Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the site and some questions

Hey all, new guy here..

I guess I've always liked old trucks, been dreamin about restoring an old vehicle so a great old dodge truck would be a cool vehicle to restore says I. Grandad was even lifelong Chrysler employee, through WWII. Besides being a little tight on space and tools I've wrenched on about anything that moves at one time or another, got some spare cash saved up... I've been poking around looking for a couple of months...

So here I am, lookin to buy and looking for help...

I have found a few likely project trucks some WC's or maybe even an M37. So first things first.. what's the best way to get an old truck that likely can't run and has 4 flats from someplace like California or Florida... to Texas...?

Do normal car haulers deal with things like that? How much does it generally run? Does anyone rent trucks and trailers? My 4-runner is a bit light for the job of towing a trailer with a 5-6klb vehicle on it, not that it would stop me trying if it came down to it.

Welcome to the site!
    Which truck to start with will most likely spark an argument here...ha!ha!
    Most affordable would probably be a M37, but the prices are rising daily on all types, it seems.
    I find a bit of irony in your post as many CA guys travel to Texas looking for trucks....= )

You're correct about undersized rigs for towing. Many here have posted warnings and a few here have talked about ignoring that advice, and have posted photos of the accident....

There are a few folks here who either haul or have leads on good reputable haulers.

Comment

Welcome, J/MAC! I agree with you and Norm: living in CA, how come all the killer deals I find are in FLA??!

Hot tip to aid you in your search: Gordon Maney our Zookeeper around here also publishes the 'Power Wagon Advertiser' magazine. It's regularly filled with great articles, how to's, insightful think pieces and huge doses of real folks! In the back section, maybe 1/4 of the mag, there's an extensive Classifieds section with all manner and type of Dodge trucks and parts offered for sale. I find that as a general rule the asking prices are what I call 'Real World' and not shoot for the moon E-bay insanity. Also the sellers are usually 'Dodge guys' active in the hobby.

Click on the icon in the upper right hand corner of this page and subscribe. You'll NEVER REGRET IT!

JimmieD

Comment

Well I've seen a few trucks in Texas for sale, but folks seem to want too much for em so I've been looking a little wider. A truck here in north Texas wouldn't be a problem for me.

I could probably get a truck and trailer borrowed from family, but I would think it would cost at least a grand to drive out to Florida or Cali or somewhere and back with a truck, and I wouldn't think most car carriers would be too keen on dragging an old truck out of the bushes in Mayberry RFD.

Would be nice to have a few companies names that would though if I run into something I like that isn't close by..

Comment

Hi jmacqueen:

Good sound advice so far, so let me maybe change that. HA! 1st of all, where the heck are ya, FL or TX? Lesson's learned the hard way & NEVER to be forgotten. Personally inspect the vehicle ya want to get. If you can't, have someone ya know or trust do it. There are Bonded services that do that out there. MAKE SURE ALL paperwork is in order BEFORE cash trades hands. Doing that eliminates MOST surprises. Most of the folk around here ARE honest, decent folk, but even they may not be aware of all issues.

Transportation. Have ya ever towed a heavy load? It can be done, but safety is JOB 1. You NEED a rig that can tow the weight, and a trailer that can haul the weight. Ain't nothing worse than watchin your trailer pass you on the road. I can't print the 1st thought that crosses your mind when that happens. ;>)

There are plenty of good transportation company's out there. Some even specialize in haulin old vehicles. Cost is a good question. I can't say now with any accuracy as fuel costs dictate prices now, and they are fluctuating to much, so you'll have to call & compare. The price may change from when ya okay it to when ya get it due to that reason.

What to get. Well bro, that's ENTIRELY up to you. What are your tastes. To me, it's WW II military vehicles only. However, I also have a softspot for M37's. Costs for old iron is CONSTANTLY going up. You can still find a $500.00 fixer upper, but it'll cost ya a whole lot to do it right. Finding old iron in a farmers field can still happen, but most of them old farmers are pretty shrewd & KNOW what they got. It's kinda like getting a WW II Jeep in a crate for $50.00.

Good Luck
          Ugg

Comment

Uggs post and your comments that Texas trucks seem to priced high made me think (yes I do that occasionally).
            Most of the trucks in Texas are less expensive, apples to apples, than CA trucks.
            A truck found in CA or FL would have to be at LEAST $3,000 cheaper in order to equal out the transportation cost.
            In other words, if you find a truck in Texas that you can go look at and haul home for $6,000, you'll be way ahead of a truck you find in CA for $4,000, can't go look at, and pay $2,500 to ship to you......

Comment

I'm in Texas, North Texas to be exact.

I've pulled heavy loads, and driven trucks from 4 to 10 to 18 wheels, not an issue there. As for a truck I could probably swap out with my Dad's truck he hauls a 45' RV around with and borrow one of my uncles flatbeds if I had to.

I've been seeing trucks I might be interested in mainly west of here, WY, CO, AZ, and some in AR, OK, and a couple in LA even a few in OH and MI but a couple have sparked interest farther than that, as well.

I'm looking for something with a decent enough body mainly, decent price, that is mostly there. Definitely WWII or an M37 is what I've been looking for, and it seems I'll probably end up with an M-37, more of em around it seems and probably a good first truck to rebuild. I expect to pay not less than $2500 for a decent truck, maybe 5-6 grand or more for one if it's worth it and would save me money restoring. I intend to spend more than that on it after I buy it.

I plan to rebuild whatever I get to like new mechanically, axles, springs, bushings, bearings, tranny/transfer, engine all back to spec or better.

Just trying to get handle on cost or even if it's possible to get one back to Texas from a a distance outside of me taking off work and going to get it.

I'm thinking along the same lines you are Mopar, I was just adding in $1000 as my cost factor to add on, but $3000 might be a more appropriate cost to figure in, especially if that's about what a hauler would charge for a haul like that. That probably makes more sense.

As for paperwork, anything I get will have to be seen, titled, and title transferred at sale. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. :)

I do a lot of motorcycles, 6 in my garage at the moment I have to start thinning out, shipping them is easy though as I can just air mail motorcycles cross country in a little container for around $500. I did it once just for a vacation, shipped my bike and me up to Buffalo NY and rode over to Boston and down through the outer banks and back to Texas.

Just spent a week this spring riding an offroad motorcycle around the Az back country camping etc. A nice tour of the countryside I really enjoyed, I'd like to have an old truck capable of doing that in as well as I'm getting to 50 I'm getting a little old for the two wheel off road camping trip runs, at least my knees are anyway. :)

There are a couple trucks around closer I might start making offers on in a month or so if they are still for sale and see if they will come down off their price. I think I'll go ahead and subscribe here as well and see what comes up in the classifieds but I figured prices would be high in the classifieds here.

I've looked at a few M37's I like here in Texas, but it seems they want 3-4k more than I think they are worth, judging by what the top prices for really well restored ones seem to fetch, and what would need to be done to these to get them to that level.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Lot Of Guys

Well maybe not a lot of 'em, but Sid Beck, ACE Supply is in Raisin,Texas, near Fredricksburg & then there's Paul Cook from/of the Texas Power Wagon Museum, can't remember where Paul is, help a (old) guy out, wouldja' Norm?

BTW, Horseless Carriage Carriers, Inc. Never used 'em, never heard anything bad either!
                www.horselesscarriage.com
                they are East Coast, New Jersey I believe? 800-631-7796

Comment

Paul is in Kempner Texas, his yard looks something like this, or looks exactly like this.....= )

Paul's back, Triple A's front and some clown from CA in a Jeep hat....= )

Comment

Hummm

Jeep Hat = Mopar Norm!
                    J/Mac, I spent a very informative 6 months in Amarillo, TX, hated most all of it, but that was then, been back for a couple o' visits and had a grand time. If you need contact info for either person, let us know, we'll point you in the right direction. Have you ever run into a person by the name of Jeff Chester, he's a big dodger somewhere in the Great State O' Texas?
                    TTYL,

Comment

Some more thoughts here, JMac: You have bikes. Find a truck in excellent running condition, ride a bike to it, throw the bike in the back and drive it all home!? Surely an interesting vacation.....?

Another thought, guys are often able to get someone else on the forums, in the area that the potential buy is, to look at it in person and appraise it. Only fair of course to offer to catch expenses. But just as well, sometimes another guy or gal on the forum is able to pick one up and haul to you, a LOT cheaper than a freight hauler. There's far more to these forums than chit-chat and tech swapping.

BTW: "I'm in Texas, North Texas to be exact." To be exact, huh? JMac, Texas is 268,501 square miles, man. Exact? Ha haha!

Comment

Bruce, Amarillo eh? Not my favorite part of the state, but I think it's closer to what some folks think Texas is like. I prefer the hill country around Austin and SA. Too bad I'm stuck in the Dallas Area... I'm a native born in Austin, raised around Houston/Beaumont mostly.

I haven't run into a Jeff Chester, other than a lot of carryall photos I've seen on the net that make me drool. I'd love to get my hands on a WC53 with a decent body, but I think the chances are just slightly better than winning the lotto.

I should probably just narrow it down though and go with an M-37 as they seem plentiful both trucks and parts and I see them coming up for sale pretty regular.

You guys know anything about John Colwell, vintagemilitarytrucks.com? several M37's listed there and they all seem to be close by.

Comment

Man, Hill Country

I enjoyed the "hill country" both times I visited. I did say that Sid is in Raisin, TX didn't I? I haven't heard of John Colwell, but that don't mean anything, Heh! Have you lurked around ebay any at all?

Comment

I've been looking pretty much everywhere on the net and other places for a while. Looking through a lot of folks restoration logs and such, looking at sites that sell parts etc. Trucks on ebay seem to go fo a premium. I've found a couple dozen M37's for sale all over the country through one classified or another, none in shape for a price that made me jump on it yet.

Even found some ads for a few carryalls, but either too expensive or more of a job than I'm prepared to undertake right now.

One of two things will happen, I'll find one I like for a good price that needs work or eventually the funds I'm putting away toward it will be enough to buy one already pretty well restored.

I subscribed here and I went ahead and got that 30 back issues deal while I was at it, hope that was worth doing.

I'm also looking to find where the best rallies are held and go see a few.

Comment

[quote=jmacqueen;44860] Too bad I'm stuck in the Dallas Area... I'm a native born in Austin, raised around Houston/Beaumont mostly.

JMmac, I lived in the Dallas area during my teenage years, mainly Arlington. To me the best thing about Texas is they know how to drive!!!!

I would be looking around Nevada or New Mexico where rot is not really an issue since you are in TX.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X