Damaged Winch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged Winch

My neighbor called me yesterday about 4 pm after they stuck their Ford F350 crew cab, diesel 4x4, dually - this was in a wet creek bottom while pulling a trailer. It would have been an easier tow if they hadn't stomped on the gas and buried the front end up to the frame but such is life. At any rate, my big John Deere just spun its tires so I took it home then drove the M37 over and went to work. The Ford was really mired and I had to chain the M37 to my other truck and chock all 8 wheels to get the diesel out of the mud but the old winch worked just like it was designed.

The problem is that I pulled their trailer out first and while I was backing up, I got distracted and neglected to stop the winch so it wound the swaged cable fitting into the cross brace that is located between the two halves of the winch and popped one side of the brace out of the housing.

My question is: Does this brace add to the structural integrity of the winch or is it there primarily as a place to stop the cable. It was getting dark when we finished and I didn't look closely but the brace bar seems to be threaded so will I need to pull the assembly to replace it?

BTW, Dodges rule - I had a whole crowd standing around cheering when the Ford eventually popped out of the muck...

Sorry I am late to this Hollis, but to answer your question all such braces serve as needed members to keep both halves of the winch separated and in alignment. replace the damaged one before loading the unit again.

Comment

Thanks, Carter. I looked at it today when the light was good and agree with you. I'll be replacing the brace - might just make another one on the lathe.

Comment

Must be the bottom rod that was damaged, lathing one is a good way to manufacture one, I did that same thing years ago Hollis and it worked out well. The local police damaged one and ask me to repair the winch and I had to make the part for them because at that time I could not locate the part from the usual sources of MV NOS.

Comment

Yes, it was the bottom one. The swage lock pulled into it before I could stop rotation. I said a few bad words but the damage isn't as bad as first thought.

Comment

Working...
          X