Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time Power Rally visitor?

Hi,

My wife and I are talking about visiting VPW rally in Fairfield for maybe two days this year. As we would be flying in from Europe we will not bring a truck (not that I have one running anyways) and I am wondering whether one individual will have a nice time without a truck. What do people without trucks do?

My wife likes old trucks but she is not nearly as obsessed that I am. Is there something for the not as interested other half to do?

There is a wine tasting on Friday afternoon that everyone seemed to enjoy. There are also several small stores around the square to visit.
    People are very welcoming and there shouldn't be a problem at all finding a truck to hop into.
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Better see if you can get a room.
      They might be full by now and you will possibly
      Have to find one farther away.

As Matt said plenty to see and do and not hard to find a ride.
      Tom
      WDX & Misc. Pics.
      http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
      "47" Dodge WDX WW
      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
      "54" Willys M38A1
      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
      "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
      "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
      "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
      "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
      "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Good point Tom, call 641-469-1919 ask for Sherry they may have one available, also try 641-469-2000. Super 8.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Originally posted by frippe123 View Post
          Hi,

My wife and I are talking about visiting VPW rally in Fairfield for maybe two days this year. As we would be flying in from Europe we will not bring a truck (not that I have one running anyways) and I am wondering whether one individual will have a nice time without a truck. What do people without trucks do?

My wife likes old trucks but she is not nearly as obsessed that I am. Is there something for the not as interested other half to do?
          I have a friend who has approximately seven Power-Wagons. He has attended probably 20 to 25 previous rallies and has never brought a truck. I will not mention any names, but his nickname is Spence.

But seriously, one does not have to bring a Power-Wagon to enjoy the festivities. There are always Power-Wagon owners who would love to take you for a ride in their truck. If you can't find anyone, look for me. I'll have a ride waiting for you.

Some of the side benefits of not having your own truck with you is that you don't have to wash the truck after that particularly sloppy mud hole, you don't have to worry whether or not you left your keys in your truck, you don't have to pay for your own gasoline, you get to pick whether you want to be near the front of the parade or near the rear, and the list goes on.

Matt - do they still have the "Girls Day Out" buss trip to the mall in Iowa
          City?

Clint Dixon

Comment

Not the Mall this year, but a nice day trip out to the winery is scheduled Friday afternoon. Registration should be open this afternoon...I will keep all posted.
            1967 W200.aka.Hank
            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Alright, plane tickets are booked to the states. Now we have to find lodging and a plane from Phoenix where we will start the the vacation. We are planning on arriving in Fairfield on the 5th in the evening and leave for Chicago on the morning of the 8th. We wanted to stay longer but the flight was $600 more. Really looking forward to this trip.

Comment

Very cool! Your welcome to go for a ride in either mine or my wife's trucks. See you in June!

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words, will definitely hitch some rides. We will arrive in the afternoon/evening of Monday the 5th which means we might be able too catch some ice cream at the Dairy Bar. We managed to find a room in American Inn hotel a few miles away.

For those who have not yet booked where to stay, take a look at Airbnb.com where prices can be very reasonable. We found a private residence at the center of Fairfield but unfortunately some new ordinances made our host back out.

We will be leaving around lunch on Thursday the 8th. Looking forward seeing you all and imbibe the atmosphere!

Comment

Working...
                  X