Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get TW into garage

For this my WC 63 is very useful.
    I fix a snatch block at inner wall in garage.
    The winch vire from WC 63, thru snatch block to TW.
    And the truck enters my garage nice and easy.
    Mats
    Attached Files

Ha ha ha, too cool, Mats, too cool! Nothing can stop a dedicated Dodge Boy! I see you made the right choice of which one goes into a nice warm, dry garage, too!

JimmieD

Comment

Yea Jimmie,

Only my TW in the warm garage.
      But the other trucks have at least room inside.
      I have rebuilt an old barn. It is now garage and storage on bottom floor. And an apartment and more storage space on second (or do you say first?) floor.

Mats A
      Attached Files

Comment

Mats, doesn't your Townwagon run? Just wondering why you had to winch it in the barn? Very good looking barn by the way.

Comment

Man that is some great digs, Mats!!! Dream come true for a gearhead ha haha....

There was a show on American television, 'Vegas', with Robert Urich as a private eye. His home was a garage for his '57 T-bird, with an upstairs loft bungalow for those tedious things like sleeping. I always thought that was a pretty good idea. Some guys might like to go to sleep with the odor of Jasmine or Passion or somesuch wafting in the nostrils: but I'm rather partial to Hypoid or Castrol myself. My 'house' is currently my shop and I see no need to change....

JimmieD

Comment

Thank you guys.
            I am very pleased with my "living environment".

No, Ron. My TW isnŽt running.
            It is a restortion project, but a good one.
            Some earlier owners has started taking it apart.
            The engine is just hung in, and a lot of parts is in boxes.
            But that is not a problem, since I am taking it apart for a frame up restortion. And IŽm planning for some mecanical "improvments."
            I bougth a Ford F100 powersteering box yesterday.
            ItŽs a 3 year project.

Mats

Comment

Jimmie:

Before he did "Vegas", he did another PI show set in Boston (the name slips me now), and he lived in a converted fire station and drove a fastback 67 Mustang.

Mats:

I always wanted to do something like that, but my wife said she'd remove certain body parts of mine if I brought that idea up again, and being that I wanted children, I stopped. 8>0

Later
              Ugg

Comment

Ugg,

I got my children before I built this living.

One good motive for having a large garage there you live, is that your wife will always have you at home.

Jimmie,

Is the hypoid smell successful with ladies, or have you found a better oil product?

An english lesson please,

Shop is short for workshop I guess.
                What is the difference between a workshop and a garage?
                And is a service manual the same thing as a shop manual?

Mats

Comment

Mats:

re: English Lesson.

Yep, shop is short for workshop. A garage is where you park your vehicle ONLY. Or in my case, where your wife stores junk she doesn't want to throw out.

When we 1st bought Uggville, I had a garage built special for me. It is 28' deep by 38' wide and only has 1 overhead door that is 10' high. It was to be my hideout and workshop. I have all my tools and several benches in it. One day she asked if she could put a few items in it for "JUST A LITTLE". The stuff became cancerous and spred thru out the whole place. Now to enter, I have to walk sideways. 8>( I can't even fit a bicycle in there now, let alone a car or truck. BTW, we also have 3 other nice sized out buildings that has her stuff in it, and I'm afraid to go in the attic because it might cave due to the stuff in there.

Later
                  Ugg

Comment

Originally posted by Mats
                    Ugg,

I got my children before I built this living.

One good motive for having a large garage there you live, is that your wife will always have you at home.

An english lesson please,

Shop is short for workshop I guess.
                    What is the difference between a workshop and a garage?
                    And is a service manual the same thing as a shop manual?

Mats
                    Mats,
                    First of all, your English and American is better than ours! ha!ha!
                    Now for slang and custom, yes the "shop" is short for workshop.
                    A Garage is a structure, originally designed to house vehicles, but in reality it is for everything not wanted in the house, such as Ugg mentioned. It was normal for a one car garage to be used for storage in the 1930's, because cars were growing in size and did not fit. These garages became "shops", or in reality storage sheds. Then garages grew to become "two car garages", that meant twice as much space for your junk while the cars sat outside somewhere. In the 60's you started to see 3 car garages, some lucky folks could actually park one car in with all the junk and the other two sat outside somewhere. Now it is not unheard of to buy a house with a 4 car garage, so that the one car can still fit inside while the other three are...parked outside somewhere....
                    Winston Churchhill (who was half American) once said that the English and Americans were two people bonded by their shared love of liberty and freedom, who were separated only by their common language ...ha!ha!
                    Now we can add Sweden and Dodges to the bond...= )
                    MN

Comment

Garages

As MoparNorm just stated about garages, i am seeing more and more garages being built as another living space with kitchen, bathroom, big screen tv's, tables, carpet flooring, as a baquet hall. the funny thing is no cars ever go in them.....

Comment

OK, now when I know the differense between garage and workshop IŽll have to correct my earlier statement.
                        My TW is in my warm workshop, and my other trucks is in the cold garage. Everything I value is indoors, but my everyday drive to work Volvo is always outdoors.
                        Workshop 9x9,5meters.
                        Garage 20x9,5m.
                        Apartment 10x9m.
                        Storage 20x9,5m.
                        By the way, have you started to use the metric system yet, or do you still only use inch and feet?

Mats

Comment

Originally posted by Mats
                          By the way, have you started to use the metric system yet, or do you still only use inch and feet?
                          Mats
                          I remember learning the metric system in school during the mid 1970's -- the US was on a "Ten Year Plan" to adopt the metric system (Get it? Ten year plan, the metric system is based on powers of ten, very clever, right?). Well, it's 30 years later, and we still use feet, inches, miles, quarts, gallons, acres, pounds, etc. Some (most?) industries have converted, because that's the only way to do business in a global economy, and the military has used the metric system for quite some time... Not that it was easy in any case, but Thermodynamics class was made even worse when we had to use "US Customary" units -- BTUs, degrees Rankine, etc. (thermo is why I'm NOT a Mechanical Engineer today, that and beer and girls... ;-) The metric system is just so logical and straightforward, but tradition has a strong grip.

At least Ugg has a garage that needs clearing out -- I have only a 1-car carport, a covered area but open on three sides. Keeps most of the snow and rain out, but if the storm is out of the Northeast (and most of them are), it blows right in. And you can't set up a workbench, because aside from being too small, any passer-by could walk away with your tools, materials, etc., or worse, some neighbor's kid hurts himself and his parents sue you. Carports are pretty popular in warmer regions, but for some reason (I suspect cheap builders in the 50's when most of these homes were built), there are a lot of them in my area of central Pennsylvania...

Andy

Comment

Hey, Mats, I see that your combined workshop, garage and storage space is roughly 5 times the size of your living quarters. Good to see that you have your priorities in order ha haha!

In my case I live in a mobile home out in the country with no shop, garage etc. The plan was to build a full length covered deck all along one side, with deck at 1 meter height, so that it could function as a workbench when standing but also to keep equipment/machinery up off the ground. Couldn't finish it for various reasons, so the mobile home is the combined shop and living quarters. Drill press and a Rigid [brand] vise on a pipe stand plus 4 workbenches in the living room, often a motorcycle there too, steel tool cabinets in the kitchen, back rooms for parts storage and the leftover space as a place to sleep, shower and cook. Works for me, as a batchelor.

"Jimmie,

Is the hypoid smell successful with ladies, or have you found a better oil product?"

I find that any lady worth my time has a decided preference for Catrol, just a dab behind the ears you know.... :~ )
                            Last edited by JimmieD; 02-24-2006, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Hi Jimmie,

Everyone has to find out what works best for him(or her).

Since I also collect gas pumps, I have 3 old restored ones in my livingroom. Plus 9 globes.

Mats

Comment

Working...
                              X