Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try Something Else

Hi All,

My first post. Been reading the Fuller trans thread with a 5.9 Cummins.

I just installed a Fuller FSO-6406A (6 speed O/D) in my 2001 Dodge 3500

I have pictures and parts required on my web site http://www.sanco-bg.com/Conversion_NV5600.htm

http://www.sanco-bg.com/Cross%20Meme...nted_small.JPG

and hydraulic slave clutch actuator
    http://www.sanco-bg.com/Actuator%20M...et-2_small.JPG

Mods on FO-8406 to FSO-8406
    http://www.sanco-bg.com/Input%20Shaf...pine_small.JPG

Basically a remove and replace process. Got everythig to R/R for $1,600 including freight. Fab portion is rear support and hyd slave clutch bracket. Need mod for driveline. Cost is about $2,800 total.

Comment

What ever happened with this thread?

Hello I was wondering if we could get an update. Are you happy with your combo? Thanks, Links_56.

Comment

6 Speed Fuller Trans swap

There just wasn't much interest on this forum. The guys over at Cummins Forum http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...ed-fuller.html really got into it---over 19,000 have view the thread

Lynn Byrd in SC installed a 10 Speed Fuller and used the original 12" clutch. Made some nice adapters. Will post his photos and "how to" info soon. Looks really nice and lots of gears !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Several swaps have been completed and all of us are very pleased with the change.

Comment

Originally posted by chansey View Post
          There just wasn't much interest on this forum...
          Over 3600 views, is not bad....especially when viewers here were directed to another site...a little more respect for this form is in order.

Comment

OOP's

Geez--no ofense intended................

I didn't mention that Lyn had married the 241DLD t-case to the 10 speed. He fab'd a tube with flanges to mate to the t-case and tranny with a fab'd male X female shaft. He also kept the 12" original clutch by fab'g an adapter plate to the output face of the tranny & installed the throw-out bearing guide to it.

After reviewing Lyn's work, I came up with a way of marrying the 241DLD to th FSO 6406 with stock parts and only one plate adapter. Lyn can make the shaft adapter from stock parts as well.

The big difference between the 10 speed and FSO adapter is that the rear bearing cover has the bearing in it and it sets the pre-load where as on the 10 speed it is not the case. If found a mid-80's bearing cover that had a face flange for installation of a driveline brake and using a mid-90's chevy steel auto-trans t-case adapter, all that is needed for the FSO is a plate to marry the two. The standard 38 tooth 4 bolt drive line flange can be machined and a pressed X weld plate can be added. The mating side is the same plate with a machined out shaft (21 tooth or 23 tooth) pressed and welded an with that, the t-case is married to the FSO Fuller.

Will be posting more pics soon.

Comment

How much does this transmission weigh?
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

How heavy is it ??

Here are some weight comparisons for the most common trannys;

The Fuller 10 Speed is 592 lbs

The Fuller FSO-6406 is 345 lbs

The Fuller FO-8406 is 365 lbs

The NV 5600 is 360 lbs

The clutch housing, hyd clutch actuator, clutch and misc will add another 120 lbs for the Fuller trannys above the original NV5600 . Even the difference for the 10 speed at 247 additional lbs is not a big deal considering what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by chansey View Post
                  Here are some weight comparisons for the most common trannys;

The Fuller 10 Speed is 592 lbs

The Fuller FSO-6406 is 345 lbs

The Fuller FO-8406 is 365 lbs

The NV 5600 is 360 lbs

The clutch housing, hyd clutch actuator, clutch and misc will add another 120 lbs for the Fuller trannys above the original NV5600 . Even the difference for the 10 speed at 247 additional lbs is not a big deal considering what you get.
                  Interesting.

A reason I ask is that the ball joints are not up to the task, and I worry about more weight.

Is the transmission you installed non-synchro? I gather you purchased a used one; how many miles?

Comment

Fuller Trans

New not used.

I purchased a NEW FO-8406 on EBAY for $152.00 that was advertised as an "Eaton Gear Reducer". The person selling it was a "lost freight" buyer that didn't know what it was !!!!!!!!!!!

It was a special fab for International with a 13 spline X 2" output (non-standard). It did not have the production tag on it and with the exception of the input shaft and counter gear, internals were the same as the FSO-8406. Installed new 1-3/4 output shaft, bearings and counter shaft gear for about $320. Not bad for a new box.

It is non-snchro. It is overdrive with standard shift.

Comment

So, it started out only 5 lbs heavier than the NV, not bad.

Comment

I am not sure how enthused I am to have a non-synchro transmission in what I grandly call my good truck. Meaning, nice truck.

Comment

Fuller Transfer case Adapter

The long awaited photos of the completed Fuller Transfer Case Adapter and Shaft are here.
                          The shaft assembly went very smoothly with no errors or make-overs--got it right the first time. The adapter and shaft were assembled and fitted to the transmission and it was like bolting off the shelf parts--everything fit with no binding, slop or use of a 10 lb adjustment tool.:doh::doh: The old saying still applies, measure twice and cut once.
                          I have $1,225 in this first "one-off" unit and includes purchased parts, materials and machine shop labor. This also included $127.42 in tooling hardware. A considerable amount of time was spent programming and verifying dims as we only had materials for one part.
                          The shaft was made from a DANA 38 tooth 7-1/2" companion flange cut to 3.50 and a broken portion of the NV5600 output shaft that was cut, press fitted and dowlled to a fabricated mating flange. The original nut used to hold the companion flange onto the Fuller output shaft is used to hold the shaft in a fixed position. Shaft will not move when assembled.
                          The NP241 T/C aligned and fully seated without any effort--couldn't ask for anything better.
                          I really had to breakdown and buy just one rattle can. I almost got into an arguement with myself about actually applying paint.:S::S::S:
                          If you want to view ALL of the photos, go to Transfer Case Adapter Assy pictures by sancobg - Photobucket
                          A very SPECIAL thanks to Richard Madrid for the machine shop work and for his ability to work from my hand drawn sketches and dims provided on the fly.

Assembled shaft

Bearing Retainer & Plate
                          [IMG][/IMG]
                          Assembled Adapter
                          [IMG][/IMG]
                          Adapter & Shaft ready for install

We can now actually claim, "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED".

Comment

Eaton/4WD adapter

Chancy,

I have been following your thread.

1. For the part on the output of the Eaton, could someone just turn up the steel from scratch and find someone w/ a 38 spline broach of the right pitch angle(Mark Williams in Louisville, CO has a 35 spline, both 60 and 90) that might be less expensive than turning down a companion flange?

2. In your px, do you have the male splines that fit in the TC cut on a shaper? What if you broached the corresponding spline inside the coupler and just used a 29 or whatever stub to fit both pieces; assuming that piece would be long enough?

3. I see you are using 6 bolts and one dowel pin to take the load, would it be just as convenient to thread one piece and use bolts only?

I live nearby Mark Williams, so would be glad to stop at his place.

I don't have an Eaton yet, just thinking ahead.

Comment

Working...
                            X