Rivnuts are great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivnuts are great

I've used several of these rivnuts or sometimes called nutserts to repair missing captured or welded nuts in boxed areas. One such area is in the corner posts of the beds of our trucks. I use 3/8"x 24 rivnuts to go with the factory bolts. The other day I had to install two in a 57 PG door post for the door hinges. If you've never used these it requires a special tool to set the nuts like pop rivets. You begin by drilling out to the size of the rivnut, in my case 9/16". Thread the nut on the tool, place in the hole and with two wrenches engage the nut into the hole. When tight remove the tool and you have a perfect threaded hole. You do need watch on thinner sheet metal to get the correct hole for the rivnut or it will spin out on you. I really like these rivnuts which I get from McMaster Carr. They have a number of sizes and ship so fast you won't believe it.

Very timely review! I have been contemplating how I was going to fix the missing captive nuts on my rear bed post? These sound perfect! I will check them out. Thanks for taking the time to post up.

Comment

Glad it came at a good time. When doing the rivnut on the corner post of your bed be VERY careful of the size hole. I had one that didn't want to set for some reason. I use a 9/16" bit which makes it very tight to get the nut in that size hole. These are made for a minimum/ maximum thickness of sheet metal. The bed post is at the very minimum but it does work having done several of these now. Another tip run your bolts through a die first before threading into the rivnut. I also run a tap in the old original holes too so as not to break off a bolt or strip threads.

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
        Very timely review! I have been contemplating how I was going to fix the missing captive nuts on my rear bed post? These sound perfect! I will check them out. Thanks for taking the time to post up.
        They make those nutserts in different lengths to accommodate the various metal thickness.
        Also if you don't have the proper tool you can set them by using a bolt, hex nut screwed on, and flat washer.
        Screw the bolt,nut,and washer into the nutsert,hold the bolt and tighten the nut until set. A little harder but works.
        TGP
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

I was just looking at picking up one of these tools, there are a few places where it will make for a nicer end result. Which installer do you have? I've seen them at a lot of different price points in a few different styles.

Comment

I use the one from McMaster Carr. It's well made and comes with a few different size bolts to set the nuts.

Comment

Thanks for the additional tips. I'll check out the tool at McMaster Carr.

Comment

Working...
              X