727 tranny issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 727 tranny issues

I have a question regarding the 727 automatic in my M880.

I noticed it seemed to be slipping some in 3rd lately. Now when I put it in reverse I can "feel" it go in but it doesn't move until I give it just a little gas and then it bangs into gear.

I know nothing about automatics. Does this point to any one issue or do I have multiple things going on here?

The truck has 9K on the odo so I assume the tranny has 109,000 miles on it. I just drained the fluid and adjusted the bands not too long ago.

Thanks,
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Same symptoms as mine. Made it about another 20K after it started. I have a rebuild waiting to be put in. I could really tell a difference between a cold and hot transmission. I will be adding a transmission cooler with the rebuild.

Comment

Did this began after you serviced it, or all along?
      1st & 2nd work normal I assume?
      Does it make any difference if you run it in Neutral for a bit before proceeding to drive it?

Bucky

Comment

It began shortly after I serviced it, which made me think I did something. But it was fine for a awhile although "awhile" isn't a lot since it's the farm truck and not driven a lot.
        It also has a bad leak at the shifter shaft so it's tough to keep the fluid at the right level.
        I was just wondering if the symptoms were indicative of low fluid, poor band adjustment or something failing? or is it just too vague?
        I have a doner with a cab I plan to swap, I can see how that tranny functions and maybe swap that too.
        Thanks
        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

If you have the proper gauges & a helper you can do some investigating for yourself. Older Chilton's/Hayne's manuals, or the Factory Service manual may show you where to connect & what the specs should be. Many times the specs for a passenger car are identical for truck.

Or a good transmission shop can diagnosis it for you.

I'm not very schooled in transmissions, but I have always heard that 727's are simple.

I will dig through some of my old books & see if anything pops out.

ramchargercentral.com is a good site for 70's Dodge trucks/vans.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
          X