No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outstanding work Alex, I am truly impressed.

Comment

• So what is that emblem from? Love it!
      Kick panel picture here....if that helps for a start.
      http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...=5521&page=159

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
        Outstanding work Alex, I am truly impressed.
        Thank ya sir! Don't be impressed just yet; there are still some mechanical details needed to finish up attaching all of this mess to the custom column I am building.

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
        So what is that emblem from? Love it!
        Kick panel picture here....if that helps for a start.
        http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...=5521&page=159
        Thank ya for the link sir! I tried my hand at the kick panel yesterday but was interrupted by going to help my wife with a photo shoot... holding the light and driving around two pretty girls, was a terrible afternoon.. ha ha. I'll get a picture of the kick panel this afternoon. In the mean time I'll save the spot with my scheezy behind the scenes picture.

As for Emblem original source, not the slightest clue. A kid I know in Instagram lives in the NW Oregon and goes through all these cool old junkyards and collects emblems from vehicles that are too far gone. He likes my Carryall build so I was able to get him to part with this really nice one. He is on the hunt for some old "Cummins Oil Engine" logos for me currently.

I just looked and there are several on Epay in fair to decent condition, the one I ended up is near mint condition somehow. And for next to nothing $.
        1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Got some more work done on the column, button works great!

This is the main shaft, that I single point threaded on the lathe after TIG welding the flange on and then I drilled it a ways down to run the button wire through.

Comment

• I also used Bruce's kick panel as inspiration and made one that supports my MasterCell for the CANBus wiring.

I over-drove two of the rivets.. ugh. Oh well.

Comment

• WOW that is beautiful work

Cummins oil engine emblem- you are serious? I see a hat pin and a fake tin sign but no old Cummins emblem. I have been looking too.
              Edit: Drove my truck 200 miles today. Turns out the rear pattern on my dana 70 is fine, not only that I have Dana gears. Guy was surprised in a good way " these are Danas!" Seems most folks go after market for the price and miss out on quality.

take care
              Nice to hear from you folks

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                Cummins oil engine emblem- you are serious? I see a hat pin and a fake tin sign but no old Cummins emblem. I have been looking too.
                Edit: Drove my truck 200 miles today. Turns out the rear pattern on my dana 70 is fine, not only that I have Dana gears. Guy was surprised in a good way " these are Danas!" Seems most folks go after market for the price and miss out on quality.

take care
                Nice to hear from you folks
                The Cummins oil engine emblem is not on Epay currently, just a number of the DB logos. I've been searching far and wide for the Cummins emblem and they are few and far between and people know what they have usually. I may just have to get it painted on the truck or something; I've got a good pinstriper buddy who does really nice free hand work. Dana brand gears are the nice nice stuff for sure! They didn't offer much in the way for deep gears except for the Dana 70s which they cut a 6.17 for those that went into forest equipment and Ditch Witch machines and also a 7.17 can be found with a Detroit Locker installed in the rear of the Dodge Aircraft Tug trucks.

I got a little more done on mine today...
                Got the column shaft installed, all Borgeson parts, new, not junkyard crap like some people were trying to talk me into, (not here, but on another forum) even though an Astro Van steering shaft would have been easily and cheaply adapted to work, just FYI.

And passenger's side kick panel mirrored mostly of the driver's but instead of the Master Cell, just a kicked over guard to cover the sound deadening when its put in. Ofcourse, the aircraft holes because.. well if you're sticking your head up there, needs to be something to look at.

Comment

• daughter- marriage- Carryall.

My daughter is getting married this weekend. To get to the wedding location means about 150 miles of driving and then there is the trip back. I get to do it in the Carryall. She wants to arrive at the church, disposal, dump, giveaway site in the Carryall. Has the girl got class or what? She turned down a free ride in a stretch limo and although my shiny hot rod could have been tuned up she wanted to ride in "the tank" I am out there vacuuming away and wiping down the odd thing. Getting her in and out of the truck in a clean wedding dress is going to be a challenge. I am also thinking about what tools to take to render it inoperable while it is in the hotel parking lot. pulling the drive shaft out of the front and disconnecting the rear might be a bit overboard but I am considering it anyway.

Bruce

What colour ear plugs go with a white wedding dress?

Comment

I am also thinking about what tools to take to render it inoperable while it is in the hotel parking lot. pulling the drive shaft out of the front and disconnecting the rear might be a bit overboard but I am considering it anyway.

Bruce

What colour ear plugs go with a white wedding dress?
                    Congratulations to both of you!

As far as rendering it inoperable, why not just pull the fuse for the fuel solenoid, or disconnect it or similar. Worse case you'd end up with a dead battery as they tried to get it started. Or remove the shifter handle, won't get far stuck in first gear or reverse.

IMO the answer is whatever matches her wedding colors and/or the bridesmaid's dresses.

That's one of the reasons I keep the Desoto around, my parents used it in their wedding, some day I might get to use it in mine, but it needs some TLC first, too much time on the Power Wagon, which is getting new shoes this weekend.

Comment

• That worked out ok.

Three hundred miles of driving and the biggest issue was on the way to pick up my daughter I drove over some bumps in the road and the horn button popped off, which was followed by the horn bleating away. I disconnected the wire while still driving and that was it for issues with the truck. Kind of funny that it happened on the only leg where the truck had to get to a location on time. Had two professional photographers shooting pictures of her in the truck while she was wearing a wedding dress. Neat thing is she got in and out of the truck while wearing high heels and did not have any issues. Even better I looked over and the seat belt was attached. " heh I am not going anywhere without my seat belt on"
                      The one issue I am having a hard time with is the transition between 2nd and 3rd. Some times there is a clunk, sometimes the shift is smooth and clunk free.
                      I am darn sure it is axle wrap. I have to order a turbo flange V clamp and a gasket before I drop the new WHX30 Holset in place. Will let you know how that works out. The lift pump will also get replaced, one place on 4BTswaps says the lift pump for the 89 - 93 Dodge 6BT is the same as the 4BT, other folks think the pumps are different. My local parts spot sure will not have a clue how to order a high pressure pump from a low pressure pump.
                      Off to SAR practice
                      Bruce

Comment

• Every now and again, I rumage the Google search for images of Carryalls, mostly hoping for new versions of historic images to appear. Saw this one someone had already snagged and posted on Flickr.

Comment

• OMG that is hillarious

I am sitting here having a laugh. No clue when that picture was taken but it was in the last two weeks. The Carryall is parked either in front of the Old Car Centre or the Metal Super Market in Langley B.C.. Both businesses are side by side in the same complex. Really does not look too bad, but I think it would look better with some more military looking wheels. Sure is getting tough to find a decent 40 inch tire that will fit a 16" rim.
                          Alex you may have a better clue than me, any idea if the 89-93 Dodge Cummins 6BT lift pump is the same one used on the 4BT? I need to change my pump soon.

thanks for that

Bruce

any progress on yours? Those kick panels are quite nice. I am waiting to see your louvered, beaded battery box.

edit : here is a carryall for sale in Britain, no quote on the price.
                          http://www.milweb.net/webvert/a1892

Comment

• Funny as I really like the wheels you are running now. :)

Comment

• Paint

Bruce,
                              I really like the way your truck looks. Please don't listen to someone if they try to suggest you paint it. You are of course free to do what you want with it, but you can't spray on the kind look you have now. It's like the difference between a newly planted park and one that has the time for the plants to come to maturity. I wish mine had that kind of look.
                              David

Comment

I am sitting here having a laugh. No clue when that picture was taken but it was in the last two weeks. The Carryall is parked either in front of the Old Car Centre or the Metal Super Market in Langley B.C.. Both businesses are side by side in the same complex. Really does not look too bad, but I think it would look better with some more military looking wheels. Sure is getting tough to find a decent 40 inch tire that will fit a 16" rim.
                                Alex you may have a better clue than me, any idea if the 89-93 Dodge Cummins 6BT lift pump is the same one used on the 4BT? I need to change my pump soon.

thanks for that

Bruce

any progress on yours? Those kick panels are quite nice. I am waiting to see your louvered, beaded battery box.
                                I am already trying to think of a license plate that tells year and info on the truck, and possibly even making some form of card or something I can just hand to people when I really need to get out of somewhere but they are busy taking pictures and asking questions.

When it comes to the mechanical 4bt and 6bt stuff, I am of no real help. I can ask my dad as we had a few different variants in equipment / cranes/ skidders when we had the John Deere Dealership, however that was 15 years ago now.

I figure that once my XMLs are worn out, I'll be in the market for new wheels and tires. The Conti MPTs look nice but are even heavier and harder than the michelins. Ive also talked to a guy who ran a set of BFG Krawler KXs on some 20" aftermarket Hutchinsons and he said they drove great but didn't last for mileage as they are a competition rock tire. I'm going to go out of my way to balance my Michelins and keep the rotated as well just to keep them around as long as I can. Knock on wood, but mine appear to have zero dry rot in them.

In regards to mine, I am still just chugging away. Parts are still trickling in. I had to make some design changes for my shifters due to space constraints. I decided it would be cleaner and more ergonomic to just build a riser for my automatic shifter and then incorporate my 4wd controls and rear air shock/bag controls into it as well. So heres the conceptual work on that. The Boost/EGT combo gauge is all that has showed up so far for my gauges. Just went with a simple speed hut set. Unfortunately my Cummins engine is just a touch too old that the CAN system changed and doesn't work with the CANBus enabled gauges that they currently make.

I'm going to put some 12V charger stuff on the lower access panel in front of the seat as I found some flip cover amphenol ports. I ordered an air pressure gauge to put in the center portion as well to monitor the on board air system. I am going to splurge and buy the big ARB compressor and install a large tank under the truck so that I can run blips of air tools and fill these giant tires when coming back off the beach since thats where I plan to take this thing quite often. Tow my wife's 1968 Airstream to the beach campground, throw the boards on the roof and spend days on the beaches with the truck locked in 4 wheel drive.

EDIT: Something else I've just decided. I am discontinuing updates on other forums of what I am building. People just don't get it. This forum appears to be the only open minded group left that has even the slightest sense of what I am doing. And... after all, I am doing this for me, everyone else be dam*ed what they think of the project.

Comment

Working...
                                X