Scotch Blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotch Blocks

There is some great info on the PW Forum showing the design and use of ground anchors and scotch blocks/anchors when winching. Scotch blocks are basically wheel chocks with chain that attaches to the bumper and anchors the truck. I found scotch blocks on line at AWDirect, but they are really pricey. A buddy of mine works for Jefferds Corp repairing forklifts. They sell several styles of wheel chocks. We ordered a pair of steel chocks and will weld a length of chain to attach to the front tow hooks. I'll post a picture of the finished product and report results.

scotch blocks

Thats good that you found something more suited to your budget, however, the reason commercially made scotch blocks (Holmes, JerrDann, AW, etc) are so expensive is that they are made of high test components rated for many times the load they should be put to. Be sure to use a grade 80 or 90 chain and ALWAYS! set your mechanical brake and hydraulic (if you have one ..MICO or equiv ) when winching, if a chain breaks on the scotch block the winching vehicle can suddenly jerk forward or sideways! So please remember to stay in the cab at the controls ready to disconnect the winch if a problem arises and be sure no one is near your truck! Safety only takes a second, injuries can take a lifetime. Personally, I only use commercially made items and in 30 years have only had one chain break on a scotch block! It was quite a thrill to have my 10,000 lb W300 wrecker lurch sideways in a split second!! I couldnt let go of the wrecker control fast enough! Be safe.

Comment

Working...
    X