No announcement yet.

Which Year W500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The power steering set-up on pre 74 W500's isn't as common as manual steering and I believe its a "power assist" ram type set-up.

The 74-77 offered a more conventional power steering pump/box very much like what's on light duty pick-ups, just bigger.

My W600 has 157" wheelbase & has an 8'x11' flat bed. A 175" wheelbase truck could would look nice with a 8'x14' bed.

Have you ever looked through the sweptline registry?

Bucky

Comment

Yes, I just signed up. I've been poking around and learning a lot. I think the W500 is the truck for me, now I need to find the right one.

Comment

Where are you located?

Bucky

Comment

Yeah, I need to put that in my profile. Dittmer, Mo. @ 50 miles from St. Louis

Comment

They are more common in the Northwest, which makes sense, 4x4 is a necessity up there. But you'll find one soon. I'll be on the lookout on the interwebs for ya.

Bucky

Comment

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/5361214071.html

Here is one about 500 miles from you.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks, I've been looking at that one. Not many options on that one. No winch, lock outs, lift. There's one in Co. with a winch with the pumper still on the back, but they're wanting 10 grand. There's the two in the photo ads on the Advertiser that don't look bad. I called on the in Id., but it's sold.

I don't want to rush this one, I tend to jump the gun when looking. The right one is out there.

Thanks for all the help.

Ron

Comment

They tend to show up in Idaho/Oregon/Wyoming or over in the Pennsylvania/Massachusetts/Vermont area of the US.

I am astounded at the prices people are asking for Mopars. I'm not saying specifically about the W500's, but they're asking 2-3 grand for trucks that are non running or damaged/incomplete & 6-11 grand for some that aren't flawless by any means. Oh well!

Bucky

Comment

That '61 W500 is excellent.
                    John

Comment

Hobcobble,

Price is good, but doesn't have any options, added value. No lockouts, winch, etc. It has the 10 bolt wheels, which on these I don't know if that's good or bad, but wouldn't match up to the military wheels. If a guy went with different tires, he might have to have wheels made.

There's a couple others out there right now, one has the winch, but high dollar and the other has lock out hubs, but looks to be worked more.

Any thoughts on why you like the one in Ks.

Comment

If I may,
                        I think and agree he is telling you that is a very clean,rust free complete truck
                        At a good price.
                        These w500 are getting harder to find like this.
                        Most were worked hard as intended and beat.

The options you seek are just as hard to find.
                        None of them are made anymore.
                        Wheels? I don't see a problem.
                        To me you have two choices
                        One, buck up and get the one with the options you want if you find it.
                        Two, buy something like the one listed and add your options as you find them
                        Overtime.
                        Then you have exactly the truck you want.
                        Tom
                        WDX & Misc. Pics.
                        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                        "47" Dodge WDX WW
                        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                        "54" Willys M38A1
                        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
                          If I may,
                          I think and agree he is telling you that is a very clean,rust free complete truck
                          At a good price.
                          "He" .... meaning me?... You're correct, Tom.
                          On top of being in very decent shape body-wise, it
                          is the first year the Sweptlines were offered. This
                          is actually referred to as a Dart W500. It always
                          amazes me that the egg crate grills on the '61s
                          I've seen over the years are most often in great
                          shape for being so fragile. If the front axles are
                          anything like the early W100/200/300 style, you
                          could add in the lock out hubs.
                          John

Comment

Thanks guys, on the options I mentioned, buying a winch and gearbox, shaft, etc. can add up, as you know. Lock outs aren't as important, but nice to have. I really like the idea of buying a ex fire truck, here's one with the winch, but you pay for it...http://classiccars.com/listings/view...colorado-80135

I bet that winch wasn't used much over the years. Any ideas on what to do with the pumper bed, it has a 318 mounted in there you could sell, but anybody really looking for those beds?

I appreciate all the input, trying to get educated before buying.

Comment

Originally posted by scrapdaddy View Post
                              Any ideas on what to do with the pumper bed, it has a 318 mounted in there you could sell, but anybody really looking for those beds?

I appreciate all the input, trying to get educated before buying.
                              A friend of mine bought a nice D600 that had a similar set up on it. He
                              turned in all the red brass and got a pretty good penny for it. He kept
                              most of the decent flat pieces of the pumper bed to use on other projects.
                              The second 318 could be kept as a spare or sold to fund the project.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X