They were everywhere....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They were everywhere....

As a kid In the 70's they were all around. We had a Dodge dealer in town and everybody bought a Dodge. Even if they didn't like them, it was convenient and the dealer served its customers well. They were the work trucks that all the guys in family used. Pretty much every government agency was buying Dodge trucks, because they were cheap and rugged/ dependable. My dad drove a 74 W200 with a plow, and on occasion I could go for a ride in the company truck. That truck still exists today, unfortuneately I recently visited it and it is beyond repair. My uncle worked for the town and when he would come home for lunch I would sit in the driver's seat and pretend to drive that lime yellow W300 dump to probably California and back in 30 minutes(at least in my 4 yr mind!).We are related to the family that owned the Dodge dealer, so from time to time we would borrow diferent used dumps for projects around the relatives' houses. We were kinda like the amish in that we were always working together at everyone's house.(mostly my dad doin the work).
    As the years rolled along, they were still ever present in my travels, along highways, and in towns doing service to contractors and government. When I was 15 i started to look for a truck to have ready for my license, and immediately sought a w350. Dad kinda talked me into a Dakota eventually, for economy sake, but it didn't take too long for me to upgrade to a full size and from there, I just kept buying and selling. When i was 18 I joined my Uncles fighting forest fires here in NJ and thats when i learned just how rugged a Dodge is. I have been on numerous fires in the rugged hilly terrain of North Jersey and had my share of experiences in the sugary sand of the Pine Barrens. The old Power Rams are are perfect for climbing hills and navigating boulder strewn woodlands carrying thousands of pounds of excessive weight in water and equipment to fires. Trucks with 11,000 GVW's were often driven for tens thousands of miles in excess of 14,000 lbs. Winching thru mud, rubbing up on trees, and dragging over rock. Never did I see one suffer any frame damage from the rigorous abuse they sometimes endured.They weren't the fastest reponse to a fire, but they were the most sure footed, dependable, beasts of burden of their day, only rivaled by their Dodge predecessors.
    In my 33 years, I have owned upwards of thirty Dodge Trucks. Most of them being Power Rams , with a few 70's models mixed in. I have driven the other brands and would never convert. The Dodges have so much character, and will always be a huge part of my existence. Other than family, they are like that favorite pet you look forward to coming home to or being with.Today they are not so prevalent, so I guess I keep a few around to remind me of my good ol days.When I look at them they always make me think of some fond memory growing up. Today, I look ahead to try and maybe recreate for my kids those confident feelings I had in my dad or uncle and the truck that got us through the snow, mud or other job and did it well. I have to say I have broken down a couple times in a Dodge, but it was never serious and we were always back on the road in a couple minutes. To be continued.....

I remember the whole sitting behind the wheel and pretend driving all over the world. What a great memory. I also remember reaching down in the ash tray and grabing a nearly smoked up Winston and pretend smoking while I was pretend driving. However that was not a pretend whoopin I got.

I got to admit I envy all these snow plow stories on here. Being from Arkansas we might and I mean MIGHT get snow 2 days a year. Never seen a plow mounted to a pickup truck in my life. Only to the highway department trucks that might come out 2 days a year.

thanks for the story...

Comment

Working...
    X