No announcement yet.

Alex's '42 WC53 Carryall Build Details - Cummins ISB170

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery top strap that I can run wires through. A mount for my grid heater relays. It appears that this is the nature that I have to load my photos. Can non paying subscribers see these images?
    Attached Files
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Nice Work, and Yes I can see them.
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Still stuffing things into this battery box. Got my Mega fuse stand built. Going to bolt this down and start having battery cables made and terminating my major power leads.

Now I can't get the attachment photos to upload... uggh

Comment

I cannot wait to see this finished product, all of the details, custom fabricated brackets, It is easy to tell this is built well. Fabricated from the heart and mind of a true WagonHead. Keep up the fantastic work!
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Welcher PWA View Post
            I cannot wait to see this finished product, all of the details, custom fabricated brackets, It is easy to tell this is built well. Fabricated from the heart and mind of a true WagonHead. Keep up the fantastic work!
            Thank ya sir!

Got one of the pictures to work, not the best one but you guys get the idea.
            Attached Files

Comment

Got a new stainless hinge for the side box... only to decide that I am going to just build a new battery box cover a little later on. I want it to be able to lock with a key or something so it will just be easier that way. Also, the body is still smooshed too short so the existing box doesn't fit.

Also got the new grid heater relays and mounts in place. Going to make a cover for these things too so as to protect them from the elements.
              Attached Files

Comment

More noodle chasing

Still plugging along on the wiring. Quite a bit to the complexity of this truck I am building.

Turned a giant bundle of mess into something a bit cleaner. Also, I am going to run the Mil-spec style battery terminals. I had them on my M37 and they were great for adding extra connections. Since I am running dual batteries, this will also help with installing them both. Compressor and Can system / Grid heater power leads connected. I ordered the wrong size terminal for my starter wire. Its a #1 not a 1/0... oops.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looking really good Alex. I have to say that doing the wiring on my 6x6 was one of the more rewarding parts of the project. A slog, but fun at the same time. And it let me express my not-so-latent OCD-ness for a while. Hope you enjoy the process with yours. I appreciate your skill and your attention to the details.
                  Greg Coffin
                  Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                  1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                  1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                  1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                  1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                  1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Coffin View Post
                    Looking really good Alex. I have to say that doing the wiring on my 6x6 was one of the more rewarding parts of the project. A slog, but fun at the same time. And it let me express my not-so-latent OCD-ness for a while. Hope you enjoy the process with yours. I appreciate your skill and your attention to the details.
                    Thanks! I am trying to do it all the right way the first time. I've had weekends ruined and money wasted by allowing others who were "experts" at wiring because it was something I had never messed with other than the "stereo"typical highschool kid working on radios and amplifiers. One expert caused a fire on my Jeep due to undersized Relay selection for an E-fan and lack of circuit protection. The other caused a short that kept cooking fuses for my fuel pump in the same vehicle when I installed a fuel cell and had to relocate the tank and extend the wiring. That failure was due to both routing (no abrasion guard) and terrible splice connections with no water resistance (pvc crimp connectors and just electrical tape). Both events yielded quite unpleasant and expensive trips because things like that always happen at the furthest point back on the trial or in the middle of the night, etc. I am trying to address as much as I can with this harness. Circuit protection, insulation from abrasive damage and heat, water tight connections, and ground system redundancy are all key points in this process. I've found some of that heat shrink that has the glue inside and its great stuff! I am also soldering all of my splice connections; none of those crimp bullet connectors for me, no thanks!

So, more pictures of boring wire work. The CAN system also requires a slightly altered thought process based on how the controls work, features that it provides already, and features I want to modify (like I plan on having an electric horn, an air horn, and a siren all tied into the horn outputs).
                    Attached Files

Comment

More boring wiring stuff, but moving along on it. I have systems on top of system it seems and wires for all kinda of things. I do it to myself though; all of the fancy with with AC system, and the fan controller, cruise control that is part of the Cummins ECM, and then the electronic controlled Allison, etc. I am using water sealed modern connectors for splicing my engine harness into the chassis harness and also the transmission harness and gauge system is all part of that too.

Ohh, and then there is my new trailer brake controller! I didn't want a great big controller hanging down above my knee, and I even thought about frenching a Tekonsha or something into the center console or something... However, I found this cool thing made by the Aussies, (who also make that really Heavy Duty compressor I bought) and decided I would install this and give it a try. It has a remote small dash mounted dial, and it has a push button to switch modes to where you can spin the dial and apply the brakes or set the value and it will hold it if the dial gets bumped. The main box doesn't have to get mounted in a particular way because the accelerometers have a "learning mode" that you can calibrate to teach the sensors what direction the normal stop occurs. This way I can hide all of these things and just have the knob somewhere. I haven't fully decided where everything is going yet. I ended up with a few more indicator lights and switched things than I originally expected. This thing is going to look like a bomber cockpit before its all said and done.
                      Attached Files

Comment

To work on the wiring behind the dash, instead of standing on my head, I made a copy of the dash panel and installed my switches and controls in there. I need to order my instrument Bezels and pigtails though because I can't seem to find the set I have... and the ones I have were pretty well corroded.

I can't seem to prevent the website from rotating the photo.. My apologies.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Its ALIVE!!! And only 6 hours before its 75th Birthday! So today is the trucks birthday too!

https://youtu.be/x6T4d-tG0dc

https://youtu.be/sFW_f0BYGQQ

Comment

Built a guard to cover my trailer brake and AC system power breakers. Also holds the engine fan relay and a switching relay that jumps power between the electric horn and the Air horns.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Got started on the brake light switch for my home build brake pedal hangar.
                              Attached Files

Comment

So it appears I haven't updated this thread in a long while and I don't give out all the specific details in the Carryall thread. I have more or less abandoned all of the other forums aside from here and when someone asks on Pirate4x4, I'll respond but lately those folks seem generally disinterested.

So, heres what I've been up to, and this may be a whole bunch of posts so if you get an email about this being updated, it may be worth a visit to the actual PWA site to see ALL of the things I am posting.

In the WWII Subforum I posted that I had closed in my rear floor where the truck had been rearended, here are some cross linked photos.

I also dug out my front suspension parts. I did some math on the estimated weight of the truck and I think I will have to add the reservoirs onto these things. I also am probably going to end up painting them, which is sad because they look cool but I changed the color of the truck!

MORE POSTS TO FOLLOW SO CHECK IT OUT ON THE FORUM IF YOU ARE READING THE SUBSCRIPTION EMAIL... or down below if you are already here.

Comment

Working...
                                X