2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

• Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
        gyman98, that Crew Cab is Beautiful!
        Thanks Watson!

Sorry Bruce, was just trying to show the kind of things I like to build

Comment

• Speedhut power wagon speedometer

Ok gyman98 this is what I am talking about . That Power Wagon gauge is really cool. So fill us in. What does it do? How does it work? What about the graphics? And what did it cost? Also is the white plate covering up some brushed or engine turned stainless backing plate or is it a template? Fill us in and show us more, cause in my book that is Carryall related.

I thought I would have a bunch of updates but a ton of work has arrived AND the darn paint is still tacky. You know those yellow post it notes? You know the story behind those notes? You know the sticky stuff stays sticky for year and years and years ?
          I think I created some of that same sticky stuff in my paint gun and applied it to some parts.

Bruce

Comment

• The speedometer is GPS activated and run by a module in the fender. It can be hooked up two ways. The first is about 5 secs after you start moving, the speedo starts displaying speed. The other way is hooking up a extra always hot power wire like a radio/head unit. The speedo reacts immediately. It tracks total miles on the odometer and also 3 trips. It will also do 0-60, 1/4 mile ET and speed. I designed these gauges through speed hut, it has turn signals and bright indicators built in. I also put the fuel gauge into the speedo.

The white is just the cardboard shipping container. I will use the holes from the carb board on a piece of brushed stainless. I'm a industrial/commercial carpenter and have lots of kick/mop plates sitting around. One will be repurposed for this. I believe the speedo, pyro, boost, volts, oil psi and fuel gauge were about $900 with senders. All gauges were built with idiot lights that are programable for high and low limits

Comment

• I really like those gauges, I will check out the Speedhut website.

Comment

• I just looked into their site as well.. Looks like they will really work with you to get your the product you want. The GPS idea is pretty cool for resto mods too, and in my case with my Common Rail / Allison combo I won't be having to steal signal from it and get it converted. Not to mention they are pretty affordable it seems. I wonder how the post install customer service is in the event there is a down the road problem...

Thanks for sharing this info as I had never heard of them!
                1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• I did some research on them beforehand and it sounds like their after sales report is excellent. I have no personal experience however. On my rig the speedo signal comes from a sender in the 205 transfer case. This saves me worrying about adapting the signal and trying to tune in accuracy.

Here's something else for you guys, they run H4 halogens with signals in the bottom. Saves mounting extra lights somewhere to comply

Comment

• I have known about them for years - what I have heard

Some folks love the Speedhut units because they are very accurate at slow speeds. You can custom create your own face with colour and font. Installation is reported to be dead easy.The only reason I went for the old style unit was because their bezel does not match the rest of my gauges and i am thinking that was not enough of a reason to not just go ahead and use the unit.
                    Once my truck is on the road I will see how the old style unit works. If I am not happy, the speed hut unit will go in.
                    The only thing is I want lower KMs, 0 to 120, I did not see that unit the last time I looked.
                    The reason I asked gyman is because we need other folks experience. This adds to our knowledge and saves us time. I have no experience with the unit. In my book that experience counts for a lot.

thanks for the input
                    I am now more smarter

Comment

• Originally posted by gyman98 View Post
                      Here's something else for you guys, they run H4 halogens with signals in the bottom.
                      They are a great light. I bought mine from Street Rod Headquarters (Item # AUT6001C). A slight modification to the inner light bucket to accomidate the lower light wiring was all it took.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                      Will
                      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

• Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
                        They are a great light. I bought mine from Street Rod Headquarters (Item # AUT6001C). A slight modification to the inner light bucket to accomidate the lower light wiring was all it took.
                        It was your post about a year or so ago that directed me to those lights. Thanks again!

Comment

• May not be able to spend any money on parts but doesn't mean I have to stop working until its time to move!

Boxing the frame for chassis rigidity. Will be adding an additional crossmember over the rear axle as a shock mount / fuel tank support.

Any welds to the frame are being done with a TIG using Monel blended Copper Nickel filler rod designed for dissimilar metals; combined with the fact that the welds are not full length but rather 70/30 bead to no bead ratio... I should be rather fatigue crack free for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• Hot rolled or cold rolled?

So how come you did not use a die and form rolls on the edges of all those round holes? They look cool but I was forced to go your route because getting the dies up in Canuck land is problematic. I am under the impression you can drop by your local hardware store and buy pretty much everything you need to build anything you wish. Guess that impression is a tad off.
                            Looking good Alex.
                            I will show some pictures of how to eliminate one source of squeaks, as soon as I get a few moments in the shop.

edit - good choice on welding rod, I used to use triple killed for some applications.

Comment

• Bruce, Its hot rolled 3/16". Cold rolled is nearly impossible for me to get locally in any form or size thicker than 16 ga. 3/16" is also a touch too big for the dimple dies to work, plus I don't own any... yet. I know you've mentioned problems with pitting in Mill Scale. Im planning to have this whole thing dipped and coated when its all said and done.

Comment

• Another Carryall turns up

Rhode island craigslist. Turned into a flat bed. $1500, excuse me while I cry.
                                Looks like the builder used the rear of the Carryall to create the back of the cab. Be funny if the lower tailgate was in still there and intact.
                                You never know what you will get with one of these trucks, some have rare parts and some are pretty much stripped.

link to ad http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/4400336489.html
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X