Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always "Mobilized"

Yo "Dodgers"!

My love for Dodge trucks goes way back to my childhood years and my interest in WW2 history. My father survived WW2 as an infantryman from D-Day to reconstruction era as an engineer. I wish I had all those pictures he took of equipment and trucks and buddies...but his second wife got them after his death and they have "disappeared".

Those Dodges were awesome to me then and still are. I own a 96 Dodge 4X4 for daily travel and a 52 M43 and 53 M43...my penchant for ambulances was a simple desire to make a travelling memorial to the medics who gave their lives in Vietnam, and as an honor my best friend's brother.

Restoration is nearly complete on my first M43 and progressing slowly on the second. Will be done by Memorial Day 2004. The Memorial will be completed this winter and ready for travel next spring.

Love these old trucks for their history, strength,character and forgiving nature as this mechanic learns along the way. MOST important has been the outstanding people I have met either online or in-person who have shared their knowledge,wisdom and friendship as we commiserate about these fine trucks. This hobby has renewed my spirit!

I do most of my own work and the daily challenges of my "day job" as a rural family physician keeps me from putting the time in that is needed...BUT...slow and certain beats sittin' and wishin'.

Someday, I will own my ultimate truck...a fully restored WC54...right now my wife wishes I had a bigger barn to hide all this stuff.

Regards, Mobilized (and always wishin' but seldom sittin') Medic

Re: Always "Mobilized"

Originally posted by Jay Turnbull
    ...my penchant for ambulances was a simple desire to make a travelling memorial to the medics who gave their lives in Vietnam, and as an honor my best friend's brother.
    Jay, please tell me us about your best friend's brother.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Jay,

I saw your comment about being a rural family physician, and the time constraints that creates. I can relate, as I am a rural veterinarian, although in last few years our area has become more semi rural and I have a little more time than when I started 26 years ago- which was crazy, I could not do it at the age I am now (50).

Enjoyed your comments about WW2 and the associated vehicles.
      At the Iowa rally last month there were some WC trucks modified for mudding that were really neat.

Dave

Comment

Re: Re: Always "Mobilized"

Originally posted by Gordon Maney
        Jay, please tell me us about your best friend's brother.
        Yo Gordon!
        My friend's brother died in action in Vietnam while serving in the infantry. I was 16 at the time and did not understand the sorrow or signicance being too caught up in the selfish focus of adolescence. It was not until The Wall came to be that a simple emblazoned name on a wall of granite blasted me with the reality
        of that loss. My father instillled in me the need to "let no one forget" from little on, and it was that name that gave me the impetus for the project I am embarked on.
        Each and every D-Day I arise to greet the sunrise for a moment's reflection as my Dad did. Someday,"my" WC54 will ride to honor him. Or maybe one of those CCKW dump trucks he loved for the work they could do...not a Dodge, but hey...it's olive drab.
        Those old Dodges.. they carried us, moved us and now enthrall us. Whoever designed them looked into the very soul of us that appreciate these trucks' essence and that is what gives these trucks life.
        Regards, Mobiliized (and keepin' movin') Medic

Comment

Working...
        X