No announcement yet.

Brake Booster for Drum/Drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We considered similar set ups several years ago; but I never found anything I considered using because of other draw backs, etc. Don't recall all the issues that came into play now though.

I'm looking at a new type of system that I'm considering on our next Cummins project. Looks very promising, however I won't know how I'll really feel about it until we incorporate 1 into our system to see how we could best make it come together and then be able to test it in real road testing. Only then can I say for certain if I like it and would recommend it or no.

Comment

I spent a little time chasing that first booster down today. It's manufactured by...

Frenos Iruņa S.A.L.
      Pol. Ind. Comarca, 2
      Calle E, nš 9
      E-31191 Barbatain (Navarra)
      SPAIN
      Telephone: +34 948 214 000
      FAX: +34 948 214 010

Evidently they make them in 3 different OD sizes, according to the catalog online. http://www.irunabrakes.com/fileadmin...ervofrenos.pdf You'll need to look at the very last item in the PDF.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
        We considered similar set ups several years ago; but I never found anything I considered using because of other draw backs, etc. Don't recall all the issues that came into play now though.

I'm looking at a new type of system that I'm considering on our next Cummins project. Looks very promising, however I won't know how I'll really feel about it until we incorporate 1 into our system to see how we could best make it come together and then be able to test it in real road testing. Only then can I say for certain if I like it and would recommend it or no.
        Yeah, I have been afraid to try the ones like these I have found. I have hunted down some blogs and such and folks seem to be happy with them, but that's not saying a lot.

The more I think about it the more I think I would lean to the ABS underfloor electric unit though. Could actually us that with my current brakes line setup pretty easily, and a remote MC fill would be nice. But I understand the system is about $1100 which is bit spendy for experimenting.

I decided to just wait and see how well my brakes performed unboosted, and I have been happy so far. I have pretty strong legs and have broken seat bolts loose in a few old trucks leaning on the brakes so hard.. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by jmacqueen View Post
          I spent a little time chasing that first booster down today. It's manufactured by...

Frenos Iruņa S.A.L.
          Pol. Ind. Comarca, 2
          Calle E, nš 9
          E-31191 Barbatain (Navarra)
          SPAIN
          Telephone: +34 948 214 000
          FAX: +34 948 214 010

Evidently they make them in 3 different OD sizes, according to the catalog online. http://www.irunabrakes.com/fileadmin...ervofrenos.pdf You'll need to look at the very last item in the PDF.
          I'm personally not interested in this type of imported stuff.

Comment

Hydrovac update

We doing one of these 'updates' on the 66 WM300. When we surveyed the layout it looks like this unit had this setup originally and a PO removed it and replaced with a single cylinder MC and joined all lines.

DS Parts in the heart of Virginia (Bluefield) remans these.

We also have a PDF we can provide of a manufacturer's 'certified' dual circuit adaptation for school buses that works on this model with a few changes.

GO to the link below and look for the red circled part spec and then picture 24 for the Hydrovac units that spec out in size and capacity.

Our approach is to switch this back to a dual circuit MC (NAPA, #4736308 with slight mounting mod) under floorboard (as original) and fit out the 2 hydrovac units- front and rear with a balance valve setup.

http://www.dspartscompany.com/Docume...ake%20edit.pdf

Dual circuit setup attached.

More information about this truck at:
            http://www.flyingtigertransport.com
            Attached Files
            Last edited by im02crazy; 11-01-2014, 09:45 AM. Reason: added flyingtigertransport link

Comment

Nice write up, but a 66 model WM300, never had a dual master cylinder.
              It may have had a single hydro-vac booster assist as an option.
              TGP
              WDX & Misc. Pics.
              http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
              "47" Dodge WDX WW
              "52" Dodge M-37 WW
              "54" Willys M38A1
              "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
              "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
              "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
              "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
              "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
              "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
                Nice write up, but a 66 model WM300, never had a dual master cylinder.
                It may have had a single hydro-vac booster assist as an option.
                TGP
                You are correct, a hydra-vac booster was an option, which greatly reduced operator effort at the pedal; however the single circuit system remained.

Comment

Hydra-Max booster

We just started up a new Cummins QSB in a power wagon project last week. We incorporated a hydra-max hydraulic brake booster into a 4-wheel disc brake system with a dual circuit master cylinder piggy backed from the booster unit. Very compact, fits well under the cab floor, and has an electric motor driven pump back up so boosted brakes remain operable in the event of engine failure. We use a direct shaft driven hydraulic pump on the Cummins which furnishes hydraulic power for both steering and brake booster units. This truck has a totally redesigned steering system; it has all come together really sweet.

Comment

Corrections to original post Hydrovac replacements

Originally posted by im02crazy View Post
                    We doing one of these 'updates' on the 66 WM300. When we surveyed the layout it looks like this unit had this setup originally and a PO removed it and replaced with a single cylinder MC and joined all lines.

DS Parts in the heart of Virginia (Bluefield) remans these. phone: 276 322 3119

We also have a PDF we can provide of a manufacturer's 'certified' dual circuit adaptation for school buses that works on this model with a few changes.

GO to the link below and look for the red circled part spec and then picture 27 on page 27 (corrected 7/2015) for the Hydrovac units that spec out in size and capacity. Midland C462 C or H version for size and capacity/function. (added dkb 7/2015)

Our approach is to switch this back to a dual circuit MC (NAPA, #4736308 with slight mounting mod) under floorboard (as original) and fit out the 2 hydrovac units- front and rear with a balance valve setup.

http://www.dspartscompany.com/Docume...ake%20edit.pdf

Dual circuit setup attached.

More information about this truck at:
                    http://www.flyingtigertransport.com
                    Corrected copy 7/2015 Dave

Comment

Originally posted by im02crazy View Post
                      Corrections to original post Hydrovac replacements

Corrected copy 7/2015 Dave
                      Digging up this old thread. Have you completed this dual master cylinder conversion? How did it work out for you. I have had the same NAPA master cylinder sitting on my shelf for probably 15 years and have not installed it. I'm not planning to use any boost, just manual brakes, drum front and rear for now, but may someday convert the front to discs.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post

Digging up this old thread. Have you completed this dual master cylinder conversion? How did it work out for you. I have had the same NAPA master cylinder sitting on my shelf for probably 15 years and have not installed it. I'm not planning to use any boost, just manual brakes, drum front and rear for now, but may someday convert the front to discs.
                        First of all, I would recommend against using a master cylinder that is 15 years old as interior components do deteriorate with age. If it worked initially, good chance it would not be in service long before issues show up. We've tried it all; I can verify one thing for sure, you will very likely not be happy with braking performance unless you incorporate a booster into your system. It doesn't matter whether you have a drum system, disc system, or a combination; you simply will not have good, operator friendly braking without a booster.

Comment

A guy I know purchased this kit as an easy drum/drum install on his stock M37 with stock new single circuit master cylinder. He said it worked very well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-VH44-Re...72.m2749.l2649

Greg Coffin's Master Booster assembly that he makes works for drum drum application as well. And is an easy install on the PW gives you a dual circuit and Power Brakes.
                          1967 W200.aka.Hank
                          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post

First of all, I would recommend against using a master cylinder that is 15 years old as interior components do deteriorate with age. If it worked initially, good chance it would not be in service long before issues show up. We've tried it all; I can verify one thing for sure, you will very likely not be happy with braking performance unless you incorporate a booster into your system. It doesn't matter whether you have a drum system, disc system, or a combination; you simply will not have good, operator friendly braking without a booster.
                            Yes, thanks, Charles. I was also leery of using a 15-year-old master cylinder. I was certainly planning to disassemble it and rebuild it before using it. As it turns out, it won't work in the spot where I had wanted to use it. I'm looking for alternatives, and will look at the items Matt mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Welcher PWA View Post
                              A guy I know purchased this kit as an easy drum/drum install on his stock M37 with stock new single circuit master cylinder. He said it worked very well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-VH44-Re...72.m2749.l2649

Greg Coffin's Master Booster assembly that he makes works for drum drum application as well. And is an easy install on the PW gives you a dual circuit and Power Brakes.
                              Thanks, Matt. I will look into these. I don't think I had heard about Greg Coffin's dual circuit kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post

Thanks, Matt. I will look into these. I don't think I had heard about Greg Coffin's dual circuit kit.
                                Here is his post on it https://powerwagonadvertiser.com/for...nd-dual-master
                                1967 W200.aka.Hank
                                1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                                2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X