1957 315V8 motor mounts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 315V8 motor mounts...

Does anyone have pictures of what these mounts look like on the frame and engine?

My TWPW came with a hacked in 1967 440 and the guy was nice enough to include the original engine cross member. It's sold and coming out this winter and an '87 318 is going in. I want to have a small block similar to the original engine but made for unleaded gas and oil without zinc. The crossmember has a couple of round thick rubber pads which are much different than the square mounts on the 87. I need to figure out which I want to use and build adaptor mountings.

Any help would be appreciated.
    DrPepper

The 57 315 front engine mount is a upside down U shaped stamped steel unit. It's bolted down with U bolts to the front cross member. It will only work on a 315. The cross member you are referring to may be the rear member where the bell housing sits normally. It has round rubber mounts. You will have to fab motor mounts to the frame for the front of the 87 318 or possibly adapt what has already been made . What transmission are you using?

Comment

Both the 440 and my doner came with a 727 automatic....

I'm not keen on automatics but it looks like a 727 will be going in. I will have to look at the frame, I didn't think about the crossmember being for the trans, I was told it was for the engine.... huh, time to back up and regroup. The engine crossmember that is welded in is a class A hack job and done so badly that it covers a sterring gear bolt and brake lines.... I guess it will be a fab from scratch.....like it or not.
      You have been a big help...thanks.
      I'll be in W. Lafayette tomorrow... where are you in relation to there?
      DrPepper

Comment

I live just east of New Haven, 3 hours from W Lafayette. I'll assume someone is going to Purdue? With that automatic my guess would be a rear cross member was fabbed to hold up the tailstock of the 727. The frame I used for my 59 W200 had a 440 in it but the worst was a notch cut in the top of the frame and a hole in the front cross member. I welded a patch on the frame and had to replace the cross member. You'll have your work cut out for you.

Comment

Sounds like the same hack did yours...

I have the same repairs to make, frame and an oil filter size hole in the cross member. I'll clean it up and patch it, probably reinforce things a bit then figure out what more needs to be added to attach the 318 mounts. I'm really looking forward to having a good running streetable vehicle.
          Thanks again for the motor mount memory jog, I owned a 57 PU from about 1967 to 1973. Should have kept it....

Comment

Motor Mounts

I will try to take some pictures Sunday

Comment

Working...
            X