WC52 hard cranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WC52 hard cranking

New here but have a WC52 that runs great when I can get it started. New tune up, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, battery & cables, oil change. But, is hard cranking and most of the time won't start because do slow or no turn over. Rebuild starter? Any help is appreciated.

I know you said they have been replaced but I'd start by looking at the electrical connections. If it's still running 6V then current flow is key, which makes them more prone to issues if there is too much resistance.

You replaced the battery cables with what? Voltage = Current (I) x Resistance, so since a 6V system has 1/2 the voltage it has to run twice the current (bigger pipe), so the battery cables will be larger than your regular parts store versions usually.

You can use a volt meter and go across connections (battery->cable->starter, etc), the voltage should be near 0, if not you have resistance at that connection and it needs to be cleaned and eliminated.

And most importantly don't forget about the grounds! Remeber the path back is just as important. Have you checked the ground straps and connections? Did you replace the ground cable too, or just the starter? Adding a ground strap (even if just temporarily) between the motor and frame or battery will help show if it's a ground issue.

6V systems should have no issues starting the vehicle, they just tend to be a little less tolerant of bad connections than a 12V system. Good luck and let everyone know what you find.

Comment

I work on Electric Forklifts for a living, and I can tell you that he is right.

A 6vt needs at least 00 cable to handle the load.

On connections, .2 volt drop. More than that, pulled apart, and clean it, or repair/replace it.

Comment

Working...
      X