Rear pinion seal change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Information,

I'm in the process of trying to get out a stuck seal cover to fix a leaky rear Diff.

Comment

Removing pinion seals . .

They are a pain to remove. After I made a little puller - and discovered pulling out the seal did not remove the outer seal part, I had another idea. BTW: I was suprised to find that the pinion seal flange o.d. for the seal (recess where inner seal sits in the tin seal flange that holds it) comes in at least 2 sizes. I MIG welded 1/4" course nuts on the outer seal holder flange and used a plain old steering wheel puller to pull the seal flange out of the pumpkin castings.

If you have a welder handy, welding on the nuts rather than drilling and tapping the seal flange and using a puller is a bit easier and much faster.

I like Charles' idea - the adapter with new seals is the way to go.

Comment

This worked for me

My pinion shaft seal would'nt budge for nothing. I swore it was welded into the housing. Spent hours using every contraption I have to move it. At the late of day I gave up but I shot some PB blaster around the crack of the seals 4 inch diameter. I went back to it three days later. It was off in two minutes.

Comment

pinion seal removed

I should add that I wiped every trace I could of the blaster around the housing after it came off. I don't know if this stuff could leave a negative effect. Then I changed the 90W gear oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickathome View Post
            I used a slide hammer to get my seal out and it worked great. Drill 3 1/4" in holes around the outer circumference of the seal, tap them for a 1/4 X 20 bolt, then working from one hole to the next, drive the seal out.
            I am very glad to have found this post, I tried the above first and though the seal moved, the holes stripped because I could only get about 2 threads worth from the tap as the material was so thin. I tacked some nuts on and it popped right out with the slide hammer.

Question: Does one use any sealant when reinstalling?

Comment

Sealant - yes, if no sealant on outer seal edge from factory. Also, put a little sealant on pinion nut washer facing pinion shaft splines so oil does not leak out pinion shaft onto the yoke flange. (Do this on t/c as well to avoid the mystery slight leaks at pinion flanges).

Comment

Thanks for that .
                As to the differential itself, should the large paper gasket between it and the axle be installed dry, with Aviation sealant, Permatex, or....?

Comment

Sealant on the diff paper gasket? I once debated using sealant on a water pump gasket with a Dodge engineer. He said that the machined surfaces with naked gasket were well suited to seal w/o concerns of leaks. I put the w/p in w/o sealant. The gasket blew out and the water contaminated my oil and hurt my engine. Lesson: when new, no sealant may have been ok. After years, pitting, warping, ect, what harm is a little bit of sealant?. Use as little as you can get away with.

Sealant type - anything works - including alum paint if desperate, b/c almost no pressure on sealing surface. I use Permetex black, $25 gasket in a can (like cheese-wiz - very convenient and sets up w/in 1 hr), or brush on sealant (Permetex brand - spells lousy and tough to get of hands).

NOTE: Some WWII WC trucks use 2 gaskets - have warning tag on diff housing.

Comment

Yes, the paper gasket. I will follow your advice, I like that Indian Head or Aviation sealant, very user friendly.

Comment

Might sound funny, but...

I've installed many paper gaskets with wheel bearing grease. Spread it on and let it soak into the paper, a little extra holds the gasket in place and cleanup is always easy. Seems to work good on water pumps and T-stat housings.
                      DrPepper

Comment

Working...
                      X