My PW Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My PW Story

I can't remember not being around Power Wagons. This story could get very long, for everyone's sake I'll try to be brief! Since I was born, the local forest fire warden,who was my neighbor, had a PW in his yard for his job. This man was like a second father to me at times and taught my how to fight forest fires as well. He was also a mechanic and I would help him fix the truck often. The State Forest Fire Service repair shop was behind my school, so after school instead of going home I would hang out there and watch and learn. I guess that is how I got started with my compasion for noble trucks and the men who ran them. At the age of 18 I was hired full time for the Forest Fire Service in NJ, and 20+ years later I am still there dealing with the fleet. In that course of time, I have aquired about 20 or so Power Wagons, weather for parts or restoration. I never thought I could possibly loose it all in a divorce, but I did. It was a very sad day when the tractor trailers came and took about 15 years of hard work away. But in the last 5 years my new marriage has produced two of the best trucks I have ever owned and she is very supportive of the restoration process. I gave her one-it is a fire truck that now carries two kegs of beer to picnics and othe legal gatherings. Any way, I'm finally back into it and all is well. The stories of mashing through the woods, winching up mountains and crossing swamps are as endless as the days and nights we have to do it each year during the fire season. All I can say is Dodge trucks, wether Power Wagons or other types have never let us down. Never. For all my time at work and play in these vehicles, we have always returned home to our families safe and sound, and that's really important! Sometimes I feel like one of the luckiest people alive to have been able to have so much access to so such a great truck, and I can't see that ever changing. We're also pretty fortunate to have folks like Gordon and VPW to keep things going, most of us couldn't run these trucks without their help! Thanks for letting me share a little- it's good to be back!
    Chris Irick-Asst. Division Forest Fire Warden, NJ Forest Fire Service

You're right Chris!

Hey Chris, I've been a Central/South Jersey resident all my life and I too have the Power Wagon bug. I currently work at the New Lisbon State School which affords me the opportunity to check out the trucks at the Brendan Byrne Forest. There is a nicely restored flat fender there that will make one drool. An old flat fender from Griggstown is also there that I assume will be restored one day. It's good to see the almost 20 year old Power Wagons still in service. The newer Fords are supposed to be okay but kind of lack the charisma the older trucks have. Will there be a switch back to Dodge in the future? Who knows. My dad owned a 1942 Dodge closed cab in the 60s that he used for snow plowing, that I was able to drive in the back fields of my Grandmother's farm. Even at 9 years old I was hooked. I currently have a 2005 PW and it's a great truck. But if given the choice, I'd be cruising down Rte 72 at 45mph in an old flat fender! Best of Luck...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Irick
      I can't remember not being around Power Wagons. This story could get very long, for everyone's sake I'll try to be brief! Since I was born, the local forest fire warden,who was my neighbor, had a PW in his yard for his job. This man was like a second father to me at times and taught my how to fight forest fires as well. He was also a mechanic and I would help him fix the truck often. The State Forest Fire Service repair shop was behind my school, so after school instead of going home I would hang out there and watch and learn. I guess that is how I got started with my compasion for noble trucks and the men who ran them. At the age of 18 I was hired full time for the Forest Fire Service in NJ, and 20+ years later I am still there dealing with the fleet. In that course of time, I have aquired about 20 or so Power Wagons, weather for parts or restoration. I never thought I could possibly loose it all in a divorce, but I did. It was a very sad day when the tractor trailers came and took about 15 years of hard work away. But in the last 5 years my new marriage has produced two of the best trucks I have ever owned and she is very supportive of the restoration process. I gave her one-it is a fire truck that now carries two kegs of beer to picnics and othe legal gatherings. Any way, I'm finally back into it and all is well. The stories of mashing through the woods, winching up mountains and crossing swamps are as endless as the days and nights we have to do it each year during the fire season. All I can say is Dodge trucks, wether Power Wagons or other types have never let us down. Never. For all my time at work and play in these vehicles, we have always returned home to our families safe and sound, and that's really important! Sometimes I feel like one of the luckiest people alive to have been able to have so much access to so such a great truck, and I can't see that ever changing. We're also pretty fortunate to have folks like Gordon and VPW to keep things going, most of us couldn't run these trucks without their help! Thanks for letting me share a little- it's good to be back!
      Chris Irick-Asst. Division Forest Fire Warden, NJ Forest Fire Service
      I have no requirement that you be brief. Tell us as much as you wish....
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Welcome Chris!!

Pieter

Comment

Welcome Chris!
          If the requirement was to be brief, I would have been banned a long time ago....ha!ha!
          MN

Comment

Nammy:

Drawn out and slow. Poor Chris posted back in Feb and it took 6 months 'fore anyone noticed. WE SORRY CHRIS!
            WELCOME!

Ugg

Comment

Working...
            X