An American Overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An American Overseas

I got started with Powerwagons back in 2002 when I purchased a 1961 M37B1 from a local over here in Austria. Being an American living over here, I find that I often seek out activities and pastimes that remind me of home and the USA—I guess that's normal. Following the purchase of the truck, I have discovered that working on it and restoring it has been a deeply meaningful and satisfying experience. I'm at best a shade-tree mechanic and the area of vehicle restoration was generally a new one, but still; as I figure things out, make mistakes, correct them, and then go on to another assembly, I find myself connected with something very good that is purely American. I can't really explain it—but there you go.

A bit more...

Within the first week after purchasing the truck, I decided to rebuild the distributor and wrote to John Bizal for new weights, springs, etc. I recall writing: "I need these because some previous owner put two weights of different tension in the stupid thing!" — that's where I'm at. But I'm still at it and haven't yet been disappointed or frustrated (with myself or the truck) enough to quit. I love every minute.

Comment

How are you doing with that distributor?

It would be interesting to know how the locals view your presence on the road in an American military vehicle.....
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
      X