Finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally

Got it home today! Had to tow it the last 100 feet or so. I added about four gallons before the drive, but it acts like it's starving for fuel.
    Guy licensed it every year, but it hardly ever left the farm. Truck has a V8 from a '63 dump truck. Transplant was a bit crude, as the firewall was cut out, leaving a hole visible from the cab. Makes it easy to reach the distributor, though.
    There's a heater in it, but with the hole, I can't imagine needing extra heat! It sure was warm on the short trip.
    I guess the first step is the fuel issue...
    Attached Files

Looks solid Chewie, is the top a home made one, hard to tell by the foto?

Comment

I think it's home made, but I haven't seen enough stock hardtops to know for sure, though. The back glass is an aluminum storm window. There are holes and light brackets up above and the top is attached with sheet metal screws. Some red paint under the blue and around the rust on the top amkes me wonder if it has seen some duty as a fire rig?
      The red car in the background of the first pic is a '38 D-8 Trunkback.
      Attached Files

Comment

Got it going!

It wasn't fuel trouble at all. Darn mice had fun in the breather. It's a wonder it got as far as it did! I figure the trip shook things loose. Anyway, pulled the breather, fired it up, and put a new filter in after I scrubbed the rust out of the housing.
        Now, on to the lights...

Comment

Critters Huh

That rear window looks a lot like one of the windscreen panels? Not a bad looking roof from what we can see in the pic's, some grinding and some glazing putty............

Comment

The rear window does looks like a M37 windscreen panel, good eyes Bruce.

Nice looking truck Chewie, I believe the top is homemade judging by the rear window and it's overall shape.

Comment

That rear window

Is a windscreen panel. Has the hole for the wiper, and the inside latch is the same as what's up front. It's plexiglass, though.
              I hadn't spent a lot of time looking at M37's, and so I don't know much about them. This one came up for sale close by (about 17 miles) and was titled and licensed. I had seen it before, a long time ago. You know what they say; when opportunity knocks...
              I still don't know about the transmission, as I have a hanging pedal on the clutch. Seems awkward for the PTO cover to be where the transfer case linkage is...

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
                Is a windscreen panel. Has the hole for the wiper, and the inside latch is the same as what's up front. It's plexiglass, though.
                I hadn't spent a lot of time looking at M37's, and so I don't know much about them. This one came up for sale close by (about 17 miles) and was titled and licensed. I had seen it before, a long time ago. You know what they say; when opportunity knocks...
                I still don't know about the transmission, as I have a hanging pedal on the clutch. Seems awkward for the PTO cover to be where the transfer case linkage is...
                The original trans has the PTO cover on the Drivers side. Newer NP435's(and variants) have the PTO on the Passenger side, but so do alot of transmissions. The SM420, T18, T98, SM465...and the list goes on. All these transmissions have been used in medium duty sized trucks too. Are there any identifying marks on the trans?

How does the hanging pedal installation look? I want to swap over the hanging pedals as well, and the more pictures of installations I can see the better...

Is it a hydraulic clutch too? Or has it had linkage adapted as well?

Comment

Originally posted by MasterYota View Post
                  The original trans has the PTO cover on the Drivers side. Newer NP435's(and variants) have the PTO on the Passenger side, but so do alot of transmissions. The SM420, T18, T98, SM465...and the list goes on. All these transmissions have been used in medium duty sized trucks too. Are there any identifying marks on the trans?

How does the hanging pedal installation look? I want to swap over the hanging pedals as well, and the more pictures of installations I can see the better...

Is it a hydraulic clutch too? Or has it had linkage adapted as well?
                  Do a search for Frank Irons, as well as hanging pedals, he's done a super nice job on his.
                  He used to post a lot, not so much anymore?

Comment

Working...
                  X