Axle Dolly another crazy idea...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Dolly another crazy idea...

Last year I finally had time to change the axles on my TW-PW and working alone juggling several hundred pounds of awkward steel didn't seem to smart.
    So, I came up with this thing.
    Bought a used Trans Jack (800# Cap) and made a cradle for the axles. Nice thing is it lifts up to ~2' off the floor and tilts in 4 directions. Cleaning, rehabbing and painting was so much better than on the floor or on a chain.
    The cradles are 3" muffler clamps welded to a brackets that can slide along the two long rails. The Axle OD is 3". It's basically built from old angle I had left over. The pinion support started out to be a fancy screw support and was value engineered to a stack of 2x4's. Never did need the U-Bolts to hold the axle, it stayed put very nicely. Adjusted an old cookie sheet to keep oil draining into a pan next to the Dolly.
    Attached Files

Axle Cradle - few more pix

It's bolted to the original holes for the Trans supports so it all comes off.
    Never painted it as I don't plan to use it again. Just took some pix and rolled it under the truck.
    I would not have finished this part of the project without it.
    Maybe give someone else an idea.
    Enjoy,
    DrPepper
    Attached Files

Comment

That's a nice axle cradle adder for the jack!
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I did something similar with my transmission jack but I fortunately have a two post hoist. My jack is a hydraulic post jack so I wheeled under the axle and then lowered hoist until the axle contacted the plate of the jack. I used a ratchet strap to hold in on the jack as I only wanted to move it out from under the frame. It balanced perfectly and it was a breeze to put the axle back. Necessity is the mother of invention along with thinking outside the box now and then. Glad you got your job done safely Dr Pepper.

Comment

It is always a struggle Pulling the axle housings in and out, this looks like a great time saver.
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Sometimes it seems easier to just leave the axle assembled, with wheels and tires on. Remove the u-bolts, jack the truck up and roll the axle out. Guess it all depends on what equipment you bring to the party.

Lots of ways to skin that cat...

cd
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
            1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor
            1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
            UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

it's all in the elbow room... either you got it or you don't

This was how I could work, with the door closed, in a 24' x 20' x 8' garage and get it done. Sure would like a fancy 40' x 40' x 16 shop with heat and all the fun stuff, but alas, it's not in the cards right now. Ron's rotisserie wouldn't fit in my garage, much less hold a body and roll it. LOL
              I'd like a Bridgeport and a bunch of other things. Just won't fit. So, the final assembly might be a little rougher than some of the really beautiful work I see. I make due.
              Built a 3 psi brake pressure bleeder today. Finally got the air out of the new lines, not going to tell you about it yet....oh boy, love the suspense.
              DrPepper

Comment

I made an adapter for my transmission jack that really helps with the removal/installation of the 3rd member. Those sure are a handy tool that can make all kinds of tasks easier.

cd
                1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                1954 Ford 860 tractor
                1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
                  Sometimes it seems easier to just leave the axle assembled, with wheels and tires on. Remove the u-bolts, jack the truck up and roll the axle out. Guess it all depends on what equipment you bring to the party.

Lots of ways to skin that cat...

cd
                  That's how I removed my axles, but I had the frame on a lift, so getting it out of the way once they were loose from the frame was easier.

They sat on some jack stands while they were rebuilt, but when it was time to go back under the truck I ended up using a small set of those cheap furniture dollies you get from HF and similar which were sized perfectly for my bigger jack stands. Made it pretty easy to get things back into position and bolt it to the new springs.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X