Frame repair sequence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame repair sequence

Seems one of the hardest parts of a restoration is figuring out the right sequence of tasks for the work.

I plan on removing the third cross-member on my truck to do some repairs where I'm concerned the material may be weakened do to the heavy rust. While I have it out I'll remove the bottom cover and have it blasted and painted inside as well. I'll bolt it back up so I can re-connect the springs to get it rolling for blast and paint of the rest of the frame.

The frame extensions on my truck had shown where someone tried to determine what happens when you use the unstoppable force that is a Power Wagon against something posing as an immovable object. The answer is something will break. Not sure about the immovable object but the front bumper and frame extensions on my truck were bent.

In taking some measurements of the bare frame it looks like the damage may extend into the front part of the frame as well. I removed the slight twist out of the driver's rail where the extension bolted, and it measures to spec (width wise), but in doing some cross measurements it looks like the front part of the frame is out by about 1/8". Measurements behind the third cross-member seem correct. Not sure if there is any tolerance in the frame measurements but if not then I guess I'll need to get it straightened back out properly.

So the question in all this rambling is: what is everyones opinions on the right sequence on this repair?

Straighten frame -> repair crossmember -> blast/paint

or

Repair crossmember -> straighten frame -> blast/paint

Something else?

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
    Seems one of the hardest parts of a restoration is figuring out the right sequence of tasks for the work.

I plan on removing the third cross-member on my truck to do some repairs where I'm concerned the material may be weakened do to the heavy rust. While I have it out I'll remove the bottom cover and have it blasted and painted inside as well. I'll bolt it back up so I can re-connect the springs to get it rolling for blast and paint of the rest of the frame.

The frame extensions on my truck had shown where someone tried to determine what happens when you use the unstoppable force that is a Power Wagon against something posing as an immovable object. The answer is something will break. Not sure about the immovable object but the front bumper and frame extensions on my truck were bent.

In taking some measurements of the bare frame it looks like the damage may extend into the front part of the frame as well. I removed the slight twist out of the driver's rail where the extension bolted, and it measures to spec (width wise), but in doing some cross measurements it looks like the front part of the frame is out by about 1/8". Measurements behind the third cross-member seem correct. Not sure if there is any tolerance in the frame measurements but if not then I guess I'll need to get it straightened back out properly.

So the question in all this rambling is: what is everyones opinions on the right sequence on this repair?

Straighten frame -> repair crossmember -> blast/paint

This is the way I would attack it, but I am no metal guy, just a wannabe? Ron In Indiana might be available before the rally to give his answer?

Comment

Working...
    X