Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy an M37 Manifold Assembly from VPW...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy an M37 Manifold Assembly from VPW...

...and this is what you get:

It's so pretty I can barely stand it.

Might have spoken too soon...

I noticed that the intake manifold flanges and the exhaust manifold flanges are not flush with each other.

As you can see in the picture below, the intake flange hits the straight edge before the exhaust does. I feel like when some torque is applied it'll put undue stress on the flange...and we all know how much bending stress cast iron takes.

Is this the way it's supposed to be?

Comment

Whoops! You don't mount it like that. Either loosen the manifolds from each other, as the procedure in the manual states, or have the manifolds ground to the same plane. You do have a manual, don't you? Do it right, and have fun.
      John

Comment

Originally posted by John Waak View Post
        Whoops! You don't mount it like that. Either loosen the manifolds from each other, as the procedure in the manual states, or have the manifolds ground to the same plane. You do have a manual, don't you? Do it right, and have fun.
        I see what you're talking about, here's what the manual says:

1,. Assemble intake Manifold to Exhaust 3lanifolcl. Lay straight-
        edge (41-S-5858) lengthwise over the gasket surfaces of port flanges
        of the manifold assembly to check for uniform height of the flanges. If
        a O.OlO-inch feeler gage will pass between the straightedge and any of
        the manifold flanges, Ioosen the cap screws which hold the manifolds to-
        gether and shift the manifolds, if possible, to overcome the uneven con- dition of the flanges. If necessary, resurface the flanges just enough to
        make them even.

It looks to me like it's a fair amount off. Also, it runs downhill. What I mean is that on one end of the manifold the flanges are farther off from each other than on the other end. This might be an adventure.

Edit: Alright, I did what the manual said and put it up against a straight edge. I loosened the bolts that connect the two manifolds and tried to make them even. No good. A little frustrating, but I think it's an easy fix. Still, it's the prettiest set of manifolds I think I've ever seen.
        Last edited by JStinson; 03-22-2012, 07:52 PM. Reason: More research

Comment

Update

I called VPW today. I told them the problem. They were very apologetic and said that someone in their machine shop must have missed a step.

They're having it shipped back to be reground and fixed free of charge.

I wish every company operated like VPW.

Comment

that is nice!! So that is what that "winter/Summer" thing looks like when new... I don't think mine has moved in the past 50 years....

Wayne

Comment

Good that you are not in a big rush and just bolted it up. For sure you would have heard "ping". and then the cussing would begin.
              If you ever get a master cylinde from them , take it apart and nake sure the stop washer/spacer is in there . I had one and it drove me nuts trying to figure out why the brakes would not work right.
              That said the manifold does look nice but not as nice as the one I got from M sieries rebuild.

Comment

Thats good of them to fix it for you!

I have never had anything other than pleasant experiences dealing with them...

Comment

Working...
                X