No announcement yet.

TIG welder decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are VERY nice welds Kevin! Yea it seems that prep work for the weld is the biggest factor in the final look of the weld along with the strength. Last night where this guys parts fit up well, the stick weld looked like a MIG bead, but at the poor fit-up it was much less attractive.

That log splitter project is AMAZING work! You have outstanding machine design comprehension that is very hard to find in people anymore. I am friends with quite a few mechanical engineers and unless they can draw it in autocad and run a computer model on the part 400 times and keep guessing at numbers, they could never put together something as simple yet complex as that machine. The sleeved pins, and the plated slides, etc. You've spent quite some time around heavy working machinery thats for sure! Minds like yours are a rare commodity in this day and age.
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

It's a product of real world "engineering". That equates to fixing stuff that was designed by engineers and being able to see the weak points BEFORE they even break. I'm overkill on stuff I build but take the time and do it once, correctly, comes into play. Too many years on the farm is to blame I guess! I'm pretty old school with designing things. Roll ideas around in my head and make cardboard patterns. Plasma cutter makes it nice to do but I used a regular torch for years and still do on some things. If I would listen to all the people who told me 'you can't do that' I'd be where they are, dreaming.

I still have yet to try aluminum with my TIG so I may pick your brain with that if I decide to try. I do a lot of stainless with mine but I know it's a LOT different than that.

Thanks for the kind words too. I get a kick out of people when they see the splitter and actually think Caterpillar made it. Even better when they say a friend has one of them, that always brings a smile.

I put a Thumbstat on my TIG instead of the standard foot pedal control. A friend told me to do that I and like it a lot better, especially when working on something that is not being welded at a bench or table. Not standing on one foot that way and I get nicer welds. All in what you get used to but I prefer it now.

Comment

Kevin makes large, functional jewelry.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin in Ohio View Post
          I still have yet to try aluminum with my TIG so I may pick your brain with that if I decide to try. I do a lot of stainless with mine but I know it's a LOT different than that.

I put a Thumbstat on my TIG instead of the standard foot pedal control. A friend told me to do that I and like it a lot better, especially when working on something that is not being welded at a bench or table. Not standing on one foot that way and I get nicer welds. All in what you get used to but I prefer it now.
          Feel free to pick away. I'm learning through mistakes so I its a pretty quick learning curve.

I want the finger control for mine, but lately all I've been doing is bench type work. I use the MIG for all my overhead type work. I have a feeling that I'll roll a trade for some side work at a friend's shop that needs some TIG and in payment have him order me the finger control for my machine. Is yours ramping or just momentary switching?
          1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post
            Feel free to pick away. I'm learning through mistakes so I its a pretty quick learning curve.

I want the finger control for mine, but lately all I've been doing is bench type work. I use the MIG for all my overhead type work. I have a feeling that I'll roll a trade for some side work at a friend's shop that needs some TIG and in payment have him order me the finger control for my machine. Is yours ramping or just momentary switching?

It is the dial type that lets you ramp up from zero to your upper limit that you set on the machine. They had a slide as well but the guy that was guiding me said the dial was better so I went with that. He was a lifelong welder and owned a company that made high end brewery equipment.

I sold my foot pedal on ebay and it was mint without a scratch. It nearly paid for the thumbstat itself.

I'd also suggest a REAL leather cover for your hoses and leads. The plastic ones Miller provides are about useless if a molten ball hits it. leads are EXPENSIVE and not worth the risk. I sold that to to help for the upgrade.

Comment

Working...
            X