering from low compression as a result of excessive wear, plus the other factors I mentioned that brings on dissatisfaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
      The gear change is one of the better upgrades that are possible, IF your engine is in good enough condition to support the extra load that will be applied as a result. I would highly recommend the change, however some that drive over hilly terrain are less than happy with a few extra down shifts as a result of higher ratio and the load you may be hauling. Most are really pleased, but with the few it is usually a combination of an engine suffering from low compression as a result of excessive wear, plus the other factors I mentioned that brings on dissatisfaction.
      No trouble on the engine. It's going to get a rebuild soon. From somewhere.

The concern I have is the off road performance. How much will it be affected?

Also, what is the cost associated with doing such a swap?

Comment

Off road performance in the lower gears will not be noticably affected at all.

The best way to do the swap is in conjunction with a complete differential overhaul. It is the highest cost to rebuild of any gear box on the truck, the gears are custom made and the wholesale bearing cost for 1 unit is now over $600. Total parts cost for 1 unit to do it the best it can be will tear up $1,500, with labor at around $650, if your cores are good rebuildable units. Total cost for both front and rear diff rebuilds with 4.89 gearing will be in the $4,000 - $4,300 range. You can do it for a little less if you cut corners, but with the cost of custom gearing, I wouldn't at all recommend taking that risk. You could easily wind up losing a $450 set of gears if something went wrong as a result.

Comment

Working...
        X