Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M37 w/m998 & m151a1/a2 mirror system

FYI
    This is my modification to our M37. It might be something that your looking at to up grade your M37.

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/show...irrors&cat=500

Later Joe
    YES
    80.00%
    NO
    0.00%
    MIXED
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

Functional

Works if you like it, I chose traditional round on both sides, plus a convex on the passenger side. Your install is well done.

Comment

The question is just as stated, that is whether you could be cited for improper equipment by an officer. The system described here will pass the test, no problem.

The all too familiar thinking that because it came out new with the tiny round left side mirror as original equipment in 1952 will fly in a detailed vehicle inspection today, or especially with insurance company guidelines if involved in an accident IS A BIG MYTH.

Good advice; if you are one who must have the original round mirrors on your truck for correct display, get a back up system of quick attach road legal mirrors for use when driving on today's busy highways. In the event of an accident, insurance company reps will smile all the way to the bank while you are trying to explain why you feel that original equipment in 1952 should still be legal today, just because.

Truth is that arguing over such issues with authorities will likely do more for the establishments efforts to make your truck illegal for use on public highways than anything else you will accomplish. Not that I necessarily agree with all things as they are with issues that are prevalent today, if you like legally driving your truck and the hobby in general, fact is the less you rock the boat, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
        The question is just as stated, that is whether you could be cited for improper equipment by an officer. The system described here will pass the test, no problem.

The all too familiar thinking that because it came out new with the tiny round left side mirror as original equipment in 1952 will fly in a detailed vehicle inspection today, or especially with insurance company guidelines if involved in an accident IS A BIG MYTH.

Good advice; if you are one who must have the original round mirrors on your truck for correct display, get a back up system of quick attach road legal mirrors for use when driving on today's busy highways. In the event of an accident, insurance company reps will smile all the way to the bank while you are trying to explain why you feel that original equipment in 1952 should still be legal today, just because.

Truth is that arguing over such issues with authorities will likely do more for the establishments efforts to make your truck illegal for use on public highways than anything else you will accomplish. Not that I necessarily agree with all things as they are with issues that are prevalent today, if you like legally driving your truck and the hobby in general, fact is the less you rock the boat, the better.
        Thanks Charels for the write up. I couldn't have wrote it any better.

Later Joe

Comment

Liability issues

Here's what we must do these days to keep ourselves out of liability issues when we are asked to rebuild trucks back to bone stock in every way.

First of all, I have no issue with putting trucks back just like they were originally, it is the easiest of all builds we do here. However in early stock M37's, safety equipment will not meet requirements that are in force today. We have to write up documentation listing all items that do not meet todays on highway standards, explaining why we did what we did, which is usually in accordance with customer specs. We are required to have customers sign the form saying they specified all original equipment specs, and that they understand the vehicle may not be legal to operate on highway unless safety equipment is brought up to current standards. The customer is given a copy, and we have a signed copy in our files. This way if the operator gets into problems driving with improper equipment, we have proof that he was advised of current standards, and that issues could result if the vehicle is operated on public roads with improper equipment in place. This clears us of liability from turning out rebuilt trucks that may not be street legal. I'm told (but don't have proof) that some states do still recognize original equipment as being ok, because that is the way the truck was as new; however I wish you luck in getting any insurance company to pay a claim based on that one.

Comment

Insurance

Without addressing all the issues of legality to drive an originally equipped older vehicle (varies by state, but for example in Kansas, it is fairly straightforward), the insurance issue is policy dependent (though the insurance company will presumably require proof of legal registration in your state). If your insurance company then writes a policy that covers your late 40s, 50s or 60s stock truck for the purpose you intend to use it, whether highway driving, farm usage, limited miles, off-road driving, whatever, then you have that coverage. You will pay higher premiums for higher risk usages, whatever those may be. The key is to buy a policy that covers how you will use the truck.

Comment

Coverage you pay for, and think you have may not be the case at all

Originally posted by 47MollyWagon View Post
              Without addressing all the issues of legality to drive an originally equipped older vehicle (varies by state, but for example in Kansas, it is fairly straightforward), the insurance issue is policy dependent (though the insurance company will presumably require proof of legal registration in your state). If your insurance company then writes a policy that covers your late 40s, 50s or 60s stock truck for the purpose you intend to use it, whether highway driving, farm usage, limited miles, off-road driving, whatever, then you have that coverage. You will pay higher premiums for higher risk usages, whatever those may be. The key is to buy a policy that covers how you will use the truck.
              I wouldn't even attempt to know how this could vary from state to state concerning licensing of vintage vehicles, etc. I do know in NC, restrictions are many if your truck bears an antique or vintage vehicle tag, really not much you can do with it.

Insurance coverage follows those guidelines closely as far as different plans that are available. I recall when I had heavy equipment years ago, we had some pretty strong insurance coverage (or so we thought) based on vandalism possibilities, fire coverage, theft coverage, and more. I was discussing some of this with our agent one day, he asked a question. What is a realistic $$ amount that you think this piece of equipment would sell for? His point was that no matter how much coverage you are paying for; in the event of damage or total loss, they will only pay you what in their eyes is a realistic value for your equipment. No need to pay premiums for $100,000 total loss coverage if the piece is worth $75,000, they will not come through with the hundred grand that you have paid for in premiums in the event of loss.

I know of at least 1 instance where a customer had a $30,000 policy on a M35A3. A wind storm blew a tree down on it doing some significant, but very repairable damage. Insurance Company would only total it at a pay off of $2,800. Insurance rep went to Memphis equipment who offered to buy the salvaged truck for $2,800. They took their word (Memphis) for the truck's actual value, took the claimants money he had paid in high premiums to carry $30,000 in coverage, handed him a $2,800 check and walked away. Memphis got the truck at a steal, that truck had a Cat engine that was bringing 15 grand at the time. All the mechanicals were in great condition, the tree only damaged sheet metal stuff. Insurance people don't disclose all the ways they can legally screw you when a time comes for them to part with cash. With that said, think about this, if you were to (God forbid) get involved in a serious injury accident where it could be proven in court that your improper vehicular equipment was the cause of the accident. The insurance Company will run backwards on you so fast your head will spin. Guess who will be sued to the 100th degree?

This is my thinking for myself; I'd much rather equip my truck with proper, up to date, DOT approved equipment than I would to open myself up to the vast possibilities that could arise from such an incident. As some say, this is just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
              X