Started 45 years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started 45 years ago

I got started with M37s in the Army only we called them three quarters instead of M37s. I drove threequarters at Ft. Greely Alaska from 1960-62 as a weather observer Sig C Met Team Alaska.I drove about 80 miles a day servicing weather instruments at the test ranges of the arctic test activity.I thought at the time I sure would like to own a truck like this someday.About 20 years ago I bought a 1960 M37b1 from a vol. fire dept.I have it restored original.I also have a 1951 M37 with a 318 V8 and 4.89 axles.

I meant to attach this picture
    Attached Files

Comment

These are my M37s now.
      Attached Files

Comment

Those are really great looking trucks....

I am curious, what did the trucks in Alaska have for heaters? Did you use engine heaters?
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Arctic M37s

We had full arctic kits on some of our trucks.There was a gasoline fired heater on the left front fender that heated the cab.Another gas fired heater under the drivers seat heated the rear passenger area.A gas fired heater was at the base of the right fender below the jerry can holder to preheat the engine for starting under extreme cold conditions.All vehicles were stored in a heated motor pool at night and the engine heaters were never used as for as I know and as a result probally didnt function.
          With all heaters running fuel mileage was bad. Riding in the front or back at 60 below felt ok when wearing full arctic gear.
          Attached Files

Comment

Great pictures :-) Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Hirte
              Great pictures :-) Kurt

I agree....
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Great Pictures

Hey Jerry,
                I gotta agree with Gordon & Kurt! I wish I had a few of me from the sixties/seventies. Minot, ND and Bucks Harbor AFS, Machias, ME, funny, the only thing I ever saw in South East Asia were M-43's, & I didn't get a chance to drive any of 'em? I even had a Chinese driver's license?

Comment

USA numbers

After looking at the photo of the rear of the arctic shelter, I noticed the USA # was 201010902 and my truck is USA# 201010909 or only 7 numbers higher. I wonder how many were built a day and if they were both built in the same week in 1953. Carter

Comment

Registration numbers

Carter, I dont know if the hood or in this case door numbers correspond to production dates.I think I remember most of our trucks had 1951-52 delivery dates.I have never understood what the hood numbers really mean, they dont match the frame numbers.Robi may know.It is intersting that your number is so close.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hey Jerry,
                      Thanks for sharing the pics and info. I assume that was not a typo, as 60 below, as in six zero?!!! Wow....makes me cold just thinking about it.
                      JimmieD

Comment

Working...
                      X