Replace wheels for my Budd 17.5 split ring wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace wheels for my Budd 17.5 split ring wheels

Could someone here recommend a one piece wheel that could replace my Budd 17.5 split ring wheels? I don't mind the split ring wheels. Its just that I can't fine 17.5 inch tires. I kind of like the look of the Budd wheels. Maybe something like 17 in wheels would work. And I would like to keep the dual wheels in the rear. This is a 1 ton Fargo 4x4.
    Attached Files

What is the bolt pattern for that truck? I'm not familiar with that model, if it's unique it will get difficult to find the dually rims.

Comment

Maybe save you some work...these came on mine.

My TW came with a couple of dually wheels, my original axles and wheels are sold and gone.
      The hub is "Bolt-centric" so the hub does not support the wheel.
      The studs are (6) 5/8-18 on 7.25" circle. Center hole is 5.5".
      NAPA had the right and left hand nuts available 4 years ago when I needed two.
      The OEM dually wheels nest into each other, every other (3 of 6) bolt holes has a raised edge that fits into the other wheel.
      I didn't have enough wheels to get new rims welded to the old centers. Dual and standard have different off set. Finally gave up, Mine has '79 Dodge W150 5 bolt axles front and rear.
      Look in the "Power Giant 57-60" threads for info and pix. Won't let me post same pix again. Your axles/hubs bolt pattern was used for only a few years.
      Best of luck, DrPepper
      Last edited by DrPepper; 07-06-2017, 10:42 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by DrPepper View Post
        My TW came with a couple of dually wheels, my original axles and wheels are sold and gone.
        The hub is "Bolt-centric" so the hub does not support the wheel.
        The studs are (6) 5/8-18 on 7.25" circle. Center hole is 5.5".
        NAPA had the right and left hand nuts available 4 years ago when I needed two.
        The OEM dually wheels nest into each other, every other (3 of 6) bolt holes has a raised edge that fits into the other wheel.
        I didn't have enough wheels to get new rims welded to the old centers. Dual and standard have different off set. Finally gave up, Mine has '79 Dodge W150 5 bolt axles front and rear.
        Best of luck,
        DrPepper
        Those numbers are exact. And uh oh. The hardest thing is finding tires. I can deal with the wheels and even have a trucking company that will work on them. Sure would like the Super Traxion STAs for 17" wheels.

Comment

17.5 tires may be a dead end...?

The last tires I tracked down 4 years + ago were on line, came from Asia somewhere, were 10 ply and sold for $300 plus each.
          I kept hearing tire stores say "..sure we can get them!" then never hear back.
          If you can change the rims to 17's your ahead of the game.

DP

Comment

Originally posted by DrPepper View Post
            The last tires I tracked down 4 years + ago were on line, came from Asia somewhere, were 10 ply and sold for $300 plus each.
            I kept hearing tire stores say "..sure we can get them!" then never hear back.
            If you can change the rims to 17's your ahead of the game.

DP
            Actually I misquoted my wheel size. They are, in fact, 17 inch wheels. And I found these tires.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/bran...on-10-ply.html

And I can can them for less that Cooky is selling them.

Comment

17 is one of the most prevalent truck tire size now. Plenty of options in conventional truck tires. Biggest issue is getting something tall enough that isn't too wide, especially in the back with the duals.

What is the stock tire size on those?

Comment

Originally posted by desoto61 View Post
                17 is one of the most prevalent truck tire size now. Plenty of options in conventional truck tires. Biggest issue is getting something tall enough that isn't too wide, especially in the back with the duals.

What is the stock tire size on those?
                7.50-17 which by my calculations equals out to be LT235/80-17.

Comment

The Tire Rack shows 32 different tires in that size, so any local tire shop should be able to offer you a decent selection. Of course you need the radial tubes for any of them, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Kind of surprising as 80+ series tires don't seem as common any more, but it's probably a common size from applications like yours.

Comment

Try to contact tirerack. They can give you some good suggestions.

Comment

17.5 tire supplier

Try Speciality Tires of America for your tires

Comment

http://www.sweptline.org/forums/view...p?f=34&t=41123

I used these 17.5" Yokohama Super Steel 703B tires on my '61.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
                          http://www.sweptline.org/forums/view...p?f=34&t=41123

I used these 17.5" Yokohama Super Steel 703B tires on my '61.

John
                          You did a great job converting your truck to a 4x4. It looks so clean. Now if I could find the 6 lug steel wheels like that for my W300.

Comment

Working...
                          X