Wheel and PS conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel and PS conversion

Fairly new to the forum. In reading it looks like a great place for information.

A little about my truck. I am working on a 58 W100 Town Wagon. Don't hate me, but I am putting in a Chevy 400 SB. It has a Dana 44 undr the frnt end and I am putting a Dana 60 undr the rear.

So, I am interested in rebuilding/replacing the frnt brakes and wheels to a more modern drum brake system and wheel (8 lug).

Also, looking to add PS. Has anyone had any experience with the conversion set up from midfifty.com. Looks like it uses a Toyota steering box.

I am sure these items have been covered in the past, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'd suggest discs up front, the front does 70% of the braking, and you need to shed heat as rapidly as possible to keep your braking, if the pads /shoes start outgassing, you're all done.

I use the Toyota box on my truck. You have to fab up a plate to fit and use an aftermarket pitman arm with a weld-in ball stud to fit the PW draglink. I did a writeup several years ago, hopefully it's still in the archives. I'd suggest rebuilding any salvage yard box, mine wants to pull left when you release the wheel.

Comment

Working...
    X