Paint type for axles on FFPW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint type for axles on FFPW

Cleaning up my axles and looking for good spray paint in a can to use on the axles. Thinking of using rustoleum but I am open to suggestions. Any one have good luck with any other Types? Any opinion on brush or spray paint?

I used Rust Bullet, and applied it with a foam brush. It turned out very nicely. Not show quality, but that's not my objective. I have also heard positive things about Rust-Oleum Professional High Performance Enamel paints. Chassis Saver is another popular option. I have no experience with it, but those who have used it seem happy. There is, of course, POR-15. It is highly regarded, moderately expensive, and has many satisfied users, and some detractors. As with all of these coatings, preparation is the key; the cleaner and grease-free the differential housings can be, the better the results. On items that have not been sandblasted, I have used Picklex-20. It is a rust stabilizer. I have had excellent result with it. Overall, the choice is yours. So, too, is the price you are willing to pay. For what it is worth, the most affordable paints I have used have been the Rust-Oleum products. They probably won't hold up as long as the more expensive paints, but to date they look every bit as good as the coatings that cost three times the price.
    John

Comment

I used Rustoleum Professional Flat Black. Makes touch ups very easy. Good quality paint too.

Comment

I did spray my axles and frame with the Eastwood 2K ceramic chassis black which does require a spray gun application over an epoxy primer, however I believe they now have spray cans of the stuff too. Like all epoxies they have a pot life once you "start" the can, but while it hasn't been out on the road yet they have been sitting outside in the weather for at least a year or two now and still look great.

I have done touch-ups in areas I've had to drill or damaged with the extreme chassis black and again it's held up so far, it is a bit of a slow curing process though.

Comment

Working...
        X