Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I discovered Power Wagons

How I discovered Power Wagons

Hi, My name is Tim and I am a dodgeaholic...

I was driving along in Vermont and saw a really rugged looking truck with a plow next to the road, for sale. Turned out to be a 41, 1/2 ton. I had never really noticed these trucks before. I drove it home, no brakes and 1/2 of the transfer case on the floor beside me.

Someone had done something radically wrong and the transfer case literally broke in half. Fortunately, the rear drive shaft was still getting power, but not the front. I put tire chains on the rears and plowed all winter like that. I finally found a transfer case in a military junkyard. when picking it up, I saw an MU-2 winch there. After negotiating a price, I went home to start saving up for it.

About the time I raised the money, I found a 55 Power Wagon wrecker, with the winch, for sale, for the same price as the winch at the junkyard. I drove that home too. If you filled the master cyl. and pumped it up, you got brakes until the fluid was gone, long enough to get me home. I moved the plow to that rig and plowed with that for about 10 years. It was pretty tender in spots.

About 5 years ago, a friend of a friend was at the shop and saw the Power Wagon. He said he had a 57 for sale. Frozen engine, but a dump bed and in decent shape. I bought it sight unseen and had to drive to North Adams Mass to get it. My wife just shook her head when she saw it. There was nothing forward of the firewall except the frame and the axle. The rest was in a heap in the bed, engine, winch, transmission, fenders, hood etc. Got it home to Vermont and spent the winter rebuilding the engine and transmission, and installed them in the spring.

Since then I have rebuilt/restored mechanical components, but other than a new seat cover, nothing cosmetic. I want a truck I can throw firewood into and not worry about the paint. I recently decided to broaden my horizons and actually get it registered. I am in the middle of rebuilding the brakes, rewiring it and running new gas lines. My goal is to drive it to the green mountain power wagon rally Oct. 4th.

Many miles before we sleep...

Thanks for listening, Tim
    57 Power Wagon
    Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
    57 W-100
    60 W-100
    51 M37
    61 Triumph TR-3A
    80 Triumph Spitfire
    09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
    05 Subaru Outback
    10 speed bike
    Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Tender In Spots

Hhey Tim,
    It sounds like you got a horse shoe somewhere, good stories too, but I gotta ask, where or what is "Tender In Spots" ? Were you talking about rust, or something else like that?

Comment

Hi Bruce,
      The wrecker had lived a pretty rough life before I got it. The engine was pretty worn, the floors were mostly patches over patches, no brakes, almost nothing electrical worked, that kind of thing. It has become a donor vehicle. They had a really cool brake line lock with a guage. I cleaned it up and discovered it was all bronze. Looks like something off of a boat. It now resides on my "good" PW steering column. I am constantly heading out behind the shop to grab something off it. I was thinking today that a parts truck should be a mandatory part of owning an old PW!!
      Thanks, Tim
      57 Power Wagon
      57 W-100
      60 W-100
      51 M37
      61 Triumph TR-3A
      80 Triumph Spitfire
      09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
      05 Subaru Outback
      10 speed bike
      Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

How About A Picture

Hey Tim,
        I agree with you about the parts vehicle, although I never did get one. Are you going to let us see this beauty, or did I miss a link somewhere? <LOL>

Comment

Thats asking alot! My digital camera is temporarily (hopefully) AWOL. Once I find it, then I have to figure out how to post a pic. Have patience, I will get something together.
          Thanks for the interest, Tim
          57 Power Wagon
          57 W-100
          60 W-100
          51 M37
          61 Triumph TR-3A
          80 Triumph Spitfire
          09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
          05 Subaru Outback
          10 speed bike
          Hiking Boots