X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very shiny!
    I like them with semi gloss paint also!

Comment

Ran into an interesting challenge removing the rear springs. No Bolts to remove, just pins. I tried searching the internet but couldn't find any information. Fortunately the zirk fitting is a 3/8-24 thread. I made a puller with a bolt, washer, nut, and short piece of 1.5" tubing, and voila! I will get some allthread so I can use a 2" long tube and pull the pin with one setup.
      Do any of you have any info on removal and installation?
      Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

That's pretty much the normal method of removal. Some use a slide hammer vice a puller assembly, but the end result is the same. The pins must be in decent shape though as usually they'll develop a ridge along one side that will tend to get stuck and hold them in place. I ended up cutting one of mine off after stripping out the threads and killing myself trying to pull it.

Comment

I was able to remove all suspension pins without issue. They all look to be in good condition. I took the springs to a spring shop for a complete rebuild. They told me the rears had been done in the past and not very well.

Comment

Transmission

The transmission didn't like to downshift into 2nd. Upon teardown, the syncro teeth are a bit worn and the main shaft has some wear marks. Everything else looks to be in good shape. I will replace both along with the usual bearings and seals/gaskets.
            Attached Files

Comment

John, what year is the red restored truck, and how long ago was it sold ?

Comment

I also have a NOS tail gate if you want to repaint the dodge lettering as original, the restored truck wasn't painted there.

Comment

Originally posted by preaction View Post
                  John, what year is the red restored truck, and how long ago was it sold ?
                  It is a 1952 and was sold for $99,000 in January of 2014 I believe.
                  Here is the link to that truck.
                  http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archi...-PICKUP-161840
                  Attached Files

Comment

Frame Twist

I have my frame sand blasted. I have checked and it is square but it does have a slight twist to it (about 2"). I think this resulted because my left front spring eye was broken and the spring end was just sitting on the frame. I don't think this will be an issue because it only takes one person standing on it to twist it back in line with the other side. I would like input from the experts here though before I paint the frame.
                    Thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ready to start assembly

I picked up my engine from H&H Flatheads in La Crescenta yesterday. It is beautiful. New pistons, rings, valves, bearings, etc. Rebuilt clutch and distributor. Silver was the original color so it was painted silver.
                      All of the original head bolts were used for authenticity. I now have all the pieces to start reassembly of the rolling chassis.
                      Attached Files

Comment

There was absolutely no rot on this frame. I am very fortunate.
                        I had the frame powdercoated satin black over a zinc powdercoat.
                        I masked the frame serial number because I was concerned about the thickness covering up the numbers.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I bought 5 new 9.00x16 non directionals and mounted them on powdercoated wheels.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Both axes have been disassembled, powdercoated housing, and rebuilt.
                            Springs are rebuilt, I just need to get the small details like shackles powdercoated to start reassembly.
                            Transmission and Transfer Case are also rebuilt waiting.
                            I plan to have rolling chassis by June.
                            Wish me luck.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Assembly Has Begun

I got the suspension details back from powdercoat this week and started reassembly with the rear springs. I had to clear out the powdercoate from inside of the shackles and frame brackets using a .750 reamer.
                              It is very gratifying to begin this process after so long. I am trying to use as many of the bolts as possible as they have the DPCD logo in the head. I will use new nuts and lock washers. I used a wire wheel to remove surface gunk and rust and they look great.
                              I found out that someone had replaced the front left shackles with different one.
                              They have a larger pin, are a bit shorter hole to hole, and both are straight. This was the same side that had the rear spring eye broken off and the spring was just stuck into the bracket. I know now why the truck had a slightly lower left side. I ordered two new shackles and three bolts from Vintage Power Wagons today so i need to wait till next week to install the front springs.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Are These Bed Brackets Stock?

I'm starting to put the brackets back on the frame and am unsure of these.
                                These bed brackets don't look stock. They are made from large angle stock. Can anyone verify if these are stock and if so, what purpose they serve?
                                Thanks
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X