Tire Chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Chains

What are the thoughts about the relative effectiveness compared to the cost of different styles of tire chains? I have used the traditional ladder style chains with good results, and am wondering about the diamond pattern chains offered by Rud and Pewag. They seem to offer advantages, but the price of the diamond pattern chains can run over $1000/pair.

Ladder vs. mesh

If you're familiar with using ladder style tire chains, you understand their capabilities. The tire rolls along from one cross-chain to the next. Bump, bump, bump, bump. This it where the additional traction is realized. The tire may have a chance to touch the ground without a cross chain underneath, which is not a good thing. If the vehicle is on flat ground, you will experience a little slipping, and reduced forward motion. No big deal, really. Sometimes you can cannabalize another set of chains and add another cross chain in each open space. Sometimes this is worth doing, and sometimes not. Chains with very long cross chains will probably just bunch up and cause more bouncing, which equalls less traction. An optimum length would span the width of the footprint, and down each sidewall no more than about two inches. Side chains should always accomodate this length, and be made up (connected) as tight as possible.

Ladder type chains are at a disadvantage when the slick surface tilts to the side, as the tire rolls across voids between the cross chains. This type of terrain is best suited for the mesh type, non-skid chains we see made in Europe. There is an extensive ammount of labor involved in producing this type of chain. The benifit is having a nearly identical number of traction elements in contact with the "ground" at any wheel position. The drawback is extremely high price.

I am running a set of Rud Supergreifsteg chains, which are made of high-manganese steel, and utilize an intricate array of additional tractive elements. Every other link of the surface chain has a plate which resembles another chain link, installed in a perpindicular position. They have room to move around a bit, and really put the bite on ice. Consider how this configuration allows the chain to run either side out. There is no longer an "inside" or an "outside" surface of the chain. These tire chains should, in theory, last twice as long.

For many years I ran a set of Swedish military chains which had a surface chain zig-zag from one side of the chain to the other. They are made of 8mm. square-stock links for the surface, with a pronged connection at each change in direction. They are extremely effective at all positions, and have held my truck on 20 degree sidehill on ice. Don't try ladder chains on that. Your truck will slide off like it's a sled on runners.

If you operate in steep, tippy, mountainous terrain, mesh chains are going to be necessary if you want all the traction you can get.
    Otherwise, a ladder chain can be used when the main objective is to have additional traction for forward motion.

Comment

I rather thought that was the rationale for diamond pattern chain. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Comment

A visual.
        Attached Files
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

This is a very interesting subject. I am only familiar with the ladder type but can clearly see the advantage of the other type. Thank you for the information.

Comment

Cooool! Can't wait to get that issue!
            1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
            1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
            1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Most of the chains range between $40 to $80. The prices based on type and quality.

Comment

Working...
              X