Axle tube vents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle tube vents?

My M880 is down for some R&R. New leaves, overload springs, brake lines, fuel sending unit, fuel lines etc while I have the bed off swapping in a flat bed.

So while replacing the rubber brake line to the axle I realize it isn't bolted to the axle. As I'm cleaning off all the mud and grease I realize the bolt isn't in even in there. So I've been running it for 10+ years with out the axle tube vent bolt. Everytime I've had the axle out the fluid has been fine. I think I've even changed it a time or two...

Anyway. As long as I need to deal with this I figure I might as well make it better. How do you all usually extend the vent? I'd like to go up to the bottom of the flat bed for extra insurance.

But, The axle tube is stripped I guess because I can't see any threads. Do I just retap for a barb and then extend a length of tubing up with sufficient curl at the end? Is there a valve you add at the end?

Seems like my '92 W250 has the extended vent but its 4* out there now and its 69* here by the computer so that's where my inquiring mind is at the moment.

Thanks,
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

I have the bed off my 1 ton and will get a picture of the setup in a few days. I got a new rear brake hose and lines because there is a slow leak in the steel line and the crimp at the top of the rubber is almost gone which means it may pop if stressed hard. The vent is extended up to the crossmember that the shocks are attached to. The vent hose does have a little plastic end that may be a valve or vent stopper of sorts. It attaches into the "T" fitting on the axle tube.

Comment

Thanks.

NAPA doesn't have the bolt. From what I've found out it looks like it is supposed to be a 7/16-20. I'll bet mine is snapped off in the tube. I'll clean it up a little better and see.

I have a couple other carcasses laying around that I could scavage for parts/set up but haven't been able to venture there yet. looks like some will stick a small fuel filter on the end of a fuel line.

I guess if I had the right bolt I could fashion my own.
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

try saturn surplus

Lots of M880 parts.

Comment

Yes but they don't seem to want to do business with me. Have had several rude experiences so I've decided to let them keep their stuff.
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

explain rude

fill us in on your experience. I'm sure the owner would like to be notified if he has a smartass on his payroll. alienating potential customers is a poor business model. I would want to know about it if it was my company.

Comment

I've bought many things from there in the past with good experience.

Last spring I called to price an exhaust system. They quoted me a price but when I asked for a shipping quote he said he'd have to sell it to me first. I told him I didn't know if I wanted to buy it until I knew what it would cost. He said OK and we hung up. I ended up with a custom exhaust from a local guy for less than the price he quoted me.

Couple months ago I made a list of items needed when I pulled the M880 in the shop for all this work. I emailed them about availability and prices. Appearantly it went to the same guy because I haven't heard back yet...

I'm not going to hound or beg anybody to sell me something. I can find it elsewhere where its easier.

Hopefully you all will have better experiences than me.
              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

lost revenue

I no longer deal with SS. My telephone interactions with them caused me to decide, that they were not the place for me. I came away with the impression that they didnt have the time to give me a "free" education on M880 parts. I dont hold that against them, perhaps they only deal with professional mechanics. That is their business decision to make. Anybody who knows me well, understands that Im a novice about these trucks, but i'm also generous to a fault. the sales staff dropped the ball in the endzone when they let me hang up the phone. suckers like me dont come along very often. SS could have sold me an entire axel when i only wanted a rim!!! and I would have been happy.

Comment

krb64

I've been wanting to extend my vent tubes ever since I took the M880 swimming in Vermont. If you post a "vent tube how to" and a detailed parts list, Bergen County Power Wagons will Purchase/reimburse you for the parts. just dont go buy a complete axel =)

Comment

Now that the weekend is here I can devote some time to it. I'll let you know what I come up with.
                    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
                      ... The vent hose does have a little plastic end that may be a valve or vent stopper of sorts...
                      That is a back-check valve, it keeps water, mud etc. from entering the tube and contaminating the axle and differential. You can get a replacement at just about any good auto parts store, or at many Jeep Shops, or on-line at places like 4 Wheel Parts or Quadratec.
                      On my Jeeps and Power Wagons, I run the vent just as high as physically possible, usually up to the top, inside a fender in the rear and to the hood in the front.

Comment

Mine was broken off flush with the axel tube. Used an easy out to get it out but had to coax with some heat.

My '92 W250 has the same setup with the tube running up to the bottom of the bed. Not sure why NAPA & KOI don't have that part.

Looked up at the front D44 and it doesn't have the vent in the same place but I didn't hunt for it either.
                        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Ebay has the kind without the tube extension but they are $24-35!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/rear-...item5d2c91b598

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rear-...item5d2c9efa89

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OE-Mo...item3a4e73dae9

I think they are for the muscle car restoration crowd.

I'm going to dad's today to cut some firewood. He's got several old M880s and RCs so I'll look and see what I can liberate there. Maybe off the same one that I'm getting the rear leaves off of.
                          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

The OEM valves are often plastic and work just fine, you can use any hose, as long as it doesn't leak... = )

Comment

All the M880s at dads had the short breather with no tube. I liberated one though. Will pry off the cap and see about adding some hose to it.
                              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                              X