Alex's '42 WC53 Carryall Build Details - Cummins ISB170

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex's '42 WC53 Carryall Build Details - Cummins ISB170

So, I've been getting lots of folks who are members of this forum but also members of a facebook group who are contacting me with questions about progress, details, etc on my Carryall. I mention that I fairly frequently post details in the WC53 Carryall thread in the WWII subforum but the common response is "I don't keep up with every update and its sometimes hard to differentiate between your project and the many others."

That being the case, and with no intention of stepping on anyone's toes, I would like to detail out and archive what I have done, where I am at, and where I am going as I finish this project. I am hoping folks like Dan and Kevin can chime in here as well to nudge me along with all of their wonderful skills and ideas as well. I have been keeping track of this project on a few other forums, however none of them have quite the following or understanding of whats going on quite like the members here do. I've also been either kicked off of, or shunned from other forums so I just let the thread die (except for WWII Dodge, I used to go in there and poke the bear to get the grouches fired up, mainly one guy in particular, and then leave).

So I am actually lucky enough to know the majority of the story behind the truck. It was originally stationed in San Diego, and was DRMO'd in 1946 with 126 miles on it. An Orange grove farmer in California bought it and owned it until his passing in 2000. He used the truck to travel to a small bar in town and accordingly the "truck knew its way too and from the bar better than he did himself!". In 2000, the truck was purchased by Chris Davis. I spoke with him a few years ago about the truck and was able to contact the family he purchased it from before his restoration.

Chris sold the truck in, I believe, 2001. At that point it went to Arizona where it was only owned for about 6 months before being sold to Lee, who I bought it from.

Lee moved the truck to Louisiana, pulled the original-ish drivetrain. He claims the motor was not original and that the transmission had some issues. He sold the original axles and put a set of 8 lug axles with 4.88 gears and ARB air lockers under the stock springs. He installed a mechanical 4bt and a 4L80E auto. He put the truck back together with a metal rear floor and had started to drive it to debug it and it was struck in the rear on the highway. It took him over a year to work out the details on the insurance and at that point felt as though he couldn't bear to work on the truck any further. At this point, I found him through a Youtube video and his posts back in the day on this forum and we worked a deal. I retrieved the truck from Louisiana, but just as a bare shell, and missing all front components except the hood as he was planning on building a WC56 next. He also kept his entire drivetrain, axles included, so I brought a set of stock axles with me to set the truck on since the springs and all were still the same. The 3 day trip with my wife and two friends was worth it as I now have the truck at my place in SE Virginia; all in all, the truck has had quite the displacement in the past 16 years.

I've done a fair amount to the truck so the next series of posts will be kind of a spitball, speedy update of what all has happened. If you have questions, I can go back and revisit for clarification. Unfortunately I do not have many of my parts or templates saved. That has been the most common question: How did you build XYZ? Can you send or sell me your template, drawing, dimensions?"

So as I bought the truck... Its been too long. May 2012.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

The first thing I did was push the rear of the body back out and build a new gate... from scratch.

Its not perfect but for having minimal sheet metal tooling or experience, it worked out fair.

Comment

Then decided for the suspension I was going to keep leafs in the rear, and go more modern ratios for the axles. I am running 4.56 Eatons. They look way more appropriate, and are much stronger than the Dana 60 or 14 bolt...

Caviat, the front I built as a hybrid between an Eaton HO and a Ford Dana 60 using F250 TTB SRW hubs.

Comment

Then I bought an engine and transmission..

Cummins ISB170 4 cyl, 3.9L common rail. Uses the same CP3 pump as the '03-'06 Common Rail 5.9s.

Transmission is an Industrial tuned, 5 speed Allison A1000 2wd.

That meant I needed a divorced case. No big deal.

I did, however, have to figure out the fuel system for this thing... Complicated.

Comment

Came up with the front steering and front suspension setup.

4 link. All numbers have been run through a dynamic suspension calculator to design for brake dive (anti-squat/dive), caster/ pinion change, and panhard/draglink geometry to prevent bump steer.

Front suspension at full compression and full steering turn.

Steering box is part of frame strut plates.

Comment

Ohh and the frame is boxed and the T-case is a divorced NP205

Comment

Lets see, misc stuff... Built my own 30 gallon 1/8" baffled AL fuel tank.

Full 3" Stainless exhaust.

Firewall setup with hydroboost unit and supports.

Comment

The mess of a floor trying to cover up that fat girl Allison.

Sliding seat and frame that I built.

Lets see...

I know I skimmed over lots of other things that go along with this build like the AC compressor mounts, the intercooler and custom radiator build.... FASS fuel pump system, etc.

As it sits currently. I'm getting back to work on it this weekend so I'll have more stuff to add but obviously its going to be a much slower feed now that you are caught up.

Comment

Working on the Column Lately

Been working on the steering column some lately.

Comment

And am using a different steering wheel. This is what happens when you wander through the back parts room of a JD / IH parts dealer. Random wheel off the wall that is smaller in diameter but looks similar to the original wheel and has a 3" diameter horn button opening. Parts guy said he "Thinks" its off an IH or JD log skidder from the '60s. My dad, who was a Deere dealer for 30 years also agrees that it "looks" the application. Has an aluminum hub and steel rod spoke frame internally so also sounds "Deere-ish" from the ones I've seen crack up. Its a repo so hopefully better plastic? Maybe.

Drilled it for (6) 10-24 Unbrako socket cap screws and made a hub that will get welded to the 3/4" shaft.

A while back I had found an old Dodge Brothers hood logo. Yes, I know this is far from correct for this truck, but there are some things I am trying to sneak into the build to "civilize" the military grade but not go too far out of bounds from the "utilitarian" aesthetic and feel of lets say, just post WWII.

Machined the button plastic and I have to finish it up to use some M37 horn button guts, springs, etc.

Comment

Virginia, you're closer than I thought. Maybe the two will meet some day after all!

(@mwcurrier)

Comment

Originally posted by Nor'Easter View Post
                        Virginia, you're closer than I thought. Maybe the two will meet some day after all!

(@mwcurrier)
                        Heck yea man! Have us our own little East Coast PW Rally.

So to finish off the column and horn button, I machined down an M37 cap to fit inside of my horn button that I made.

TIG'd the flange hub onto the steering shaft that I had splined.

I then gun drilled the end of the shaft and then at a 45 degree created an exit hole for the wire out of the steering shaft.

Comment

The wheel bolts to the hub with 6 socket cap screws that are counterbored into the wheel. The brass nut in this picture just retains the copper cam plate for the button retainment. I plan on cutting a small tab and bending it up against one of the nut shoulders so that it will be "staked" against the nut. That way worst case if the plate slips under the nut, I can unthread the cap to get it off to get the wheel off.

The final product looks fairly original.

I also got the Borgeson slip shaft assembled.

Comment

I also started working on my kick panels and the mount for my wiring system assembly. I needed to support the master control box for the CANbus computer.

Also got the passenger's side kick panel knocked out.

Comment

After getting laughed at on the phone by a major aftermarket shifter manufacturer when I asked about using the 4L80E shifter on my Allison; and instead of machining my own shifter mechanism, I decided to make some aesthetic sacrifices and buy something that was actually intended to work with the Allison. I've tried to make that work as best as possible given its overall size and OE App of being in a School bus; however,the Allison just takes up all of the room in this small cab. I am still essentially working with a FFPW cab up front, but with just a touch more room to slide the seats back. To mount the shifter with enough room for the cables to move, I had to create a riser box and in doing so I created some void space. This void spaced needed to be filled but blocked myself out of having room for the T-case linkage handle, at least in an ergonomic fashion. My attempt at a viable and aesthetic solution is best explained in photos.

I wanted air on the truck for the sake of adjusting the rear Gabriels, airing up tires at the beach (this is still my surf wagon afterall), and other misc things. That being said, I figured an Air Shift T-case is a plausible feature for sake of linkage and well... its kinda cool too. And very mil-spec.

So, onboard air system is in the works. Will control my NP205 shift system using double acting rams that I already have. The front and rear shift rails are split this way and the air valves are 3 position toggles. There is a very useful thread on this forum about building an air shifting NP205 and I've used it for picking out my parts and pieces. The other two toggles are OD On/off, and Cruise set/accel over cancel/decel... Gotta love that CAN system already!

^^ I also have plans for that rear opening I cut into the shifter box. Figure some charging ports and such.

Comment

Working...
                              X