Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Tires for WC-12?

Hello all,
    New member here, I’ve been reading a bit of the old posts and have garnered quite a bit of info already. I really appreciate the great info posted here. I do have a question (the first of many I’m sure!) What is the correct, factory tires for the Dodge ½ ton, 1941 WC-12? I have an (original!) manual that says they are: “7.50 x 16” with rims that are 16 x 5.50. But it doesn’t tell me who the supplier was, Firestone? What was the actual tread pattern as we call it today? NDT? NDCC? I really want to restore it correctly.
    Thanks in advance!
    BKW

1/2 ton original tires

The factory installed 7.50 x 16.00 directional tires. They had a v-shaped tread. The 1941 factory pictures in the Library of Congress shows workmen mounting these.

See:
    http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/fsa.8b00745/

As the tread pattern is directional, you can get stuck and maybe not be able to back out. They weren't used on the later 3/4 ton trucks.

I don't know who would make them now. Most collectors put on military NDT tires with straight lugs like those sold by Wallace Wade Tires. These are probably what most of the half tons were wearing by the end of the war.

Comment

Ok, time for coffee and clear our heads!

Comment

Thank you D. Stevens for your great information! I will check into these tires. The info I found didn't definitely answer the question.
        Duane, When I first saw this answer, I was working on my second cup of coffee that morning, but at work and didn't reply. Thanks for you input!
        BKW

Comment

directional tires

I have seen old photos with these and other military trucks prior to WWII wearing these tires. They appear a lot like farm tractor tires. Why do you get stuck with them? They are kind of interesting looking and i wonder if anyone is producing reproductions?

Comment

Working...
          X