weird engine id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird engine id

Been reading this great site for weeks,decided to give it shot! Just acquired a
    1943 WC-53 Carryall and am having trouble with engine id. The cast boss on upper left drivers side has no stampings of any kind, the only cast in numbers
    are on drivers side, below dist. and starter and consist of a flat section about 5 inches long with a "5" cast in. Then above that is "719", further right is the number "1119729-1". I read somewhere that Chrysler supposedly supplied replacement engines without numbers on the upper cast boss to be stamped by person replacing the engine, could this be true? Also the Head stampings are a large D above the number "1120804-4". Interestingly enough the block is painted the typical Dodge Blue, and the head is Orange. Hope someone can shed some light on this, I am so amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this site and the great looking rigs. Thanks in advance!!!

Engine

the engine color should be smoke gray for 3/4 tons. I have never seen a blue falthead form the factory in anything. only silver and gray. you are probalby right about replacemnt engine or someone groudn off the number after rebuild or because they stole the car it was in and in some states they used to use engine numbers as VINs.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, info is much appreciated. Is their any way to tell what it is based on the info. given?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaegi View Post
        in some states they used to use engine numbers as VINs.
        Ah, so that might have been why the 49 PW from New Mexico was titled to the Engine not the Frame/Cab serial number.
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

The Oregon title I received with the truck is "T21471117", which from reading this forum is actually an engine #, however as I said above this is not stamped where it should be.

Comment

VIN location

Fiverman:
            Where did you find the VIN if it wasn't on the engine?

I've got a WE-21 I bought in Washington and I'm trying to title in Oregon. The VIN number is obviously and engine serial number, but the engine was replaced. Most times this doesn't matter, but when transferring a title to another state, the new state wants to inspect the VIN before issuing a title. My seller has since given me a bill of sale with both the VIN and the frame serial number, and I hope this will work with the DMV.

Thanks,
            Don

Comment

In Washington the frame number is the VIN on a vehicle that old. When I have brought into WA a few WW2 WCs from out of state the state patrol inspectors always go straight for the frame number on the left front frame rail. I would switch to that if I had an opportunity to update the title while switching it over in any state i lived that way when selling there is less confusion

Originally posted by DStevens View Post
              Fiverman:
              Where did you find the VIN if it wasn't on the engine?

I've got a WE-21 I bought in Washington and I'm trying to title in Oregon. The VIN number is obviously and engine serial number, but the engine was replaced. Most times this doesn't matter, but when transferring a title to another state, the new state wants to inspect the VIN before issuing a title. My seller has since given me a bill of sale with both the VIN and the frame serial number, and I hope this will work with the DMV.

Thanks,
              Don

Comment

engine id

I found the number that is like an engine number on the title. I bought the vehicle from a salvage yard and had the owners (the guy that sold it to the junkyard) lost title app. When I went to the DMV they didn't require an inspection because title was current in Oregon. Has anyone been able to come up with any ID ideas based on the castin markings I described up post?

Comment

I did not find anything based on the casting numbers but there should be a date cast into the block down low, to the rear of where the oil fill tube goes into the block. Also if you measure the length of the head and pull the little plug that is located right over # 6 piston you can measure the stroke with a piece of rod or coat hanger. stroke will tell you waht engine you have. 230s are 4 & 5/8"

Originally posted by fiverman View Post
                  I found the number that is like an engine number on the title. I bought the vehicle from a salvage yard and had the owners (the guy that sold it to the junkyard) lost title app. When I went to the DMV they didn't require an inspection because title was current in Oregon. Has anyone been able to come up with any ID ideas based on the castin markings I described up post?

Comment

engine id

Thanks for the info. I will check that out, I was wondering how I could figure out the stroke easily. I knew about the length of the Head, Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    X