Split rim question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split rim question

I apologize for this question. Do split rims always have to use the rubber liner and an intertube. If so can any tire use an innertube?

To be technically correct, the Budd wheels used on these trucks are split ring, not split rim. Truck tire shops will not work on split rims, but are usually ok with the split rings.
    As for your questions, yes, a liner and inner tube are required with these wheels, because the wheels are not designed to be air tight. The tube holds the air, and the liner prevents the tube from chafing and eventually failing from wear against the drop-center part of the wheel. Other tubeless tires could theoretically be used with the Budd wheels so long as the inner tube and liner were also used with the tubeless tire. The bigger concern is in making sure that the tire bead and rim are a matched set. Paul Cook, webmaster of the www.texaspowerwagon.com site has information you will want to read.

http://www.texaspowerwagon.com/Tires.htm
    John

Comment

Originally posted by John Waak View Post
      To be technically correct, the Budd wheels used on these trucks are split ring, not split rim. Truck tire shops will not work on split rims, but are usually ok with the split rings.
      As for your questions, yes, a liner and inner tube are required with these wheels, because the wheels are not designed to be air tight. The tube holds the air, and the liner prevents the tube from chafing and eventually failing from wear against the drop-center part of the wheel. Other tubeless tires could theoretically be used with the Budd wheels so long as the inner tube and liner were also used with the tubeless tire. The bigger concern is in making sure that the tire bead and rim are a matched set. Paul Cook, webmaster of the www.texaspowerwagon.com site has information you will want to read.

The knowledge on this site amazes me. Thank you.

Comment

Using "tubeless" tires with split ring wheels

Good Morning,
        When I bought my Michelin XMLs (radial tubeless,) I learned that technically you are required to use liners and tubes matched to the tire when used on rims such as split rings.There is also a difference apparently between tubes meant for radials vs bias ply. As it happened, I had some rims made anyways because the tires were spec'd for a greater bead width than the stock rims.
        David

Comment

Originally posted by John Waak View Post

Allot of very good reading , thank you

Comment

Working...
          X