No announcement yet.

1979 Dodge Palomino Power Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a few Sweptliners in and around Sacramento, if you find the info, I can ask them to check it out.

Comment

Norm....
      I APPRECIATE that a bunch. I will see what I can do to locate it.
      Sam

Comment

Hi Palomino,

I just want to give my compliments on your trucks. Love the Palomino appearance. You've done a great job!

Mark

Comment

thanks....
          it took a little bit of time to get it to the condition that it is in now, and I can't believe it sometimes that it came from a wrecking yard.

Comment

Matt....
            did you ever get a chacne to take some pictures of the truck, and get a price figured out? I still have a 1978 macho power wagon that I might entertain trading for it. PLEASE ADVISE soon......
            Sam

Originally posted by mattsoldmopars View Post
            I have a PALOMINO Power Wagon, its a 79 short wheel base w100 as well. There was guy in town here that had two. One two wheel drive long bed and one four wheel drive short bed. I also saved mine from a junk yard, I got mine in Las Vegas a few years back. Nice clean rust free truck but needs some drive train work. Those are the only three that I have seen in person. But there is a guy out in Ca. somewhere that has a few of them, I think 5 or 6 or more. You should get a hold of him. I think mine came out of Ca at one time, it had Ca plates on it when I got it.

You did a very nice job on your truck. Not to many with the SE package, with nicer door panels and pedal dress up kit and all the other do dads, like dual gas tanks not to many short wheel bases like that. One other thing I noticed, I have never seen a pre 80 dodge with plastic inside window trim around the front window and headliner, did you ad that?? I always thought dodge didn't start that till around 87 or 88. Looks very nice either way, just was wondering is all. Where do you live?

Matt

Comment

79 D150 Palomino

Well, I had some time on my hands, and some help and built a truck up in a weekend. I started off with a 79 Long Bed Palomino 2wd, and ended up with a Short bed 2wd Palomino. Here are some pics....
              It was sure nice to have parts in color for it....
              Attached Files

Comment

Palomino Power Wagon for sale on Ebay!!

Nice clean* truck. Dont really see to many Palomino Power Wagon's most of the ones I have seen have been two drive trucks. This is a very saveable truck!

*meaning not all rusted out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MESE:IT&ih=020
                Attached Files

Comment

palomino power wagons....

yes, they are not that common, and even less common in a power wagon version. To this point there are 5 known lwb power wagon palomino trucks and I own 2 of those, to which one of them was sent off to the wrecking yard up in minnesota, and there are 7 known swb palomino power wagons, to which I currently own 2 of them, and one of them is also gone to the crusher in southern idaho.
                  Of those power wagon palomino's there are only 2 manual transmission trucks that I know about, mine and one in PA, mine being a "T" code 360 4bbl, and the other in PA being a "F" code 360 2bbl.
                  Most of these trucks were 360's, with the exception of 2 swb trucks, one being a "P" code 318 4bbl, and the other being a "E" code 318 2bbl.
                  Overall I know of about 50 or so trucks with the palomino package on them, all in various stages of condition.....
                  Attached Files

Comment

I still have not seen the one I sent you photos of (above). 'Been lookin' :)

Comment

palomino 4x4 swb

Originally posted by rxinhed View Post
                      I still have not seen the one I sent you photos of (above). 'Been lookin' :)
                      Last I checked it should be running around up there somewhere, and actually passed a smog inspection in may....otherwise it might have potentially hit the yards because of emissions

Comment

Other than the pictures here, I've only seen one other Palamino back when I was in college and selling Dodges for a local dealer. It was a new '79 2WD long-bed. We never had another in stock and I bet this one came to us via Chrysler's huge sales bank at the time.

I envy you. That's a really nice restoration on yours. Better than new I bet.

Comment

palomino collection

Thanks for the kudo's. I have amassed a small fleet of them, and probably need to sell a couple of them, I currently have 8 of them, all in different stages of life. In some ways I wished dodge was a little better about making parts for them, if it were a GM or Furd product, you could still go to the dealer and buy a lot of parts for them......

Comment

You're right about the parts situation. Compared to Ford and GM, even aftermarket manufacturers ignored Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler/Jeep as far back as I remember. But at least you could get them from Mopar. Today you're more likely to find replacement parts or accessories for Toyota and Nissan cars and trucks than for Chrysler products. Very frustrating. We've had five Dakotas in the family over the last 20 years and it's almost impossible to find upgraded/aftermarket parts for them. When the ball joints failed prematurely on my 2002 Quad Cab because they had no gease fittings, I went looking for aftermarket versions that did and couldn't find any. So, I had to stick with the original-type warranty parts that Chrysler had. I haven't found much in the way of upgrades for the 4.7L V8 either. Too bad, because it's a great engine with some untapped potential. There's certainly hundreds of thousands of 4.7's on the road so it's a decent sized market for parts and upgrades.

I remember back when Daimler-Benz purchased Chrysler that the rumor was they purged the parts distribution system of items beyond ten model years old. That has further compounded the parts shortage situation. I remeber my brother-in-law being able to get genuine Mopar replacement body panels for his Sunbeam Tiger directly from the parts counter at the local dealer even though the car was 20+ years old at the time. Can't do that anymore.

I think there may be a Federal law that dictates that car manufacturers have to supply parts for at least ten years. I could be wrong on that. Anyway, as the story goes, Daimler wanted to cut costs by reducing the number of parts on hand that had to be inventoried. I'm hoping that some industrious people got together and purchased the "old NOS" parts rather than see them go to the Daimler scrap heap. You do see NOS parts show up on eBay so somebody has some.

The Mopar parts division and the aftermarket suppliers have at least recognized the revenue potential for parts for the muscle cars of yore. Still, they don't have everything to rebuild your Challenger or Roadrunner like GM and Ford have for the Camaro and Mustang for example. Heck, you can build a complete '69 Camaro from new parts now including the complete body shell. You don't need a donor Camaro for anything. Wish you could even come close to doing that with a Power Wagon. If it wasn't for a few of the very dedicated poeple out there, finding parts for them at all would be impossible except for scrounging around in bone yards around the globe.

Comment

Hey Sam,

Where do go to get replacement graphics for something as rare as a Palomino?? I've often wondered how people come up with authentic replacements for the graphics on their restorations.

Thanks.

Comment

You are correct, the law states, 10 years for replacement parts, after that you are on your own.
                                Jeeps seem to have the most product support and the biggest demand for parts.
                                Frankly, and sad to say, Dodgers seem to be the cheapest owners on the planet. That's not meant in a derogatory sense, it's just the fact. The reason there are old Dodges is because their owners never replaced them and the trucks didn't break down, they just wore out around the driver.
                                When you do find Mopar Truck Parts, snap them up because we do not support our suppliers and vendors very well and they don't last long in business without support...
                                Dedicated Mopar guys end up selling Ford and Chevy parts because that is where the market is, Dodgers are too cheap and will use duct tape before we buy a new part.
                                Discuss....

Comment

Working...
                                X