No announcement yet.

2006 Pw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was cosidering a Power Wagon when I bought my 2005 Diesel 4x4 however my "Know it all" sales guy said that I wouldn't like the P.W. for highway use because it was geared to low.
    How is the gearing for hihway use?
    I still think Dodge should have built the Power Wagon concept they put out in 2000, now there was a truck that looked great. If they built that truck I would trade mine in tomorow just becouse they look so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake
      I was cosidering a Power Wagon when I bought my 2005 Diesel 4x4 however my "Know it all" sales guy said that I wouldn't like the P.W. for highway use because it was geared to low.
      How is the gearing for hihway use?
      I still think Dodge should have built the Power Wagon concept they put out in 2000, now there was a truck that looked great. If they built that truck I would trade mine in tomorow just becouse they look so good.
      I agree. Does anyone know, or has anyone heard why they didn't take that concept to production?

Comment

The vast majority of Concept vehicles never make it to market, however the concepts of the components often do make the cut.
        The Concept Power Wagon was HUGE! I've seen it twice, a hybrid 750 HP diesel motor that may one day see the light of day, power tailgate, 4 doors (hard to see but they are there) and rear seating, sway bar disconnects and internal winches (these are on the new Power Wagon) .
        The rear fender lips are starting to show up in the Dodge line ( Caliber and Durango) the headlights are now found on the Dakota and Durango,
        The Power Wagon Concept was a styling and mechanical exercise that was probably best left as such. As much as I loved the look, it was the size of a 2 ton truck and with the cost of fuel these days the only viable way to afford to run it would have been with the hybrid diesel motor, however that motor cannot meet the newer emmission standards. As popular as it was on the show circuit, the bean counters want to sell at least 100,000 units of any vehicle slated for production, if the public at the shows doesn't deluge the company with affirmative responses then the concept has no chance.
        Sometimes the demand is there but the company doesn't have the smarts to follow through, this was an American concept, made before the jerries came, they DO NOT "GET" the American truck market, just last month they killed the Gladiator Concept, they are short sighted and ball less when it comes to American tastes and they are trying to cram eurojunk vehicles down our throats. Sorry to get opinionated here but it really ticks me off as I think about the lost opportunities since dam-near came into control at Dodge and Jeep.

Instead of these two awesome vehicles with HUGE consumer response, they choose to build a Jeep Compass, an ugly box that no one asked for and it gets pathetic fuel economy, is not off roadable and just missed the mark by miles, they are stacking up unsold at a dealer near you. Meanwhile not a diesel is to be found in the small lineup while they make plans to end ALL Mopar engine production is favor of a their Mercedes "World" engine a terrible running V-6 that is not very fuel efficient, runs rough and vibrates and has NO torque at the low end.
        Wake up Dam-nearChrysler, this is not Europe......
        MN
        Last edited by MoparNorm; 09-19-2006, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Norm, I guess that's why I haven't seriously looked at a new vehicle for many years. I too liked the gladiator and was looking forward to it's release. I thought it would be a sure thing.The retro styling of the Power Wagon concept was appealing, but not practical, so work on it. Ford is obviously enjoying profits from it's decision to retro the mustang look. Everywhere I look I see a new Mustang with the American muscle look. Your opinion on the eurojunk is shared by many.

Comment

Guys:

I agree. But ya have to also consider the tastes this younger generation has (or doesn't). When coming home from the Volo show, Maynard's friend spouts out how he thinks that Scion box thing is such an awesome car. Good thing Maynard stopped me from my initial response, as I don't think the kid's Mom woulda understand why I tossed him outa the Beast at 50 MPH. When I asked him why he thought that way, he couldn't answer except it just was. If this is the future, WE'RE DOOMED!

Later
            Ugg

Comment

Movies...

Personally - I blame those "Fast and Furious" type movies. They seem to want a tiny car now-a-days with 200hp, and zip around through traffic like it's a video game (Please Lord, let me find one zipping in and out of traffic when My HeMi-37 is done and on the road...).

The prototype was at the Iowa State Fair a few years ago... I fell in love all over again...

http://imageevent.com/singsaasfamily...typepowerwagon

Comment

Dana...mail me your back-up badge ...just in case you get in trouble after nailing a pocket rocket with your Hemi.....I'll be there....= )

Agree! Once you've seen the Power Wagon Concept in person, you get an entirely different perspective, it IS nice!
                MN

Comment

Dana:

From what I gather, the reason those Rice Rockets are so popular is $$$. Back in the day, you could pick up a $25.00 beater & hit the road. These days the same beater costs about a G. I remember putting $2.00 worth of gas in my big block & crusin all day & night. $10.00 would give ya a nice little road trip.

Then again, I've seen some kids putting sound systems in their rides that cost more than the car did.I have yet to see anyone on the road with a rig like in that flick, but the street racers aren't that big around here. What ya see around here are either Low Riders, or classics. Speaking of which, one of my neighbors has this "Garden Railroad" set up. During this summer, all kinds of different groups would stop by & check it out. One group was a classic car club. In that group was a 1917 Rolls Silver Ghost.

I had sent Maynard down the street to check out all these cars (there were about 40 of em parked on the street), and went to the end of my driveway to see where he was. That's when the owners (husband & wife) of the Ghost were getting ready to leave, so I started talking to them. They saw the deuce sitting there and made comments about it, & I said that was nothing, check out the Beast. They went nuts over it. I'm thinking yeah, you got a $1 million + vehicle and your talkin about an old Dodge truck. The guy said his Dad had an old PW & it brought back found memories.

He asked if there was a market for them. I said there was, but it's just starting to grow. If he acted fast, I'd let him have the Beast for $100K. Then I told him for a couple of mil, I could locate 5 or 6 PW's in restorable condition. So, it was nice knowin you guys. I'm buyin an island. HA! Jest kiddin.

Later
                  Ugg

Comment

Ahhh, one of the first warning signs of geezeritis! "In my day..." You guys may be forgetting where these kids came from. I built model cars when I was a kid and when I almost grew up, I bought them for real! These kids had different toys when they were crawling around on the carpet making uUNNnnn-UNNnnn noises: HOT WHEELS! That's why these garbage excuses for real cars sell: it's what they grew up with! Weird wheels, low to the ground, strange colors, chrome and nothing much more. Now the faht pipes make all the uUNNnn-UNNnnn noises for them too.

D/C has a poor track record in America except amongst the well heeled or wannabe's who could afford or lusted after their luxo-barges. Remember a few years back when Mercedes could ONLY BE PURCHASED WITH DIESELS IN AMERICA? That program was specifically designed and aimed at the good old USA. How do we know? Because the Germans themselves WOULD NOT BUY THE MERCEDES DIESELS! I know this for a fact because I lived in Germany during those times. The Germans bought only the hot gassers and left the oil burners for America with a chuckle.

Let's face it: D/C has a target audience for marketing products and for the most part WE'RE NOT IT! Looks is everything nowadays with people nursed on substitutes and 'Let's pretend" virtual reality. They're getting exactly what they ask for: bells and whistles, little true substance. The first clue is when it takes 15 minutes to exlain to someone what a Power Wagon actually is.....

JimmieD

Comment

Jimmie:

Naw, that's the 2nd sign. You know what the 1st is don't ya? Well? NO SILLY, bad knees! Git yer mind outa the gutter fella! HA! Now don't get me started on DC again, they follow the same school of thought as F*rd with the Pinto/gas tank. And ya notice who's name is 1st in DC.

Later
                      Ugg

Comment

Uggy...with your luck, if you bought an island,....it'd sink....= )
                        MN

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD

Let's face it: D/C has a target audience for marketing products and for the most part WE'RE NOT IT! Looks is everything nowadays with people nursed on substitutes and 'Let's pretend" virtual reality. They're getting exactly what they ask for: bells and whistles, little true substance. The first clue is when it takes 15 minutes to exlain to someone what a Power Wagon actually is.....

JimmieD
                          They are a poor steward of the Dodge and Jeep nameplates. What they are doing to Jeep is nothing short of criminal.
                          MN

Comment

Yep..........!

Comment

Nammy:

I agree on both posts. On the 1st, with my luck, they'd restart above ground nuke testing. Can we say Bikini??? On the 2nd, it's pure revenge. ;>)

Later
                              Ugg

Comment

Hey All, new member here. Been a Dodge fan since I purchased my first new '01 1500 Ram. Since had an '03 2500 and now an '05 Power Wagon. Great site here, peaking my interest in finding an old 1ton civilian PW in Northeast PA area to possibly restore, just a thought as of now.

Here's my ride (more pics located at http://joebones.com/gallery/wagon)
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X